cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor logiboy
New Contributor

Optus NBN FTTC and UniFi Security Gateway USG

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has tried to get a UniFi Security Gateway https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-security-gateway working with a FTTC setup.

I assume that the NBN modem is acting as the DSL provider and the ethernet port on that device can be plugged directly into a router WAN port. But also wondering if I have to layer on top of that connection some sort of authentication settings and/or protocols.

I'm just going to give it a try tonight and see if I can get it working. But if anyone has got this working would love to hear back.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus NBN FTTC and UniFi Security Gateway USG

FTTC NBN just provides you an ethernet port and thats it. Requires no authentication at all on your own devices.

What you do with such a port is up to you, although currently you need ot use the optus supplied router to get the phone service.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor Savs
New Contributor

Did you get the phone working with this setup?

i have tried plugging the Optus modem into lan2 on the usg. It works for a couple of minutes then stops. I can even phone in to the premises.

i have tried giving the Optus modem a static ip on my usg lan1 and ported 5031 and 5030 to the static up and it still doesn’t work.

I have used the ubiquiti usg for 2 weeks straight and a ubiquiti ac pro ap and have not had one drop out using iPad/iPhone and laptops!

i plugged the Optus supplied modem back in to use the phone and within minutes the internet stalled and I have had to reboot the modem. I would like to keep on using the ubiquiti usg and run the Optus modem on lan 2.

any ideas on what I can do to achieve this?

i have hfc nbn connection to my house.

0 Kudos
New Contributor vanner
New Contributor

Dear Paul,

I can confirm, after little help from OPTUS and some help from SOPHOS, that the NBN ethernet port

can in fact be connected to a WAN port of a firewall router directly.

In our case the SG210 SOPHOS UTM firewall router has configurable Ethernet Ports, which did eventually

work. For quite some time I was receiving a LINK error in the Dashboard of the router, while at the same time the

status of the connection showed "UP".

Not sure whether it was shear good luck or what, but while consulting a SOPHOS technician, the LINK error disappeared.

It may have been as simple as a minor tweak in MTU value or just the line taking time to activate the connection.

The Sophos XG range of firewall routers are far easier to establish a connection on since they have a dedicated WAN port.

I can also confirm that the netgear router used by Telstra, badged as Telstra Gateway Pro will connect directly into

FTTC via. WAN port and function beautifully, in terms of NBN connection and Dongle Mobile USB as backup.

The beauty here is that the ipsec VPN connection onboard (uses standard parameters which can be googled), allows

for site to site connection very easily, whereas the Sagecom modem and or alternative provided do not have an appropriate VPN connection.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Not sure if you have tried this and if I have understood it correctly - have read on forums, it is possible to use your own router if you first connect the carrier modem to the NBN, have it go through registration process, prove Internet works and verify SIP settings for the phone work through the modem's FXS port. They then disconnected the carrier modem from the NBN connection box and connected their preferred router to the NBN connection box and turned off its SIP ALG setting, then  linked router LAN to carrier modem WAN. Turned on carrier modem with phone still connected but had carrier modem Wi-Fi OFF. In your scenario, you are using another device, the Ubiquiti Wi-Fi as an Access Point. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors