Searching...
Highlighted

Optus NBN - Enough is Enough

Bkc98

Optus you have hit an new low

i current cannot do anything on my NBN connection 

IMG_0411.PNG

I was was promised a superior connection to the one I had which was a massive lie

i have rung numerous times and been promised that I would be contacted with an update on what was happening with my connection. Again another lie

this was all after being told I had to switch to the NBN now because the cable network was being switched off. After reading the article in the Sydney Morning Herald this was also a lie.

if I told this number of lies in dealing with the service I provide to my customers I would be fined beyond belief and my business shutdown.

when is someone from Optus going to provide any kind of customer support.

i have read a number of people say that you may be able to get out of your contract. I don't want this as it will achieve nothing what I want is to be provided the service I was promised and the service I'm paying for.

i fully expect that this post will be ignored by Optus just as my others have been.

i challenge you Optus to prove me wrong 

Re: Optus NBN - Enough is Enough

petergdownload

Cerainly not super fast speeds! in fairness to Optus this issue may (may) be beyond their control now. Since you ran that test not in peak hour it suggests their should be plenty of bandwidth from optus at that time. What usual / best speeds have you got so far? NBNCo now control the cable (and speeds you get) between you and Optus. if you are getting those sorts of speeds throughout the day then you need to lodge a request for NBNCo to check their network (I think you need to do this through Optus though)

I take it you are on FTTN? NBNCo (unfortunately) only have to meet their advertised speed once a day to any given home. But if you're always well below it then 

FWIW if the issue is with NBNCo then changing ISPs (even if you can) won't fix the issue as the new ISP will just use NBNCo cables again to connect to you.

Also its not technically a lie that the cables are being shut down, obviously they are all being decomisionned over a 1-2 year period once the NBN goes live in your area. But Optus have been taking the aggressive step of shutting their networks down much quicker (because its not worth them running the old network when most people have already migrated). The 'lie' on this occassion has only to give people the impression its all NBNCos fault and that they have to resign with Optus now.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Bkc98

Hi Peter,

I called Optus technical support after this post (6th time in 10 days) and the technician I spoke to admitted that this was due to congestion on their network and that there is currently no timeframe or date for resolution. 

Since I've had this connection the highest speed I have seen was 41mbps which was at just past midnight last Sunday and only lasted a few seconds as I ran the speed test again straight away and it was back to 5mbps. 

Maybe instead of being in such a hurry to shutdown a network that was working perfectly well, I was getting a pretty constant 25-30mbps on cable, they would be better make sure the new network would actually support the users they are migrating. 

As Optus are my ISP and are the ones the migrated me to this services then this is 100% their responsibilty. They knew the network couldn't cope yet they migrated everyone over anyway and continue to take their money. If any other business acted this way they would receive a massive fine from the ACCC and be sued. Why are Telco's in this country allowed to get away with ripping people off. 

Bottom line I don't care who's fault this is or who fixes it. All I want is the service I was promised and the service I'm paying for.

I have still had no response from any one at optus in regards to any of my posts which is no big surprise.  

petergdownload

Optus are responsible but they may not have any power to impliment the fix. (Its frustrating for all involved).

If you are paying extra for any 'speed packs' then I would suggest you drop these until (if) your speeds get solidly up to 25Mbps.

The good news is that things should improve but as they say, no exact timeframe - resources are stretched pretty thin as the rollout nation wide ramps up to adding 25,000 homes a week. 

I agree Optus have expended a lot of good will with their aggressive migration tactics and its little wonder people are mad when they find the new service isn't close to up to scratch.

Not sure how it works in this forum. My understanding is its essentially customers being roped in to act as extended customer service people. You'll get the odd official / moderator dropping into help out but it seems pretty hit and miss. Phone calls are your best option IMO. FWIW a lot of these call centres operate on key points. With something like this they're often told to tell you "its being worked on, no time frame, nothing we can do etc.". But if you say something like "I'd like to raise a specific complaint with NBNCo to have them check and confirm their speeds to my house meet the minimum requirements (25mbps)" then they might be able to impliment an actual process that might move things along.

Good Luck.

