cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor amil89
New Contributor

Optus Modem Only Providing 1/10th of Available Bandwidth to Attached Devices

Hi all,

I’m looking for advice with regards to a rather unusual problem I’ve been having with my NBN home broadband speed. I discovered this particular issue whilst investigating a fault where my modem decides to do a full restart one or two times a day.

Modem: Sagemcom F@st 3864OP

Devices Connected: Laptop, Xbox, Mobile, Smart TV.

‘Clean’ Laptop after factory reset

Devices tested wirelessly and wired (CAT 5 Ethernet)

Testing: NBN Tech, Optus Tech, Optus Technical Support, Private Tech, and Client.

Nil issues found with MBF, Jumpers, Internal wiring, network cables or devices.

My devices only receive a bandwidth of 1.39mbps, by that I mean 1.39mbps each… not shared. If one device is connected it will download at 1.39mbps, if I connect another and start a download it will also start downloading at 1.39mbps without affecting the other device. At all times the speed remains steady, there is no fluctuation, there is no on peak or off peak. Recently as a result of the ongoing issues my plan speed limit was increased from 12down/1up to 25down/5up, this is what I have observed.

When I was on the 12/1 plan, my modem displayed its available downstream as 13980kbps (confirmed by Optus test equipment at the jumper) my devices received 1398kbps. Since my speed was increased to a 25mbps limit my modem displays 28000kbps and my devices are receiving 2800kbps...

To make that as clear as possible: 

12/1

• 13.9mbps to modem
  • 1.39mbps from modem to devices

25/5

• 28.0mbps to modem
  • 2.80mbps from modem to devices

It's clear to me; and I presume anyone with a basic understanding of bandwidth and primary school maths, that there is an issue here. Somehow I have a decimal point in the wrong place, or to be more accurate I'm losing a 0 off my kbps which is limiting the bandwidth getting to my devices. I received a new modem today, same model as the other one (Sagemcom F@st 3864OP) which I had hoped might fix the issue. Unfortunately the new modem not only suffered from the same speed issue it also reset twice in the first 10 minutes it was powered on.

I could go into how frustratingly unhelpful my current case manager is, especially his insistence on sticking to the 'My line test shows your connection is good' and 'one or two dropouts a day is acceptable' but I'd be here all day.

I'm open to any suggestions for improving or fixing this issue. I'd be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced a similar issue, particularly whether switching to a different model or non Optus brand modem improved the situation.

Thanks,

Al

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus Modem Only Providing 1/10th of Available Bandwidth to Attached Devices

You sound like you've done a great amount of troubleshooting so I feel like this is a redundant question but are there any settings within the modem regarding QoS? My understanding was there isn't with the Optus modems supplied as the firmware was quite basic so then their tech support wouldn't need to know to much either. Aside from that, this is definitely an interesting one!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Optus Modem Only Providing 1/10th of Available Bandwidth to Attached Devices

Sounds intriguing.

Unfortunately its also seems almost certain to be an issue at your end, not Optus or NBN. That said (it means you've got some chance of fixing it yourself.). 

You are receiveing the speed to the modem from the internet (i.e. add more devices the speed is available)

So I'm wondering if you have some sort of display issue (The lack of fluctuation suggests its not 'real' feedback). That is you are getting the proper speeds but your speed testing is somehow in error? Work to fix the issue at its simplest first (i.e. remove all not required equipment from your network and run a  speed test.) So have the laptop plugged into the modem and nothing else.) Try a couple of different speedtests (googles one etc.). Also try transfering a large file across the internet. Calculate the actual data transfered inthe time taken to confirm the speed tests.

You're obviously tech savy and methodical so perhaps you've already done this?

Has the NBN modem provided by NBNCo been replaced / reset? 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor amil89
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

Sorry for the delay.

Yeah no QoS or any sort of rationing that I was able to find, was one of the first things I checked for.

If there is one its not something I can see client side on the Optus firmware.

Thanks,

Al

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you had any luck reducing connections to a single client and trying to confirm the speed?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor amil89
New Contributor

Apologies for the delayed response, I've been working night shifts the last few days.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I agree, at this point I'm fairly happy that even if there is a problem with this particular type of modem that it’s on the 

client side and not with NBN or Optus. 

I have indeed conducted hours or thorough testing on top of that done by NBN/Optus and a private technician. To save time and space I didn't put in several paragraphs of background info and testing completed over the last few months; however, to summarize in response to your suggestion.

All devices have been tested individually and in as many combinations as I could think of. All tests were conducted first without a modem factory reset and then with one in-between each test, testing was conducted both wirelessly and wired. I have also done a full factory reset on my Xbox and tablet before reconnecting them to a fresh modem. I have taken my laptop next door to my neighbour who is with Telstra and connected without issue. Speed tests have been conducted throughout with actual/load tests showing the described speeds, speed tests were conducted through online (the ones that actually download a file not just test the line), through programs such as game client downloaders, and through simply downloading a picture or video from the internet. 

With regards to the veracity of the speeds being displayed I have indeed sat here in front of my laptop with a stopwatch (app) and am happy that the displayed speed is accurate give or take maybe .5mb.

As for the NBN modem, sorry should have put the connection info at the top of the post.

FTTB NBN MBF -> jumper to floor cabling (CAT 5) -> jumper to apartment (CAT 5) -> internal wiring (CAT 5) with DSL sockets -> Optus Sagemcom modem.

Wiring from MBF to Apartment DSL socket has been tested by 3 technicians at the appropriate ~1gbps with 0 packet loss. Wiring is ~150m.

At this point I'm visiting my brother in the next state this weekend. He's also with Optus but uses the FTTP NBN Modem rather than the FTTB DSL set up. If I plug in there and the problem is gone well... beyond that I may try getting a basic off the shelf modem and see if that makes a difference.

At this point I'm doing this more out of curiosity then anything, I can live with 2.8mbps it’s a pain to download anything but at least its steady and with a low ping.

Speed test I conducted yesterday during a spare 5 mins is attached.

Test.jpg

Thanks,

Al

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That is astonishing.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown and yes, you have been thorough. 

Given all those tests I think logic might move the problem back outside your house (despite what I said) Based on your moving of your equipment around, outside the house etc. I can't envisage a scenario that only hits this issue indoors.

You said FTTB? So presumably there's some nexus there and possibly equipment diving up bandwidth through the building?

IMO the 1Gbps line test by the technicians is probably misleading. As a complete guess, the line testing equipment is bypassing / not triggering this issue. As has been suggested something in the line (even back at NBN headquarters) must be enforcing the 2.8 Mbps per device rule. 

Beats me.

Do let us know if / when you resolve it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors