cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Nodrog72
Occasional Contributor

Optus NBN speed is disgraceful

How is it that my regular Telstra mobile 4g gives me 30 - 55 megabits per  second  but my Optus NBN FTTP is 1.5 to 12 mbps. When I am on a 50 mbps plan. I really want to swear and throttle someone!  I’m close to leaving Optus Reporting to TIO and ACCC for breach of contract and misleading customers. I’ve tried several firmware updates. Restarts, factory restarts. Even changed to a f-link 1750AC to increase speed and wifi coverage. No luck. It’s to do with Optus not buying enough bandwidth. The CVC. I should at least ask for a refund against the poor service. Didn’t Telstra recently be prosecuted for this sort of thing. Any help or advice is greatly welcomed!

many thanks

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus NBN speed is disgraceful

First up if you want to complain then tio is your best stop. You should also first do an official complaint with Optus. (Write and post)

Before that there should be a better fix though. First confirm its a CVC issue. Is it 12 Mbps max all day or just 7pm to midnight? If it's all day then it's not Optus scrimping on bandwidth. 

FTTP is basically fool proof for speed. If you're not getting close to 50 then get Optus to lodge the issue with NBNCo. Failing NBNCo resolving the issue Optus will usually cancel any contacts without penalty. Compensation is usually a more difficult area.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Moderator Shauna

Hey @Nodrog72 - apologies to hear of your poor speeds. Sounds like you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting here, so we can look into your service and confirm whether this is a congestion issue or something else. Can you please send us a private message with your →

Account number

Full name

DOB 

Account holder Y/N

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Contributor SteveGee
Contributor

Same old same old, no offence, name dob, account number of course they are needed, but then day after day same story over and over. So here is my ten cents worth.

Been on four weeks on wifi three weeks  ago got 48 Mbps.

My current is 12 down and 5 up like this person.

imam told in no uncertain terms it’s congestion.

so I intend to talk to the high end nbn people fwiw instead of the low end? Help desk and opt out if contract.

If allowed.

Then I will attempt to do it all on a byo modem non contract.

cant do any worse than the current debacle.

And OPTUS take a look around you, most laptops and all iPads can5 have Ethernet leads plugged in so hanging it on wifi as the reason for slow speed and saying go Ethernet is flawed logic.

I have a tio com0laint in and well done optus my previous complaints went in after one or two years with other isps, you have a too complaint  from me in 21+ days.

I want out, you sold me 50 mbps you gave me 30 on Ethernet shackled to a wire and 12 on wifi.

That is a no brainer and the tv ad has now dropped to 40: 

how about we try tier three anyone for 100 nbn aka maybe around 30  lol. 

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
Contributor SteveGee
Contributor

Steve see below above 

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

What you've contributed so far suggests congestion is not the issue. Its hard to say for sure as you're not providing any feedback to questions asked. Congestion can't happen 24/7. Wifi speeds are unrelated to wired speeds (other than wired sets the top possible) so if you're getting low wired and then lower wifi something else is going on.

If you want out then one of the great things about the NBN is you can chose any ISP to provide the internet. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor SteveGee
Contributor

So how are we the end user supposed to figure that out?

despite six or seven help desk chats where line was checked several drop outs and complaints by friends that our home phone on voip was not available and an offer to send a dual band modem, very little has transpired.

the most recent being to fiddle with the modem and drop one setting to stable from standard dropping the off peak speed from 48 to 33 or so.

maybe you should offer to help them you seem so sure it’s not the issue, or are you suggesting the average consumer should try to fix his own problems.

what I know is optus advertised 50 gave 40 initially now advertise 40 and give 30..

as for exiting I signed up as a loyal customer for two years, are you suggesting I vote with my feet and exit and suffer a fine penalty and not get them to fix it.

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
Moderator Shauna

Hey @SteveGee - can see we've responded to your private message requesting further info. Please respond there so we can assist further, cheers!

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SteveGee

I totally agree with you that it is on Optus to try sort these issues. That said, around 50% of customer issues end up being because of settings or hardware inside the customers home. Optus are required to typically get 40-50Mbps speeds to your front door. If they are doing that then their obligations have been fulfilled. 

I can't say for certain what your issues are but I'm suggesting that you are perhaps looking in the wrong place if you think they are congestion related. You'll never get anything fixed looking in the wrong place. Congestion is a specific (Optus related) issue, but to be experiencing it you would expect to get slow speeds between 7pm and 11pm and top speeds outside this (try a speed test at 10am). 

If the issue is slow speeds all day round (for FTTP) then its either,

1. A modem issue

2. Something going wrong with the NBNCo 

3. Something going wrong at Optus

In all cases Optus has to handle the fix. They should be contacting NBNCo if they can't figure the issue themselves as they are your go between. Given you are FTTP I would be extremely sure that there is something actually going wrong somewhere and once a solution is found you'll have you 50Mbps (or 100Mbps) on tap.

Not suggesting you pay any penalty, if Optus can't hit 40Mbps in peak hour "typically" then they are obligated to offer you a straight forward exit with no penalties. It looks like @Shauna is happy to look into what is going on behind the scenes so hopefully that kick starts a resolution.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor SteveGee
Contributor

Shauna

Got your private message

Its 100pm no calls

Just checked and speed is 12.7 down 7 up middle of day non peak.

This is a disgrace.

Its 25% of what I am paying for.

So when do I hear from you with an exit solution please?

Steve

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
Top Contributors