Peter Gillespie 

Khun_Tilt

the best option I think is to raise this with the media. Show them your speed test results. They love a good scandal. They will love to take this to the communications minister and get in his face. In a lot of ways posting on this forum does nothing buit let us vent - and yes, venting can be cathartic - but venting on a closed forum will not get results. We have vented over a year now about the loss of the YouTube app from Fetch. Nothing. I have vented that the removed MTV Classics from the Entertainment Pack in Fetch and have added it the new Variety pack. If I want it, that'll be $6pm thanks. For what I already had. But there are 7 other channels in the pack besides MTV Clkassics said the online dude. Yes, but six of them are already in the Entertainment Pack I have and the 7th is 13th Street which just shows re-runs of Murder She Wrote, Poirot and other stuff also repeated on 7Mate, One and other FTA channels. And I complained that to maintain what I have now - unlimited broadband, landline, Fetch with all the extras I will pay $5pm more and my speed will drop from an actual of between 29-33mbps to an "up to" 25mbps ("up to' being their get out of lawsuit clause as they never guarantee a speed). So venting gets you nowhere, I'm afraid. Take it to the world.

Scott_M

Hi @Bkc98, certainly sorry to see the results you are getting on NBN in that area. You will need to migrate to NBN at some stage as our HFC network will be getting shutdown as a certain point of saturation of NBN connections in a service area. Part of our wholesale agreements prevent us from operating competing networks. 

Based on the speeds you are getting, and as we don't have an ETR for bandwidth upgrade there yet (based on what you've been told) , I understand this leaves you in a difficult and frustrating position. You are within your rights to seek another provider at that location and we can certainly arrange a release of contract for you.

petergdownload

Good to know the contract may be cancelled, but unfortunately as the OP says this won't fix anything for them. Another ISP will almost certainly have the same congestion issues. The good news would be that at some point in the next year (hopefully much sooner) it should be upgraded to handle all its users.

Maybe get Optus (or thge TIO) to lodge a proper complaint to NBN - they have service obligations they have to legally meet.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Bkc98

Hi @Scott_M

As I have stated a number of times when I have spoken to Optus representatives I DO NOT want to be released from my contract. There are a number of reasons for this first and foremost as @petergdownload mentions this will not solve anything but also I want my service provider to actually provide the service I was promised. After my last call with Optus where the technician admitted that Optus had been fully aware of the congestion issue in my area for the past 6 months yet they migrated me across anyway.. 

This is simply unacceptable behaviour. To force someone to move across to a service that you as the service provider knew could not be provided is at best unethical business practices. This is something I have highlighted with the ACCC and TIO as well as contacting our Federal Member of Parliament.

I simply cannot believe that your answer to someone who has been a customer for 17 years and have every possible service through Optus is simply "we can certainly arrange a release of contract for you". What has happened to Customer Service?? 

Scott_M

That offer is made with your interests in mind @Bkc98. From my experience, congestion can be quite dynamic and is circuit specific. It's unlikely we had one 6 months under congestion without some management. You are welcome to stay but advised I don't have an ETR provided for an upgrade at this time for your CVC. If we could just fix it for you we would have done so already so I'm merely providing you the option. 

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I simply cannot believe that your answer to someone who has been a customer for 17 years and have every possible service through Optus is simply "we can certainly arrange a release of contract for you". What has happened to Customer Service??

Every contract has a chance of breaking down on either side. Sometimes things happen beyond the control either party. In these cases "customer service" is offering the option to leave, no strings attatched. 

Much as it might look like a simple issue by "Optus" the fact is its there are a lot of moving parts at play here. Optus didn't "know" your connection wouldn't be up to scratch (NBNCo is responsible for it) Sure Optus has decided to shut down its network early, but its allowed to do that. Can Optus fix your issue themselves? Almost certainly not.

So where to from here? For all practical purposes no one can actually fix your issue short term. It will likely be resolved but not for a while. Perhaps try out a competitor? Or focus on getting a complaint through to the NBNCo as I suspect that is where the solution to your issue lies.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
90 Kudos
54 Kudos
27 Kudos
20 Kudos
19 Kudos