Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
skapes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus F@ST3864V2 modem

Is it possible to replace the Optus supplied router (F@ST3864V2) with a faster wireless router? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Optus F@ST3864V2 modem

It's probably not the router that is slow. Maybe a bit more information on what your service is, what you have connected and where you are having speed issues might help.

0 Kudos
skapes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, My situation is as follows:  I have a 50/20 bundle from Optus and optic fibre to the NBN box in my lounge.  The optus router is connected via an ehternet cable which is about 600 mm long.  I have an ethernet cable connection to my Omen HP laptop and a speed test shows 46,483 kbps download and 18,847 kbps upload which I am very happy with.  If I disconnect my cable and put my laptop in the same room as the router and connect via wifi my download speed test shows 19,706 kbps download and 18,947 kbps upload.  The upload on wifi is good but the download is less than half the speed compared with an ethernet connection.  I have spoken to Optus support and they walked me through changing the wifi channel settings from auto to 11, 1, 6 and 7.  The best download speed I could get was 21,687 on channel 11.  Any recommendations on improving the wifi download speed?

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I stand corrected as that particular modem has been reported in many posts as being somewhat problematic on the wireless side of things. I assume you are close to the modem when you are doing the speed tests and no other devices are connected? I can appreciate that the modem is not working up to the speeds you are getting when wired however those speeds you are reporting are a far cry from being slow. Have you tried another device wirelessly other than your laptop?

0 Kudos
skapes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  The speed test was conducted with the laptop in the same room as the modem, only a few metres away.  There was no other device connected at the time of the test.  I have tried an Ipad and a samsung smartphone connected to the wireless connection and both are very sluggish on the net.

0 Kudos
Berowra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @skapes, Go into the modem through your browser (192.168.0.1) and on the left hand side, click on My Network.  That will show all the wireless and wired devices connected to your modem/router.

If there are no other devices connected, then turn off your modem/router and using your laptop, scan the wifi environment to see how many other networks are visible.  If there are no other devices and few other wifi networks visible, the problem is most likely with your modem/router.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors