Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Ronie
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus NBN Static IP address

Hi all,

I am struggling to get an answer on this - how do I order a static external IP address on NBN from Optus?

Thankyou.

Ronie

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus NBN Static IP address

You don't. Optus only offer this for business customers.

Are you familiar with DYNDNS?

Are you on a contract or a Month to Month plan? 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Ronie
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm on a month to month plan at the moment.

I have CCTV cameras and require a Static IP to be able to access these remotely and it was fine pre-NBN (i.e. ADSL, etc). Now on NBN it flicks about IP's whenever it feels like it which means I don't see the cameras more than I do (unless I keep changing the settings on the NVR). 😞

I've read bits and pieces about DYNDNS - would this solve my issue? Any recommendations on providers, etc?

Thanks again,

Ronie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Ronie,

Will PM some info.

What model cameras do you have? They probably have a DYNDNS service built in. Basically internet capable equipment (modems, cameras, etc.) have a DYDNS settings page. They monitor the IP address they have been assigned

You first get a DYNDNS account ($20 a year or something) and this assigns you a domain name (e.g. roniehome.dydns.org) DYNDNS matches that name to an IP address on the internet (same as www.optus.com.au => 233.43.112.43) Your cameras are all connected to a single modem on the property? The modem will probably have a DYNDNS settings page where you put in your domain name. Whenever the modem changes its IP address (is reset) then the modem sends the newly assigned address over to DYNDNS. 

This way you never have to worry about the actual IP address - just type in roniehome.dydns.org

Note you use port forwarding (again on the modem) to be able to access different cameras on the same IP address. See here

Its not 100% as definite as a static IP but for most home/business security its 99% reliable.

Regards

Petee Gillespie

0 Kudos
ovel
New Contributor
New Contributor

It's possible, I've got one. When I signed my optus NBN transition in one of Optus offices, they asked me if I need a Stativ IP. I said yes, and it's free of charge. 

0 Kudos
rowatt
New Contributor
New Contributor

Static IPs are not available to home or business customers who use the Optus Cable Broadband network.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors