Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Optus NBN FTTC and UniFi Security Gateway USG

[ Edited ]
logiboy

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has tried to get a UniFi Security Gateway https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-security-gateway working with a FTTC setup.

I assume that the NBN modem is acting as the DSL provider and the ethernet port on that device can be plugged directly into a router WAN port. But also wondering if I have to layer on top of that connection some sort of authentication settings and/or protocols.

I'm just going to give it a try tonight and see if I can get it working. But if anyone has got this working would love to hear back.

Regards,

Paul

Solution

Re: Optus NBN FTTC and UniFi Security Gateway USG

Paddylee

FTTC NBN just provides you an ethernet port and thats it. Requires no authentication at all on your own devices.

What you do with such a port is up to you, although currently you need ot use the optus supplied router to get the phone service.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

[ Edited ]
amzoun95

Absolutely, it's what I roll out to all of my residential clients looking to completely remove their network from the bottleneck equation - which happens more often than I'd like on NBN.

USG has both Static IP and PPPoE authentication available and you shouldn't need the USG-Pro to do 100/40. USG-3P should be plenty.

Savs

Did you get the phone working with this setup?

i have tried plugging the Optus modem into lan2 on the usg. It works for a couple of minutes then stops. I can even phone in to the premises.

i have tried giving the Optus modem a static ip on my usg lan1 and ported 5031 and 5030 to the static up and it still doesn’t work.

I have used the ubiquiti usg for 2 weeks straight and a ubiquiti ac pro ap and have not had one drop out using iPad/iPhone and laptops!

i plugged the Optus supplied modem back in to use the phone and within minutes the internet stalled and I have had to reboot the modem. I would like to keep on using the ubiquiti usg and run the Optus modem on lan 2.

any ideas on what I can do to achieve this?

i have hfc nbn connection to my house.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos