Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor SilverWing
Occasional Contributor

Optus FTTN Wifi constant dropouts

Firstly not sure can hijack threads when you find a question related to what I am currently going through so I decided to open another question to be safe,

I am on Optus NBN FTTN have not many issues to LAN connections more to do with Wifi connections. For the last few months have been switching off the Sagemcom Fast3864 Black model every day sometimes 2 or 3 times a day so I can get a decent Wifi connection on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 that usually lasts a few hours until around 4pm when the dropouts start to happen. I downloaded a Wifi Analyser App just to see exactly what others RSPs are on my Node that can pick up.

I have come to the conclusion is that after checking to see how many Wifi RSPs were on then usually between 9 and 14, My Wifi seems to connect when only about 5 to 8 are connected any more than that is when the dropouts begin to happen.

I believe in 18 months when everyone has no choice and connect to the Node I am on that going to become worse than Dial up like we had a few decades ago only way that this can be resolved is when Optus purchases more CVC somehow I can not see that happeing IMHO.  Here is an image of how many WiFi RSPs were on 30 mins ago where I got connection just could not do anything. 20180823_234857.png There are more than this just could not capture the rest

12 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Re: Optus FTTN Wifi constant dropouts

Hey @SilverWing, thanks for posting.

Can definitely appreciate that troubles with WiFi are annoying to say the least! Unfortunately, we can be limited in what troubleshooting can be completed given that there's so many factors that can impact your WiFi signal.

Have you spoken with our Faults team about this at all?
If not, I'd recommend getting in touch with us here so that we can run a few tests on our end. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The Sagemcom has bad, short ranged wifi. It's a cheap thing that Optus gives you for free. You can find other modem routers off the approved NBN list, and you can also disable the Sagemcom and use a wifi extender or some super wifi 5Ghz router.

For now, you can also change the channel of your wifi, so as not to clash with the neighbour.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Use keuwlsoft wifi analyzer app to see what channel the neighbour is using.

Occasional Contributor Raramouse
Occasional Contributor

Just going through this process myself after reading this post. Ty. Fingers crossed and good luck 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Just an update for the last few weeks day or night getting almost 300ms even with bandwidth speed around 20Mbps. Today when it rained Wifi was not even working so I am not sure the copper wire off the Node maybe getting water damage as I have researched and Fibre can handle the water. I was just thinking having 2x 4G Towers can that interfere with my Wifi on top of having between 8 and 15 RSPs on my Node that I connect with? I have attached an image that shows what kind of ms I get even when I reboot the Black Sagemcom. When I first was able to get NBN FTTN I spoke to my local Optus store and they told me tests were done to make sure problems like this would not happen. I even got a free upgrade to 50Mbps boost pack and I was promised that the speeds I would get would be high 30 to low 40 connection rate which I have not even got close to that the Sagemcom Black would only accept 25Mbps download speed at least thats what I have gotten the day I connected to FTTN. I am certain that Sagemcom would be 50Mbps only happen if my Node was with in 200 meters all I know is that is over 700 Meters just not sure how far over that is. Would be nice if Optus allowed us to know how far our Node is before getting connected to FTTN or at least NBNCo informed Optus what Node will be connected to and how far away and what speeds we would get and then deciede FTTN was going to be better than ADSL2 or not.. I just had no idea that FTTN could be worse than ADSL2 when your more than 700 Meters away from the Node. When I was on ADSL2 my exchange was 3.5Kms away and I knew would only get between 3 and 5Mbps never had any drop outs only when Optus went down in my area which was not that often. I should have done extensive researched asked more questions before jumping on the NBN Wagon it is what it is now.

Screenshot_20180906-181947.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You can't stay on ADSL, they chuck you off.

>>I was just thinking having 2x 4G Towers can that interfere with my Wifi

No, the 4G is not on 2400Mhz. Microwave ovens and neighbours can interfere.

You need to test your NBN by using ethernet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Yes I know that you will get taken off ADSL2 when 18 months up when NBN is available in your area, I was just stating that should have done more reseach before jumping on the NBN wagon esp when comes to FTTN.

Thats good to know that 4G towers will not interfere with the WiFi signal.

I have no issues with Ethernet its just only WiFi with the high ms and dropouts I am getting daily seems to get worse when its raining and with cold weather.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If it's just wifi, then you need to get something with proper wifi. The sagems have too many complaints. They are a cheap thing that Optus gives to people.

Look on the approved list of NBN routers, which may or may not include a telephone port. Or cascade another wifi router into it, from a reliable brand.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

The only problem using a more superior Router is that Optus Support have no idea what the SIP info is that is required to use with a VOIP phone becuase once 18 months is up no one will be able to use their normal PSTN phone only VOIP phones or Cordless phones that has VOIP capability. I did purchase the Dlink DVA 2800 which was the best for Wifi that I could find and has VDSL with VOIP with out the SIP could not get it to work so I sent the DVA back. With the Sagemcom I can access Admin settings which gives me the SIP info just no Username or password. I even tried to use Dlink support to see if they could assist however the steps did try were to no avail.

In regards to keuwlsoft wifi analyzer app I did download the app last night and does show how for my neighbours are from me using WiFi and which channel they are using. I found out the 5Ghz does not seem to require a channel only the standard 2.4Ghz does.

Would you know the range of the Sagem WiFi? I sit no more than 3 Meters away using my Samsung Tab A S2 and I play several Playstore Apps some of them ok when the ms is high and some not so much when are  HD.Graphics intensify.

I am not sure this should be a new topic or that is already one there or not however I do know Telstra and Vodaphone now using Sims for their new Routers only for congestion at night time. I wonder if thats a good thing or not when a lot of people using 4G if speeds would be even less.

0 Kudos