cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor HenryL
Occasional Contributor

Optus HFCNBN

I have been with Optus for the last six months or so. I have the 100/40 package with actual download never exceed 70. That is OK for me. I never expected 100 download speed.

In December our NBN was down for 10 days. I am in the Eastern Suburbs in Sydney.

About a week ago it went down and is still down, so 6 days without service.

We have spent hours on the phone with Optus and we got different stories from their call center. Even had a ticket number from Optus. Some reps said the number was wrong some could not find it. This is just example of going offdhire. They all have a script and they are no help.

Eventually we did receive an email from the NBN people.

They actually do exist. 

They said the problem is the HFCNBN is broken and that it could be 7-9 months to fix it or replace the technology.

In the mean time Optus and I believe Telstra have withdrawn that option.

I cannot believe that this has happened. I am going to lodge a formal complaint to the ombudsman about this.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus HFCNBN

Spectacular. So it's 4G or nothing.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As you were getting reasonable speeds then obviously the HFC network was working. The HFC pause by the NBN has been to stop new customers being added while they upgrade the netwrok further. If you are on the NBN then if it goes down then NBNCo should arrange for it to be repaired immeadiately - nothing to do with the HFC pause (Optus are meant to be the ones that arrange NBNCo to restore your service)

If you have had no internet for a time and Optus can't tell you when it can restore it (Optus are the ones who are legally obliged to give you your internet no matter what the NBN is doing) then you can ask to exit the contract without penalty. You should also get any monthly fee back for time without internet. 

I'd be interested in what this letter from the NBN actually said. Is it a general notice about the HFC pause or a specific letter about your problem?

FWIW the pause itself is mainly affecting potential new customers. Existing customers should see the remediation works almost over (to provide better speeds and handle new people then coming on)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@HenryL,

It sounds like a Network fault. Current active subscribers have not been impacted by the NBN-HFC freeze/stop-sell. Have you checked our Network status page http://yesopt.us/networkstatus? Is there an outage notification for your area?

You're welcome to send us a PM with your account details. I need your full name, DOB and account number. We'll find out what's going on.

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Here is the email. It is from Optus not NBN.

As stated on the call, NBN have advised there is a network fault on there end. THey informed Optus at 9AM this morning of this.

As a way of combating this issue i have ordered you the MSD i am sending it to your work address. NBN in December last year announced that they are having issues with the HFCNBN network as a result they have stopped selling this type of NBN, and will spend the next 7-9 months trying to resolve the issues they are facing, this information is publicly available.

I have also credited your service $70 to assist with additional data charges.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmm, the wording is a bit confusing. We've mentioned a Network fault and the stop-sell. I'm not sure of the correlation there. NBN didn't stop selling HFC-NBN due to a "fault." The intention was to improve the infrastructure before adding any more customers to the Network.

I'd really need check the account myself.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @HenryL,

So it seems there's definitely an NBN issue with your particular line (or lines in your area).

On the plus side Optus have been very proactive and sent a mobile unit to get you back up and running short term. Hopefully getting this and getting it set up is fairly straight forward. Fixing the issue would also seem to be beyond Optus direct control.

Hopefully @Dan_C can find out some better specifics. IMO its very unlikely that the NBN is taking existing customers offline for 7-9 months. This time frame is for the HFC upgrade as a whole and obviously exsitng connected customers would be first on the list to have their connection restored. 

Lets see what Dan can come up with (if you PM him).

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Occasional Contributor

Thank you Peter. I have sent a PM as you suggested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I've replied with some more info @HenryL. Hopefully I've been able to offer an explanation.

We'll continue chatting there.

Occasional Contributor

Dan has confirmed that there is an outage in my area and then are 10 others affected.

I just understand why Optus customer service people did not know if this.

Optus said they were going to send an interim package in the meantime. It never arrived and I don't want it now.

My data allowance on my iPhone is rather high now and I will be taking that up with Optus. We do have a credit to the NBN but I see my data issue a separate matter. But last  time Optus would not adjust the data as a credit was applied to NBN account. 

Big shout for Dan for solving the issue. Hope this is fixed soon.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors