Searching...

Re: Optus NBN - Enough is Enough

TezzaP

@petergdownload

reading though earlier posts you said the following and i wanted to comment on that. 

" Similarly RSPs are trying to juggle many factors (including not making a recurring loss because they constantly pay for more bandwidth than people usually use). This can also bite customers on occassion but as I've said I simply don't believe any RSP would rather tell people they should exit their contract than up the daily allowance. "

I can assure you that after 6 months of bad internet and all the discussions I have had with NBNco and Optus this is most definatly a CVC bandwidth issue. This was conveyed to my by my case manager when I discussed a way ahead.  He told me I was right with regard to CVC bandwidth and could only appologise and offer me a way out if i choose.   It is my opinion based on discussions I have had with the company and others in similar situations that Optus would rather get rid of customers that complain.  It is easier for OPTUS to release customers than to argue.   For every customer that does argue and manage to get past the script readers mis-information  t the call center, there are another 50 who dont even know they have an issue and thats what this company relies on.   This business model apears to pray on non technical peoples inability to understand the technology and its capabilities.   
You look at most compaints on here .. they all start off with something along the lines of since moving to "NBN" ive had nothing but troubles.  NBN is crap i want my old ADSL back etc.   NBN isnt the issue in 99 percent of failures, the centeral point of failure is CVC,  the most common point of failre is CVC bandwidth.     Go and have a look at the foums around fetch .. they all say the same thing Smiley Sad  

Fortunatly i am in a position to be able to run multiple RSPs at the same time.    I did this originally to test the NBN infrastructure and originally confirm that the optus script reader was telling me porkey pies.   This stopped the blame game straight way.    further network testing conducted by myself  via both RSP Virtual circuits showed major differences with the results.  All this info provided to Optus and NBN saw the crux of the issue revealed very quickly and they "oh we have an upgrade in your area but dont know when" stuff stop.

Make no mistake 99 percent of issues like this one are a direct result of optus and their inability to provide suitable bandwidth at their CVC's.    it will be interesting to see if anything changes jun 1 when NBNco change their wholesale pricing  for bandwidth

beetroot

Hi @TezzaP,

Some very good points you raise there, you sound very well informed. Unfortunately not many in this place bother researching about the NBN and the intricacies surrounding the way it works, is sold and is supported before giving their opinions.

I for one have never admitted to being qualified but I like to include supporting references when stating my facts, I find it interesting that there are many here who like to put forward their opinions without supporting references.

Anyway, fingers crossed that we see more about CVC in the news headlines soon - and for the better.

Beetroot

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

While I appreciate the assurances and I think its great you have the resources to help diagnosing your issue, you'll understand that one household's experience out of the currently two million households using the NBN doesn't translate into understanding what is affecting 99% of all other customers. Smiley Happy

I'm not naive enough to think Optus isn't at fault for many issues. Be it poor customer service, tight CVC allowances or company decisions to aggressively churn customers (keeping 49 out of 50 and dumping the 1 tricky one probably sounds sensible from a business point of view). 

But I'm also not naive enough to just think Optus is just out for a quick buck. Of those 49 remaining customers 45? (extrapolated number) are quite happy with their connection. The other four not so much but they stay customer anyway. As I quoted elsewhere, Optus (the entire business) is currently facing 9 TIO complaints per 100,000 connections. Perhaps the other 99,991 other customers are all hapless?

If the issue is CVC then its easily fixed by both customer and RSP. I agree that changes to the CVC model are really needed. NBN and Telstra moves to increase bandwidth transparency should also kick in soon. Its a huge disruptive process and we're currently in the middle of it. When it finishes a 1000 client RSP will be able to offer much the same connection to the internet as Optus with all its size and power. IMO right now the incumbents are scrambling hard to try generate good will and customer loyalty that they haven't really had to bother with to date.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Farkinnell

From my experience this week they only care when trying to sign you up , once you're a customer hey do not care 

beetroot

@Farkinnell,

As long as you've still got 1mbps coming down the pipe then it's a good week!!

Let's hope they don't go into hibernation next week, as winter is kicking in.

Farkinnell, is that Swedish for 'Yes'?

Beetroot

petergdownload

"Farkinnell Optus" is trademarked in Sweden (Although the ad deprtment is still working on the typography).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Bkc98

Hi @petergdownload & @beetroot

Well, After countless calls with Optus constantly being told that the problem was congestion at the exchange and was either on the Optus side and we would have to wait until there was an upgrade through to it’s on the NBN side of the network and there is nothing Optus can do and I would have to call NBN to get them to fix it. Not to mention having had 3 “Technicians” (and I use that term VERY loosely) 2 from Optus & 1 from NBN come on site and “check” the cabling it appears that with your assistance I have resolved the issue.

What was the issue I hear you ask..

The cables was loose.. Yes you read this correctly.

I tightened the connection on the cable to runs from the pole outside to the house and the cable that runs from the wall to the modem. Both were barely finger tight.. Since then not a single drop out or issue..

So much for the issue being at the exchange,.

Now the quest for compensation begins.

petergdownload

Once spent 30 minutes with company help desk support trying to diagnose hy my new PC refused to connect to the network. Almost gave up before I noticed the CAT5 cable wasn't plugged in the back Smiley Embarassed

Anyway that's great news on your end @Bkc98 and a great application of IT Diagnostics 101 (unplug it and plug it back in)

Good luck with the compensation. Not sure how it applies to poor service versus no service. I believe the compensation is based on if your telephone is working, not the internet. If you don't have a telephone then there is no compensation for your internet going down. I could be wrong on that, but might save you some time if you confirm that at the outset.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

beetroot

Hey @Bkc98,

Talk about a cluster#uck!

The tech(s) should be counselled and re-trained. As for the call centre staff they too should also be re-trained and as for Optus in general, well they should hang their faceless head in shame and issue you with an apology. I can't beleive they were willing to lose you as a customer because it didn't occur to anyone to ask you to check the cable connections... I take that back, I can beleive it! and it doesn't surprise me one bit!

Hey Optus, maybe you should replace the part in the call centre script which says "Inform the customer that it is congestion and make up a story about a future upgrade that is out of our hands" with "Inform the customer to check the cabling".

@Bkc98 Congrats on getting it sorted out, and I'm happy to have been able to lend a helping hand.

Don't be too optimistic on acheiving a positive outcome with regards to the compensation you seek, your experience thus far should be enough of an eye opener into the lack of customer service skills that this organisation has. I know it may be a matter of principle, but do you really want to create more stress for yourself. Especially as you have made it quite evident that their care factor is minimal (they did after all offer to release you from contract - try to send you on your way as opposed to taking ownership of the issue).

Only good thing they have done is create this forum so that non-optus people can help out (although, it wouldn't surprise me if there are employees in here masquerading as users to keep pumping up the propaganda)

All the best mate and congrats again!!

Beetroot
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
89 Kudos
54 Kudos
28 Kudos
20 Kudos
19 Kudos