Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Zapache
Occasional Contributor

Optus Customer Relations & NBN Migration (Inaction - Lies, lies & more lies.)

This is an excert from my complaint to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsmen.

Complaint description:

The migration of my services to the NBN by Optus has been a nightmare, starting in June 2019.

After receiving the well-known Optus encouragement and threats of disconnection to pre-order, I waited until NBN Corp. advised that the NBN Service was available before contacting Optus.

2019/06/26

I attended the Chirnside Park Store and was told what I wanted was too complex for them to handle, I did ask about Customer Retention deals for existing customers.

I was told to call the Optus Migration Team.

2019/06/26

After an hour and forty minutes on the phone, three different call-centre operators and two different departments I thought it was all sorted, and that I had firm Install Dates.

Little did I know that this was just the start of 4 months of frustration.

1. My intitial services were a Telstra Home Phone (Copper), and an Optus Broadband 30 Bundle with a 2nd Home phone (HFC).

2. The discussed and agreed outcome was for:-

a. The Telstra home phone to be transferred to Optus NBN.

b. Optus to combine that ex-Telstra phone with NBN50 HFC on an Optus NBN50 Bundle with retention discounts.

c. The old Optus HFC broadband & phone bundle to be cancelled after the completion of the NBN50 Bundle activation to allow me time to transfer my home network and devices without losing service.

2019/07/10 - NBN techs connected NBN Line.

2019/07/15 - Optus tech installs & activates Home Phone, but informs that no Broadband has been ordered. It appears that the Migration Team had lodged the order to transfer the Telstra Home phone, but not been able to lodge the NBN50 bundle order, and did not advise me.

2019/07/15 - Called Optus Migration team again, and an hour later Team member Moses supposedly places Order to complete process.

2019/08/08 - called Optus MT again and discover order had again not been lodged, 2 ops, 1hr 10m, order supposedly placed and promises a Case Manager will followup.

2019/09/23 - called again, and again order still not lodged. I asked for escalation as op cannot help & directs me to visit store.(You know, the Store that told me to call Optus direct because they couldn't or wouldn't assist me!)

Also lodged an online complaint with Optus as well, just in case the matter was ignored again.

2019/09/24 - I received phone call supposedly from Customer Resolution Manager.

This sub-contract Call-Centre person then REFUSED to discuss the matter UNLESS I supplied personal information to confirm who I was. THEY CALLED ME!!!

How do I know it is not a scam or hoax call?

So no action, well not quite - I then get an email form said lady confirming that she had called me and that I had refused to PROVIDE ID, AND THAT WHEN I WAS READY TO DO SO - I COULD SEND AND EMAIL AND I WOULD BE CALLED,

2019/09/24 Complaint lodged with TIO, and they've sent it through to Optus for resolution.

Even the Australian Taxation Office says on their website not to provide info to callers, but unlike Optus the ATO provides the means to call a number to check the legitimacy of the caller and to be put through to the caller.

Optus' overseas call centres are a customer nightmare!

Even when their english is intelligible, their understanding is poor, & are sub- contractors following a fixed script.

No onshore access!!!

8 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Optus Customer Relations & NBN Migration (Inaction - Lies, lies & more lies.)

Hi Zapache,

That is certainly a valid concern particularly with the seemingly growing about of hoax calls lately.

It is standard process to request that the customer identify themselves to protect the security of the account. I had to do with it my bank recently.

An example would be if a typo was made in the contact number and they called the number and started discussing the details of your account, that would not be a good situation.

More information on the Privacy Policy can be found here.

Regarding your complaint, it appears you received an e-mail from Optus validating that the received call was from an Optus Customer Relations team member (they are based both onshore and offshore). The same situation would apply after lodging a TIO complaint, you will receive a call and need to identify yourself to discuss your account. Once completed they should be able to assist in resolving the complaint.

Keep us posted on how it goes. If needed I can try to help but it will also be an outbound call following the same procedure.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus Customer Relations & NBN Migration (Inaction - Lies, lies & more lies.)

Thanks for the reply, but it's your job to put a positive spin on negative forum posts, as well as answer questions.

You've seemed to miss the main points, or maybe deliberately tried to obfuscate the issues.

1. Your Privacy Policy is there to protect Optus from being in breach of Privacy Laws, not to protect customers.

The Customers have the benefit of being protected by Consumer & Privacy Laws.

Your Privacy Policy is an internal Operational Compliance Policy, which is flawed, and further hampered by not having onshore inbound call-centres.

2. As I pointed out - if the Australian Taxation Office can get it right, why can't Optus?

As a technology professional with 40+yrs of experience, I can assure you that scam callers, email hoaxes, spoofed phone numbers, fake text messages are widespread, often highly believable, easy to generate and potentially dangerous.

My initial technology training was with the PMG/TELECOM, now Telstra. 😉

Your comments about needing to identify oneself when called - 'a typo in the phone number' is laughable. 🤣

My bank specifically states 'that they will NEVER call and ask for personal details!

Oh that's right, they have a number I can call them on, to get to the actual person - just like the ATO!

