cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus Modem and NBN FTTC Box in separate rooms

Hey everyone,

I have run a cable between two rooms to connect my NBN FTTC box to my Optus Modem. It is wired in the same standard (T568B) as the included red WAN cable. I wish to have them in separate rooms (one already has a lot of electronics, very cluttered).

Is this considered acceptable? The technician is coming at the end of the week to install the NBN box and complete our new lead-in. Thanks.
Tags (2)
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus Modem and NBN FTTC Box in separate rooms

Is this considered acceptable? 

As long as both ends are T568B then it should be fine (from my very limited understanding of the cable standards).

The technician is coming at the end of the week to install the NBN box and complete our new lead-in. 

The NBN tech will only test the FTTC box and the phone line it connects to. They will not care about any other additional wiring in you home.

Highlighted

Hey @CM6411, thanks for reaching out mate. I'm afraid we don't offer internal cabling services, however in saying that moving around cabling is possible depending on your current set up and connection. I would recommend having a chat to an electrician if you need the NBN outlet moved or an additional outlet installed.

New Contributor
New Contributor

No worries at all, my knowledge is fairly limited (I can make a few basic cables but that’s it!). Thanks for your reply. Both ends are indeed T568B.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

No problem at all. Our socket is still a 610 style, which we’ll just have replaced with a new one. Thanks for your reply.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The NBN tech should replace the 610 connector with RJ11. They did for my FTTC connection.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just so as you aware, and not as any sort of criticism, in Australia the regulations don't allow anyone to run permanent cabling that connects to any telecommunications service, unless licenced. You can string an exposed ethernet cable between rooms but under the regs, may not install sockets in walls and run cables in-wall between them. Having said that, you wouldn't be the first or last to do it.  Maintain a distance of at least 50mm (I think that's right, but may be more) between cable and any 240V cabling. The idea is to ensure a nail or screw into a wall cannot strike both, and connect them, sending power into the comms cabling.