Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Optus HFC to NBN phone sockets

I know similar questions have been asked before, but would like my particular situation addressed (since all the Optus NBN information is pretty vague on what to do with various current telephone configurations that must be common to a lot of households). And yes, I know there is the hands free base station option, but I am looking at alternatives.

NBN will soon be coming to my area (by NBN HFC). I am currently on Optus cable. I have 3 internal wired telephone sockets, each with a handset attached, that all run from a single point, from whence a telephone connection lead runs up to the current Optus box on the outside of the house, .

One of these internal telephone sockets is in the study where I intend having the NBN NTD box and Optus (or other RSP) supplied gateway. (It's best location & where my current Optus cable modem is).

I have seen blogs that suggest by having a "double adapter" in the study telephone socket with a phone in one socket and connecting the gateway telephone (VOIP) socket to the other socket on the double adapter, all my internal phones should work, provided that the telephone lead connection from the Optus box to the distribution point is disconnected or severed.

Is this considered possible as a "Self-Installation" exercise? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Optus HFC to NBN phone sockets

I had a similar configuration prior to the installation of the NBN via HFC though only 2 active connections for the one line.  There are a couple of issues though.  The Optus Field Tech should be able to configure this by removing the wire to the original Optus box on the house and putting a double adapter in the study - this allows the voip line in from the WiFi Router, the Sagemcom (er Sagemcrap) I assume, to attach to the existing phone line.  In my case the wire was cut but not removed from the phone connection which I think caused some interference until I removed it. One issue is that your existing phones may need to be replaced if they create too much noise, code for not really compatible with VIOP, on the new system - I had to replace all of mine.  The other issue is that the WiFi signal from the Sagemcom 3864AC is absolute rubbish and their techs even suggest it is only good for 10 metres or so.  I have turned off the WiFi on the Sagemcom and am using a Kogan 1900AC fo WiFi and only keeping the Sagemcom for the VIOP access as I have yet to find something that can do both.  I had to crawl under the house myself to remove the redundant cables left by the NBN install by Optus.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Many thanks for your valuable response Albus.  You say "the Optus Field Tech should be able to reconfigure the telephone connection".  I was hoping to avoid the extra cost of the "Standard" Optus on-site installation, by doing a self install.  (But maybe as a long term customer, Optus may provide at no charge)?  I've read your blogs and many others re issues and the poor quality of the Optus supplied Sagemcom router, and currently determining whether I really stay with Optus, or start migrating my email address away from Optus for all my web sign-ons (a pain to do), so I am ready to go with another RSP after NBN installed.  By the way, does NBN or Optus come along later and de-install the Optus boxes from the side of the house, and the Optus HFC cable to the house. My understanding is that as NBN are going to use the Telstra HFC infrastructure, they will run a new HFC cable from the pole (where there is also Telstra HFC) to my house.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

By reconfiguring I mean they should be able to put in a wired double adapter, the one they installed is Telstra branded by the way, to allow for the VIOP connection and a phone in your Study which also connects to the existing phone line.  As it is low voltage theoritically you could do it yourself but I have found it really difficult to get the hardware that the Optus Tech would have in their van to fix the connections. John R Turk and other cable / electrical suppliers don't seem to stock much of the phone related stuff at all.  As it is a low voltage connection you could do the phone stuff yourself if you are Ok with mucking around with cables apart from getting the connections you need.

Surprisingly the Optus Tech came out and installed it for us without charging, though Optus stuffed up the original booking as in did not book their tech, which meant I had to wait nearly 3 weeks for the complete fix and in that time had only one functioning phone - next to the WiFi Router in the back room.  Sorry you read my other blog responses - I am a real misery guts sometimes but they deserve every bit of bile i can spare.  ;>).  

As for the de-install your guess is as good as mine as I rang them on the 14th of August to come and remove the redundant hardware, HFC Cable to the roof and the Optus box, that has been stitting there since April, with no call to arrange the removal, and again yesterday after the Broadband melted down on Sunday and reminded them again.  Just hope they dont break any tiles this time - they broke one they installed the cable originally but neglected to mention it so I would keep an eye on the buggers!

The NBN Field Tech will run a new cable from the street as the old HCF Cable connects to the Optus Network.  The NBN installer ran our new cable to the old Foxtel? cable box, removed it and replaced it with an NBN one, at the front of the house and from there recabled to the entry point, as it happens at the back of our house where the Optus cable entered the house, and set up the connection point and the NBN Gateway device there and add a splitter as your cable TV and NBN run off the same connection.  They may just split at the junction if you are still using the cable and then run the new cable to the entry point.  Hope the info is of use.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks again Albus. Every bit of info from previous experience helps. (The reason I started investigating implications of move to NBN early, is that a relative in Mosman had only 3 business days notice that they were going to dig up all her battleaxe drive and garden, to lay HFC cable to her house).  I also sent some simple queries to NBN Co. asking who was responsible for removing old cable infrastructure to house, since it would become redundant, but email response from NBN said this was too technical a question for them to answer!  There are so many bad stories of NBN migration experiences here and on Whirlpool.

Optus moderators please note and refer to your marketing people, that with current Optus NBN plan $20 more than what I pay now and for only 25mbps instead of 30mbps (see my other post), and given fact I may have to buy more equipment, to supplement the poor WI-FI of the Sagemcom router, I may well go with another RSP, unless Optus improve their offerings before NBN installed in my area.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Aulis_AU
New Contributor

Following worked for me  in connecting the Sagemcom phone port in hardwire to another location in the house:

- parts used, Cat6 cable type Molex Powercat6 ( Cat6 cable is available from Bunnings), Krone RJ Outlets Category 6 RJ45, Telemaster 8P to 6P reducer suits RJ45 sockets from Jaycar, Krone LSA-Plus 'S' connection tool ( Jaycar has cheaper tools one is Cat 5 Punch down tool TH1740 which should work ok )

- run Cat 6 cable from Sagemcom location to first phone location and terminate both ends to RJ45, same terminal sequence both ends ( look in utube 'Connect Cat6 cable to Jack" for how it is done)

- insert 8P to 6P reducers to RJ45's ( these could be replaced if bought ready made cable eg Clipsal Modular Line Cord RJ12 (6P4C) to RJ45 (8P4C) cat No 3110L6484/2) reducers are a cheaper solution

- use the RJ12 telephone patch lead supplied to connect Sagemcom to RJ45 outlet and at the other end with similar lead your telephone to RJ45 outlet

- would recommend that telephone is tested at the Sagemcom first so that NBN connection works and then take it to the first location, by daisy chaining the connection additional locations can be added, telephone that works with this set up is Uniden XDECT 8115 Series

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Aulis_AU.  Rather than run all new CAT5 or CAT6 cabling, I'm hoping to use the old type telephone cabling that is already daisychained around my house from the one point (on the one telephone number), especially since I have one socket right where I will have the SAGEMCOM (if Optus) router. I know a relative on Telstra NBN that has two in house telephones daisychained using old type telephone cable into their Telstra gateway router.

0 Kudos