cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Smellie
New Contributor

Re: Optus $60 NBN Plan - Beware of the speed you are signing up for

Hey Beetroot can you please let me know who the provider is that you’ve changed to in this post please? Cheers - M.

0 Kudos
Contributor Mike2345
Contributor

Hi Smellie,

Regarding your query to Beetroot...

If you click his highlighted name, it will take you to his Profile,

where you can send him a PM. (Personal Message.) 🙂

That's probably the better way to do it, seeing as he did not want to post it here.

Anyway, good luck with your new provider, if you choose to go that way.

Let us know how it goes?

Regs, M..

ps. Apparently, he hasn't been on-line for a while.

[quote]

Last Visited: 21st Aug 2017, 2:10pm.
[/quote]

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Smellie,

If you hit '@' and the name then the person will get an email saying you've mentioned them. 

@beetroot might see him return (if he can still log in)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor HelenS
New Contributor

Clearly the "marketing guys" need to revisit this. Many months later and still advertising basic slow speeds. You really should be marketing your $80 plan more (25/5). Thanks for adding the 50Mbps speed tier (should have had it from the start!).

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Let us know if you have any other questions 🙂

Hey @HelenS, we've actually updated our Optus NBN speed pack guide here http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/nbn-speed-packs.

We're now advising of typical speeds during non-peak and peak hours of usage. If you take a look at our plan options we now advise, "15 Mbps typical peak speed between 7PM-11PM." The speed tier itself is Standard Evening Speed (NBN25). We've always had speed tier options available as a paid for bolt-on.

If you have any questions for us, please let us know 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor HelenS
New Contributor

Thanks Dan_C but I think you miss the point somewhat. The 50Mbps is very new to Optus (Optus should have had this available from the start). The 12Mbps plan is still being marketed on buses, above roads etc with the white NBN modem ($60 unlimited etc etc etc). This plan is not upgradable, the modem is crap and is very slow if people have had the 30Mbps cable broadband connection. Optus should not be marketing this plan so much. Telstra don't even give this low speed much of a mention at all in their NBN blurb, only the 25, 50 and 100Mbps plans.

Why is Optus not marketing their $80 upgradable plan with Fetch TV included and the black modem that is a bit better than the white one?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @HelenS

Agree the 50Mbps plan is overdue (its inclusion now is probably because NBNCo have offered a discounted 50Mbps pack that forces all internet providers to also provide sufficient peak capacity when they use it)

FWIW the $60 plan has been heavily promoted by almost all ISPs. The combination of "$60" and "unlimited" has proved to dificult to resist (especially when you add in "its the NBNs fault you can't download much"). Entrenched ISP (including Optus) have been very slow to adapt to the NBN rollout. Preferring instead to just go business as usual for way too cynically long. Hopefully this is now changing as smaller ISPs have begun offering much better deals and realiability (no longer hamstrung by not having access to the high speed networks that Optus and Telstra built) 

FWIW The $60 plan is upgradable. You can call anytime and move to the $80 plan I believe (although I think you do reset your contract to 12/24 months). 

Hopefully the NY sees the emphasis move towards the 25Mbps and 50 MBps plans as NBNCo, ACCC and many customers want.

Regards 

Peter Gillespie

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@petergdownload,

Your saying that most RSPs are heavily promoting "$60 plan". Have you even compared what $60 can get you in the NBN from the hundreds of different RSPs out there?

I beg to differ on the marketing comment. I also think that most other service providers can offer you more bang for your buck when it comes to spending $60 per month on the NBN. Not sure how you can claim that other providers are heavily marketing the $60 plan, as if to say that most providers are offering the same Mickey Mouse plan as Optus' $60 plan.

Aside from Telstra, Optus, TPG and IINet I have probably come across 2 or 3 other retail service providers that have spruked some NBN offerings in the mainstream media and that by no means represents a majority. If anyone else has seen this heavy marketing of a like for like $60 plan by most other providers other than then please let me know so that I may stand corrected.

People, like I said in my first post - Shop around!

