cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor jeffbexos
New Contributor

Optus NBN Installation - Confusing Process

Why is Optus NBN installation process so confusing?

After several long wait/aborted phone attempts, I was able to eventually agree to have Optus  NBN installed with one NBN technician visit and one Optus techician visit. I have received several  confirmatory/reminder texts and emails to this effect with appointment dates/times. The NBN technician completed his work on Monday; the Optus technician is due this coming Friday.

BUT ... I keep receiving emails from Optus asking why I have not yet self installed ...

We have noticed that your Optus nbn™ service still hasn't been activated.
If you haven't done so already, all you need to do is connect your Optus modem and you're ready to go. You'll find instructions on how to install ...

Seems like the Optus left hand does not know what the Optus right hand is doing.

I should try to call the service line but, given previous experiences, that in itself is a journey into the unknown.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Optus NBN Installation - Confusing Process

Leaving aside the communication muckups (yes Optus really needs to sort its communications better),  there's likely no reason for the Optus technician to turn up? Optus generally charge $250 or so for that visit. In it the technician will plug your modem in, call Optus and request the line be activated, set up wifi and connect your PC. All of these things you can do now if you want.

Do you have the Optus modem? What NBN technology are you on? (FTTN? HFC?). Do you have a small NBN modem (with one slot out) plugged in?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor

The NBN guy plugged in a black box next to the PC after putting in a cable from the new NBN box on the side of the house,underneath the floor and then drilled a new hole, put in a socket and a white cable to that new box. He also said our phone connection would need to be relocated next to this new black box and the Optus tech would do that.

I have an Optus modem and Fetch box which they sent to me. How do I know what NBN technology we have?

All this has been done because we received a letter saying Optus would cut us off their broadband system as from next month.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can check type here

Doesn't matter though as you have the little NBN modem (that is actually NBN property and you leave it if you ever move house).

Where is your current modem situated? Do you have a phone outlet near where the NBN install the NBN Modem? Is putting the phone near the box preferrable? Do you have a base / handsfree handset? Multiple phone outlets?

The NBN is shutting down all old internet technologies (e.g. Cable, ADSL etc.) Optus have no say in this as legally they aren't allowed to keep providing a service using them.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Oj the broadband system the phone has an outlet from the cable in the kitchen area and the main phone console is there; the computer has a broadband outlet in the study, 8 metres away. There is no phone outlet near the NBN modem. The phone (Uniden) has 3 separate handsets connected by its own wifi.

I've just received another SMS from Optus stating that they have 'noticed my nbn service has not been activated'! They provide links to 'nbnsetupcable' and 'chat2us' for help. I was originally told by the Optus case manager that the Optus tech will activate us on Friday.

This is just getting more confusing - are all us old people supposed to be network gurus?

Are you saying I should do the 'activation/setup' myself?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks.

And yes you certainly can do the last bit of the NBN yourself. You can then decide if you still want the tech to come around (I'm not sure if they do re-wiring though - my understanding is they more do setup using the existing points around your home - I would ask the question when you talk to Optus.)

You can either just call Optus and say you are ready to be stepped through the NBN activation process or live chat etc. Live Chat is probably best on your phone as you might lose internet connection briefly while you switch over to the NBN. 

1) What connection did you have to the internet before this? Optus ADSL or HFC Cable? 

2) I assume the cxurrent Optus modem is plugged in to something other than the new NBN modem?

3) Take a note of the serial numbers on the bottom of the Optus modem and NBN modem

4) Plug the NBN modem into the new Optus Modem (Use the WAN port in the Optus modem - it should be a different colour to the rest of them)

5) Contact Optus (You could download the Optus App to your phone as it has a CHAT TO US feature built in.)

6) Ask to be activated

7) They'll ask you for the serial numbers maybe and activate your line. 

8) They'll talk you to the point where you get the correct green lights up and running.

9) That's it you are activated. 

Next step would be to test out the phone and get your existing equipment (and the FetchTV) setup.

Note the booked technician will do all this for you as well so perhaps it is easiest just to wait.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor

So I tried the setup link that Optus sent me in the text message. The page says click on the link of the type of modem you have (Sagemcom 3864V3) but  nothing happens, it seems it is not a link at all. More and more confusing for the average person.

Thanks, but like many old folks my mobile phone is just that a phone. It has no data component and I do not use Apps.

Our broadband is probably HFC cable and the current modem is plugged into the cable socket of the original cable provided by Telstra/Optus whoever years back.. You say contact Optus and they will talk me through the installation ... OK so what number do I call for that service, normally any call to any Optus number means hanging on for ever.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Optus = Bad Communication (No arguement there) - Case in point as you say the webpage dedicated to making the process smooth doesn't work.

And in that vein the standard Optus number can involve a long time hanging on. Just make it clear to whoever picks up that you want to be transferred to NBN Activations.

You could also try just standard LIVECHAT here on this site (Shouldn't ask you for a modem type):

Try Technical Help. Note as your existing connect is completely seperate on the old Optus Cable (that is due to be dismantled in a few years) the NBN Activation won't interfere with your current setup.

Peter Gillespie

PS While you are talking to someone don't forget to ask for you Fetch TV Activation code. You'll need it later.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors