Searching...
Highlighted

Optus NBN - Activation Experience

amurdoch12

Has anyone had a positive experience with converting to the NBN with Optus?

I am a 14yr customer with Optus Cable and have been extremely happy. Yesterday, NBN was commissioned, but without an Optus Modem. Therefore, my existing, "working" cable service was decommissioned. I now have no Internet.

After multiple calls to Support, I only just find out there is a shortage of Modems. Why would Optus allow a conversion to go ahead knowing there was a shortage? Why would they allow my existing service to be decommissioned? I have been promised several callbacks, but not received a single one.

I understand that things don't always go to plan, but this seems way off. The process is completely broken if this is a common scenario. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences.

Re: Optus NBN - Activation Experience

petergdownload

As Optus and NBN are totally seperate companies communication on these sorts of issues has had many reported "teething" problems.

It may still be possible to connect the old modem back up (but I suspect not if the follwouing is true).

You should have been moved over to Telstra cable by the NBN? So the technician would have hooked the cable coming to your house off the Optus line and onto the Telstra (NBN) line in the street? You still have a single cable coming to your house?

If you have two cables you can switch back, but I'm guessing not?

Optus definitely shouldn't be scheduling cutoffs if they know modems aren't available but I suspect they've probably decided its not worth holding things up just because customers end up without internet for a few days / weeks (besides they'll probably just blame it on NBN Co anyway)

Here's hoping your new modem arrives soon. Get an ETA if you can and if its more than a week request a loan mobile broadband unit in the mean time be sent out and some free data be available on it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

amurdoch12

Thanks Peter.

Going back to the Cable service in the interim is not possible, according to the 5 different people I've spoken to today. The service is cancelled. I guess you are right on the attitude of the supplier regarding a "short term" inconvenience of customers. Apparently the modem is due Fri/Mon. Let's see.

I understand there can be teething problems in large scale rollouts like this, but there have been these sorts of issues for a long time now and they should not continue.

I don't mind if things go wrong - it happens to everyone - but when there is no communication and you cannot get a straight answer out of anyone, nor get the promised "Call Back" from someone, I lose faith.

I would be close to going with an alternate provider if I thought any of them were better...

petergdownload

Seems to be the biggest single (easily avoidable) complaint on these forums: Promised to call someone back by XX and then nothing. Optus should really be drilling into customer service if they make that comitment then stick to it (even if the response is "Sorry, couldn't help")

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
90 Kudos
54 Kudos
27 Kudos
20 Kudos
19 Kudos