Beetroot
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hey Beetroot,

Finally had a few minutes to watch the Doctor Who Christmas special, but great to see you're still up and about.Smiley Happy

You're perhaps (understandably) confusing my statement of "$60" with "12Mbps"  (which at Optus is analogous). I was more referring to the 12Mbps plan which has been heavily sold by the major Telcos. The ACCC, NBNCo and me (and you) are all in agreement that the 12Mbps plan is indeed Mickey Mouse and should only have been offered to households looking to make a few phone calls and perhaps check their email once a day. 

FWIW 85% of NBN customers have chosen plans 25Mbps or less to date (that should change dramatically IMO this year and next as consumers get more savy, realise the internet now costs $10-$20 more for 'proper' functionality and continue to increase their household data consumption)

I agree totally that the NBN represents a great oportunity to finally shop around. Before now, if you wanted 50Mbps or 100Mbps then Optus or Telstra was your only option. Now the world is everyones oyster. The usual assumption that big = performance no longer applies and I do suggest all Australians take this opportunity to look around at the new options (preferably getting a true month to month contract each time). 

That said, $60 generally buys you poor NBN performance no matter what Telco you choose. IMO what has changed is not the cheapness of getting good speeds but the ability for any NBN customer to pay a few $ more and access much better speeds by choice. A smaller ISP as you suggest that gets you congestion free 50Mbps, 500Gb and a basic phone line costs $80. IMO That would suit many households today and be hassle free.

Optus has a similar price point but is also offering many extras ($400 PVR, EPL, Data free streaming, etc.) that has to come at the expense of other specifications IMO (Congested 25Mbps?). Its a great package and popular but I hope Optus is delivering enough basic performance to keep customers happy.   

Happy New Year

Peter Gillepsie

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi all and Happy New year.  I have had OPTUS NBN for a bit over 2 years now, and I have upgraded to T4 or the 50Mbps about 2 months after I was connected.  These speed increases were always available and they cost $10 per increase, so the jump by $20 from T1 to T4 is correct, however I agree with you all. That ludicrous pack @ $60 is not going to win anyone over.  Some people just do not want telephone, Fetch or other treats with it, they just want (excuse the pun) naked Internet.  Why can't they have access to speed increases if they want. The other Telco that used to roam Australia as if it owned us, charges $20 per speed increase, have caps on their plans and significantly more outages.  I agree with Peters comment Cheaper plans from certain name providers, you get what you pay for, sometimes your luck is good and other times , not so lucky.

As Beetroot said with his new provider, he has all the details to setup his own equipment (SIP codes) as well as all other ISP information.  OPTUS use a very poor excuse of a story and overtime its changed ever so slightly about someone having these SIP's stolen and then a $10,000.00 bill being charged to them and through fraudulent activity etc, blah blah. They do not give out this information (Bollocks) if they see your bill going wild they tell you, and you are responsible for your phone.  Prior to OPTUS I was with Internode and for several years. I setup my own ADSL routers and phone with the information they gave me and never had any issues. 

OPTUS, Instead they give out a modem, in two versions, $60 plan white POS, one 2.4 freq and retarded as hell. I know, I had one, until the newer AC was released.  Then the next level you get the marginally better AC version POS, 2.4 & 5.0GHz, slightly less retarded, but neither the manufacturers nor OPTUS know anything about it. Sagemcom, will not divulge information as it has been especially bastardised for OPTUS and referred me to OPTUS for technical support.  I speak with Tech support again, who had referred me to the manufacturer originally, got escalated twice and eventually told to google search for any videos that might help. I know this goes away from Topic a bit, but my point is, cheap plan, cheap equipment, pretty cheap tech support. This has been said to them over and over for two years and what have we got from it......? I was assured that this information would be brought up and passed on to the persons involved in consumer marketing.  I have no doubt that the person who told me this would do as promised, but I do doubt that the people who actually make decisions will care less.

Customer loyalty also has no meaning to them, it does lower down but the higher it goes the less you mean to them. So, this advertising is blatantly misleading, it is obviously easy to rectify and can be done so with ease.  ALLOW the customers on this childish and archaic plan ($60) access to speed increases, if they reach $80, an option to change plan to the current package or remain on the bare package at Tier 3 speed.  Now that would be the indications of a good Telco, one who listens to and acts upon the customers words.  Oh and while their at it, have they found a useful replacement for the Sagemcom problem yet, I'm getting tired of having to switch on and off every few days and reconfigure each week.  I know I like to tinker about, but this is ridiculous.

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!