cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Optus NBN Retention Team is a Termination Team.

After often complaining about not getting the speed I am paying for on my NBN plan, (around 3Mbps at peak time on a 50MBPS speed boost plan) and contacting the fault team that could, of course not help, I was sent a Yes Crowd Moderator private message asking me to contact the Optus Retention Team.

I have spoken to the Retention Team at Optus (Protibha was the name of the agent) and, I can say that they are happy to let customers who complain, go, not even the usual "we apologise" or "we are sorry about this" or any talk of getting a credit on the bill, just "if you are not happy with the service, you can end your contract whitout penalties, or early termination fees". It feels like they are saying "basically, we don't care if you have been a good customer for more than10 years, just piss off, there's  plenty of other people to replace you and by the time they start complaining, we will have taken their money as well ! .... NEXT !

I have also called another branch of Optus ( Spoke to Mercy) and she said she was going to escalate (Hahahahaha) and that a supervisor would call me within 24H (another Hahahahaha), when I said to her that they never call back, she said "yes I assure you that she will call you within 24H", that was on the 14th of March, today is the 19th and of course .... as you guessed, NO CALL, as usual. She even gave me the name of the ghost supervisor supposed to call me when I asked her ...Devangi, but I never heard from Devangi, if she exist at all.

So, if you wish to end your contract early because of the poor speed and services Optus is providing, , just call the Retention Team on 1300 555 241.

I will also make a complaint to The ACCC and the TIO, (you should do the same if you are not satisfied, people power, ), maybe one day they will do something about it other than writing reports.

11 Replies
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Re: Optus NBN Retention Team is a Termination Team.

Hi @Caledoz, I've responded to your other post about this issue. There's absolutely no problem with starting new threads and being active in community discussion, we encourage it, but if you could please refrain from copying + pasting the same message across multiple threads this will prevent your contributions from being flagged as spam and allow us to respond to you in a timely manner.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor JuicyCreative
Occasional Contributor

Optus is a bunch of thief to be honest. been with them for god knows how long,  always been congested, never got any upgrade in my area whatsoever, last week ive ordered my Telstra nbn, im hoping they;ll give me a better service..

XXXX off optus 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey @JuicyCreative, I can appreciate your frustration however please be mindful of the language used when posting on our forum as this goes against our guidelines. I do apologise we couldn't provide a resolution. If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Hannah-L

Ok, sorry, I will keep it to one thread, I was not sure that my post would be read by a moderator on the other thread.

Thank you for helping with the phone call from a supervisor.

The speed problem was not solved, but it helped to talk to someone that could do something for me.

Contributor kpc32
Contributor

@Caledoz - What did they offer you?

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@kpc32

Not that much, $20 discount for 3 months, but that's better than nothing.

Put it this way, I don't think that the problemn will be resolved soon, but the discount will bring my bill down to about what I was paying for my previous ADSL2 + plan and I was only getting 1.5 Mbps at best, now with NBN, I am getting 3.5 Mbps a worst and usually around 47Mbps during the day (except weekends).

My upload speed is around 19Mbps at all time, with ADSL 2+ I was getting 0.8Mbps max

I also get the Fetch entertainement pack with my plan that I was not getting with my ADSL2+.

I know that it is not good enough, but frankly, I am getting sick and tired of wasting my time on the phone with Optus and complaining on forums, so I will take this for now and see if anything has lmproved in 3 months time, if not, I will start complaining again, but louder.

I was thinking of leaving, Optus, but after reading a few forums, I don't think that the grass is greener on the other side either.

I think that they made me that offer for 3 months because this is what will happen in 3 months time ( actually closer to 2 months):

nbn – the company building Australia’s broadband network – has announced it will be moving to a new discount model for its Connectivity Virtual Circuit (CVC) charge, to further encourage high quality broadband services on the nbn™ network.

The new model, which comes into effect on 1 June 2017, calculates the discount based on individual retailer averages, as opposed to an industry average. It automatically reduces the price of CVC as the average amount of CVC per end user increases.

So maybe, try to get something like a discount for yourself and hang in there untill the 1st of June if you can.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor JuicyCreative
Occasional Contributor

That is crazy how you got discount on ur bill, ive been paying full bill for 8 months now, asked them several time for discount but they always say NO because congestion is not a line problem... 

this is stupid.. get fuc/ked optus, my nbn telstra wil be activated tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor MV12
New Contributor

If I call them, will I be able to cancel my NBN contract? 

I was originally with Optus Cable, then received a letter informing if I didn’t change to NBN before Feb, my Optus cable service would be cut off. That’s fair enough. 

What I didn’t realise, was that when I called to change to NBN, I was put on a 24 month contract instead of the other month by month NBN option. 

I’m paying for the speed pack 2 (NBN25),

supposed to have 23Mbps Down OFF peak, and 15Mbps Download peak speed. However, we’re only getting 3-5mbps download speed during peak and 6-9mbps download during off peak. PLUS when trying to connect via wifi in the next room over to where the modem is installed, the wifi doesn’t connect! 

I spoke to Optus via live chat already, and fixed the issue which lasted for the day, but the speed is still not what is expected. I don’t even bother connecting to my Optus NBN service anymore for normal internet browsing (not even loading videos), as the speed is that slow .. I use my mobile 4G from Vodafone. 

