Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus NBN is useless

The title says it all. Download speeds are NEVER what I pay for. Constant drop-outs, even below 500kbs. I don’t know how they’re just completely fine with ripping me off with their “24mbs download speed” when I average 6mbs. Their support team is even worse, immediately sets you up for failure. “Have you restarted your router?” “Move closer to the router”, “there’s a problem with your router”. They already know that none of these things work, yet they continue to suggest them to shut you up, and continue to take your money. Just look at how many complaints are on this website about the same things, that’s enough to know that this provider is absolutely garbage. Enough has been said here, NO ONE BUY OPTUS NBN!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus NBN is useless

The question is really why you are giving your money to Optus? NBNCo have a minimum speed requirement of 25Mbps to all houses. If you're getting 6Mbps then something is wrong. Optus should be sending an NBN tech out to investigate. If they can't improve the speed then request any contract be ended and you leave without penalty (usually means don't have to pay residule for the modem). Then get onto Whirlpool and do some research on what are recommended RSPs and see if one of those can't sort the issue - the great thing about NBN is portability.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Optusnbnsucks, sorry if you feel that way. Understand this is frustrating. With regards to speed it depends on various factors. Further investigation needs to be done on your connection. We don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. If you have a social media account then please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance in this regards.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

petergdownload

Is that correct that NBNCo  Guarantee a minimum of 25Mbps for every household. I am on the 50/20 Mbps plan and i have never reached 25Mbps. I ring up and ask why i end up with a $20 discount for 3 months until the problem is fixed (it hasn't been fixed yet) and after the 3 months is up i have to ring up again and go through the process all over again. I can understand the OP's frustration with this , But until either Optus or NBNCo can get their act to-gether nothing will change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There is a third option for change (and that is you getting your act together). Its highly likely that a different RSP can get NBNCo to do what its meant to. Even if they can't then you're no worse off. As long as you're ok to accept a $20 monthly discount then I'm sure Optus are happy to keep cashing the rest of the money you're paying them. Suggest you look around for a good month to month contract (whirlpool)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Therein lies the problem. I have contacted both Telstra and Aussie Broadband as well as two more (IINet and TPG) and all cannot say they will better the speed i am currently getting. and all of them are saying it is an NBNCo problem.

So changing RSP's will not solve anything, I will still have woeful speeds but with a different provider. My connection (FTTN) is fairly stable just slow.

I also have FetchTV and 2 Mobiles with Optus. I am not Really complaining about Optus ( they can only give what NBNCo give them and according to Optus NBNCo has capped my speed at 25Mbps, I don't know why and NBNCo will not talk me i have to go thru Optus with any queries.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"all cannot say they will better the speed i am currently getting"
They can't. It doesn't mean you won't but they can't promise it.

"So changing RSP's will not solve anything"
It's very likely it will. The issue here isn't 25Mbps the issue is the 6Mbps. The RSP (and the NBN) must provide it. Some RSPs are better than others at getting the NBN to fix the issue rather than say its not their problem (which is illegal btw)

"I don't know why and NBNCo will not talk me i have to go thru Optus"
Because you are not a customer of the NBN. You are a customer of Optus. Optus are a customer of the NBN. You can complain to Optus about poor performance and Optus can complain to NBNCo about poor performance.

Optus (and most RSPs) got severely wrapped on the knuckles last year when they provided poor speeds that didn't match what they advertised and then blamed the NBN for the problems.

As I say, at this point the problem (or solution) is not the NBN and not Optus but yourself. If you're happy enough with 6Mbps average then that's what you'll get. If you want better (or even the chance of better) then you'll need to do more than just ring around.

As a second tip, ditch the RSP provided Fetch. You never own it and if you do ever leave Optus then its gone. You can buy one from Fetch themselves for $300 off eBay that is yours to keep forever.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I think you have me confused with 0ptusNBNsucks  who is getting the 6Mbps  My post said i was on the 50/20Mbps plan and had never got 25Mbps. The Op was on the 25Mbps plan and was getting 6Mbps.

My average speed is between 19Mbps and 22Mbps and as i posted My speed is capped by NBNCo at 25Mbps ( Half of what i am paying for ). So going to another RSP would make no difference as i am capped at 25Mbps by NBNCo. ( unless other RSP's can do what Optus cannot and get NBNCo to give me Better speeds ).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Confused indeed. FTTN is definitely the losing hand of the NBN rollout sorry. Its a shame almost half the country has been dealt it. Your speeds (20Mbps) do raise the possibility you've been placed on a 25Mbps plan (by Optus). RSPs sometimes get the settings mixed up. However its also quite possible the FTTN is only capable to 25Mbps max to your house. The $20 a month refund you get is the difference between the Optus 50Mbps plan and 25Mbps (so you're actually getting what you're paying for which is good)

I would still suggest changing RSPs (yes some are actually better at getting the NBN to reassess your line and see if it can be improved from that end). I would suggest Aussie BroadBand for its month to month options and if you get the connection sorted you can skip back to Optus after that. Of course the hassle is your Fetch will be cancelled. I'd still agree with you that you may find little improvement in your situation but it would at least confirm that 25Mbps is the best you can get until 5G hits your area.

A lot of FTTN issues are also improved by some simple wiring tips in your own home (or by switching in a cheap $30 modem with a better chipset for handling FTTN). You can ask on whirlpool for some of those.
0 Kudos