If you did ID yourself to 'your bank' on a call to yourself, then you're missing more than a few brain cells!

I have no problem with identifying myself when I call, but will not do so on incoming calls until the caller has identified themselves to me satisfactorily - That's my Privacy Policy!

So we'll see what the TIO, and maybe the ACCC or AFP, says about that one if Optus continues to insist on ID on outbound calls?

3. While Optus provides no means of contact, except via sub-contractor offshore call-centres, we the customers are going to continue to experience poor service, frustration, inaction and lies. Where is the accountability?

Four times now I have been told that my order has been placed, and four times it has been a lie. In each occurance the order was not completed or was not placed, but more importantly - I, the customer, was not called or informed.

4. As for needing to talk to me to resolve the service migration issues, Optus has all the information required already on file, repeated on each of my calls, and now in the complaint lodged with the TIO.

Regards

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Received acknowledgement from Optus, by text message on 30/9, that they have received notification from the TIO of the complaint and will respond in 7-10 business days.

This is in line with the TIO's deadline of 11/10/2019.

2 1/2 days left, not holding my breath, but looking forward to calling the TIO next Monday!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It is a catch 22 situation. I've also long castigated Optus for setting such a poor example in cyber security. How are individuals meant to be careful when Optus insists on them handing over the exact same information that scammers want?

I do agree that the laws would require staff to pass a minimum check they are speaking to the right person. Given the contact number is one strong piece of confirmation I'd have thought checking the full name would be enough. But much better yet Telstra now sends an SMS to the registered mobile number with a code that you can read back to them to identify yourself. Simple, fast and effective.

Anyway to the problem at hand as Optus will dogmatically just keep asking you to identify yourself. At this stage I would suggest it is probably fairly safe to assume a call this week is actually from Optus and just give them the information. Its exasperating but very unlikely to be unsafe. You could also try request the caller send the information to your registered phone or email however I think they can't actually access your account to find that information with out identifying you Smiley Frustrated

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Well it's the last day of Optus's window to call regarding the complaint I lodged with TIO.

And they called, identified themselves first before asking me to answer a couple of questions regarding the Complaint to identify myself. So it started well!

Unfortunately it deteriorated very quickly, the lady had either had a bad morning already (9:15am) or just a bad attitude! Wouldn't listen, wouldn't let me talk, kept talking over me, accused me of contradicting myself, and couldn't or wouldn't comprehend the notes already in the files! Some customers might even consider it abusive.

Interestingly the previous overseas call-centre operators had no problems reading and understanding the notes in the files, even though english was not their first language!

I was accused of being uncooperative, remember I'm the one with the Service problem I'd like to have resolved.

Call ended after only ten minutes, with no resolution, when I asked to speak to a Team Leader or Supervisor - to which I received the comment "you've already escalated it to the TIO - What more do you want?".

I was then informed that she would email the TIO that I was uncooperative, AND HUNG UP ON ME!

Despite all the difficulties I've experienced with the offshore call-centres, this one call from an Aussie onshore female was by far the absolute worst customer experience I've had from Optus yet!

Looking forward to making the call to the TIO on Monday! 😉

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There does seem to be a lack of appreciation that Optus really should be going an extra mile here. What you're wanting doesn't seem that hard (an NBN connection).
At this stage though it would seem likely the TIO would just direct Optus to close the contract. You can probably ask for that yourself if you wanted to.
Good luck with the TIO.
Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I called the TIO back today to inform them that Optus had not resolved ANY of the outstanding issues.

But guess what, Optus had replied to the TIO denying that I'd asked for NBN Broadband, any bundling with churned home phone or that any customer retention discounts had been offerred!

Then the correspondence went on to obfuscate the last two calls, the one from the Customer Complaints Case Manager who refused to id herself and the one from the rude Optus TIO Complaints Handler, into one apparent call labelling me as uncooperative and refusig to id myself. ID was not even an issue on the last call, just the previous one.

The TIO will now hand it in to a TIO Case Manager for investigation, report to me and contact Optus as required. But due to the TIO's case load it may take 4-6 weeks.

Welcome to the Optus Merry-go-Round!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Sad to read your post. Stunning disrespect and indifference to a long term loyal customer and not the kind of service one would expect. Unfortunately not limited to Optus Overseas Call Centres - have read similar experience posts at Telstra. The CEO of Telstra has an email address where people can also lodge their serious complaints - I don't know if the Optus CEO has the same avenue. I think executives need to be aware of these interactions. 

Unaware of your situation regarding a Month-to-Month or 24 Month Agreement and given the circumstances, you will need to make a decision if you wish to persist with it and wait it out.  Once your patience runs out, there appears to be grounds for exiting the arrangement you asked for, with 30 day formal notice from you freeing you up to pursuing connection with another RSP. I understand Optus has 30 days to remedy the situation from when you lodge a formal notice and I sincerely hope they do.

2015 Document - so not sure if up to date. Refund and Cancellation clauses Page 2 following TIO section link. 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Billing/Optus-cancelled-nbn-service-completely-due-to-late-payment/...

0 Kudos