Further to that, they sent my bill via paper? When I was already a paperless bill on my Optus Cable, why would it be changed? So I try to log into my account dashboard, the service isn’t listed ! 

Just want to cancel my internet service with Optus, frustrated to have to deal with this, when it should’ve been a clean cut change from cable to NBN. 

Such a shame, as the cable internet I had with Optus prior to NBN, was perfect, now service is just disappointing. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor t0mmykn1fe
Occasional Contributor

Dear Optus, Please advise on the following: 

• Why when I transferred from NSW to TAS and moved my Cable connection to an NBN connection was I not told that I would be RE-CONTRACTED until January 2020? 
  • Why was I never provided any hardware (Router or Fetch box)?
    • You • 06:21 PM
    • Hours of operation for the retention team, please?
    • KarlKum • 06:26 PM
    • I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm afraid you will be charged with the cancellation fee upto $500 
    • You • 06:27 PM
      Do you have any legitimate reason to give as to why i have not received the service that you are contractually obligated to provide?
      contractually you are obligated to provide hardware which you have admitted you have not done
      ?
    • KarlKum • 06:28 PM
      I the modem is not provided to all the customers however the modem on the $80 plan it's for the customers who sign for the first time with Optus 
    • You • 06:29 PM
      That is not an excuse for not providing a customer with any hardware for a contractually locked obligation. What are the hours of the onshore Retention team here KarlKum?
    • KarlKum • 06:31 PM
      Our onshore retention team are available at 133937 between Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday – 8am to 7pm Thursday, Friday – 8am to 8pm Saturday – 9am to 6pm
  • Why have I been unable to log into my own account until your agent “attached it”?
  • Why, am I paying $100pm for speed pack 4 (reference for confirming speed pack is 2057187616-20898) and only getting 17mbps with you?
    • You agent stated I should be receiving 100mbps and that there is “nothing he can do” 
    • You • 06:00 PM
      What speeds should i expect to see now would you say?
    • KarlKum • 06:00 PM
      You should speed of 100Mbps however if the speed is low I can get you connected to the tech
  • Why does your Customer Relations team also act as a retention team?
  • Why do you have an offshore retention team and an onshore retention team?
  • Why when i advise that i wish to cancel based on the service not being “fit for purpose” (speed + lack of hardware) does your agent tell me that i need to pay $500 cancellation and when i ask to speak to retention he says he is retention and there is nothing he can do?
  • Why when i ask the agent to transfer me to his manager he lies about the transfer and then cuts of the chat? (reference 2057187616-20898)
    • You • 06:31 PM
    • Please transfer/naming me to your supervisor so i may initiate a formal complaint process in regards to your customer care negligence, please
    • You • 06:31 PM
      Please transfer me to your supervisor so i may initiate a formal complaint process in regards to your customer care negligence please
    • KarlKum • 06:32 PM
      Okay,Please allow me 2 minutes while I check with my supervisor 
    • You • 06:32 PM
      Ok
    • KarlKum • 06:33 PM
      Thank you 
    • KarlKum • 06:37 PM
      Hello Thomas.. this is spence Karl's supervisor...
    • You • 06:38 PM
      Please transfer the chat to your own line
    • You • 06:39 PM
      Otherwise you could just be Karl telling me your spence
    • You • 06:39 PM
      thanks
    • KarlKum • 06:39 PM
      Thomas, I am spence I have taken over the chat from Karl, it is been transferred over...
    • You • 06:41 PM
      Ok, if that is the case please prove if with either one of the following methods, chat transfer, employee reference number or full name / email address
    • You • 06:41 PM
      thanks
    • You • 06:42 PM
      You will forgive me for not believing you as i am about to make a formal complaint about your agent and prior to you telling me your are you the window with VANCE says VANCE and so the window should now say SPENCE which it dowes not
    • KarlKum • 06:43 PM
      I'll be right with you.
  • I have evidence that all your chats use transfer / naming so that if the name changes and its not due to the person using the other person computer it is impossible that the chat was transferred
    • This is illegal and constitutes as attempted defrauding of me and the name of the entity the agent tried to assume as well.
      • You • 06:49 PM
        Before transferring me can you check something for e Omar?
      • Omar N • 06:50 PM
        Please let me know your query to check and assist you further or get you connected to right team.
      • You • 06:50 PM
        Can you confirm that whenever you guys transfer a customer to a different agent that the chat window Name should update?
      • Omar N • 06:50 PM
        Yes, it updates.

Essentially, it boils down to this. your organisation attempted to defraud me. the incompetence of the first agent + the non-mention of the re-contracting is not legal.The fact that your agent KarlKum is horrendously incompetent and yet he is also responsible for the customer service, let alone retention is beyond ridiculous. I will give you one chance to cancel my service without any breakage fee based on the fact that KarlKum actions  HOPEFULLY don’t represent that of Optus as a whole, before i take to Social media, and then to the Ombudsman and then to court for literally anything that i can sue you for. This has literally been the worst customer service experience of my life, and i will not allow this to happen to others less fortunate than myself.  Full chat attachedYou have 48 hours to respond in writing before i take further action. Sincerely  Thomas *moderated*

0 Kudos