Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Optus $60 NBN Plan - Beware of the speed you are signing up for

Hey @petergdownload

Likewise happy new year to you too. I was almost blown away when i noticed the number of views this thread has generated, it must be something a lot of people can relate to.

Anyhoo, I guess the main point I was originally trying to make was that Optus has been in the internet game for years (safe to say decades?), so who on earth at Optus thought it would be a good idea to spruke the runt of the pack NBN plan and what were they smoking?

When Apple releases an iPhone, they spruke and showcase their Rolls Royce glitz and glam model, not the economy model. Yet some hippie in the marketing department at Optus thought it best to try and sell the sh%ttest NBN plan which was offering worse bandwidth than the existing non NBN plans and give that more exposure than the better plans.

When car manufacturers market their latest cars, they showcase the top of the range model in their marketing. Meanwhile at the 'Yes' cave, some ill informed or ignorant marketing manager thinks the best thing to do is to sell the Mickey Mouse plan.

Beetroot
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey @Jiefu

I think your last comment was a little too critical or disrespectful to donkeys.

As such I think the below is much more appropriate.

...When you go through life with your head buried in the sand, all people will see is an Opt@ss

Beetroot
0 Kudos
New Contributor Liamray
New Contributor

Whats the go when my current ADSL account gives me 52 - 72 Mbps, and I'm suppose to sign up to the NBN to get '40Mbps"?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Whats the go when my current ADSL account gives me 52 - 72 Mbps, and I'm suppose to sign up to the NBN to get '40Mbps"?

Your ADSL service can't possibly be producing speed results in the range of 52-72.

ADSL 1 and 2+ (Speed Potential (Download/Upload)

ADSL 2+ (ULL) 20 Mbps / 820 Kbps*

ADSL 1 8 Mbps / 384 Kbps*

The $70.00 Broadband offer comes with speed pack 3

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Dan_C is correct. ADSL (old internet) caps out at 20Mbps. It sounds like you are on Optus HFC Cable? Suggest you contact Optus on LIVECHAT here on line (24/7) to first determine this.

Then use the NBN Checker to see what technology NBN you are getting connected with? FTTN? HFC? FTTC?

Generally, the NBN offers speeds from 12Mbps to 100Mbps to most households. Let us know what the answers are to the above questions and we can give you some impartial advise on how to handle the NBN transition.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'd say it's definitely cable @petergdownload

Important to note that the speed pack 3 is your default speed pack.

For an additional $30.00 a month, you can boost up to speed pack 4 (typical speeds of 80Mbps during peak hours). 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor annoyedoldie
New Contributor

Hi Beetroot.  I am having probably the same problem and I am in regional Victoria.  Can you let me know your new telco?   I am an oldie and have complained so many times.  The nbn keeps dropping out.  I have no idea about technology so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @annoyedoldie, I can always go in and perform some troubleshooting from my end.

Happy to see if there's anything we can do to get your service in running order.

If you're interested, I'll need you to send us a private message.

Please include your full name, DOB and account or home phone number 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors