Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
guykd
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus NBN modem blocking FTP

Hi, this is urgent.

I am admin for a website http://everist.org

My administration of this site is via FTP (FileZilla) and cPanel - web.

My home switched to NBN recently. My site's cPanel admin pages are still accessible, but for the first time I since the NBN modem was installed I need to FTP to my site. Urgently.

But it doesn't work. FileZilla cannot make a connection. it appears that FTP/SFTP is completely blocked via my new NBN connection to the net. Whether in the local modem or NBN infrastructure I don't know.

I can log into the modem's admin pages, but can't see where in the menus there might be something about blocking/unblocking SFTP.

The modem is a Sagemcom Gateway F@st 5366 LTE

My email: hidden

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tuong_YC

Re: Optus NBN modem blocking FTP

Hey @guykd, thanks for reaching out. Its not great to see that you are having issues reaching your website via your preferred software- however updating to the NBN network should have any impact on your access. I would recommend having a look at our Modem Guides to make sure that your set up was in spec and working in good order.

Sometimes when migrating onto the NBN, prior settings can be forgotten and so its just a matter of resetting it back up. I would recommend having a look into your software handbook to have this installed once again

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

There is definitely no network level blocking.

With FTP your web host may be blocking FTP that is not over TLS.

With SFTP your web host may be prohibiting SSH until you temporarily enable it with them.

Both of these cases were true for me.

guykd
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions.

It turned out the problem was a recent misconfiguration of the web server's firewall. (Not by me.) The site provider had shotgun disabled lots of ports in response to some brute force attempts to gain entry. Disabled the port used for SFTP on the server.

He just happened to do this around the same time as my home network switched to NBN. Hence my suspecting that was the cause.

Now fixed.

0 Kudos