Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Ongoing internet dropouts HFC NBN

"_http._tcp.security.ubuntu.com" and "_http._tcp.launchpad.net", twice each within the same minute, when my computers check for updates.   The check is successful

First time I've come across _ in domain names. From what I can tell they are non-common DNS records that tell the DNS server to return an IP address from a pool of IP addresses related to the domain rather that a direct 1-1 mapping to the domain. Its basically seems to be a load-balancing request.

If the check is successful then I'm assume that there is probably no issue there.

Logs also include regular TR-069 iniated and closed; usually two of each after each failure, and sometimes at random times between failures.

They are Optus' remote WAN management connections.

I have a log of speedtest.net results, and both the IP address ranges usually show normal speeds; at least 46Mbps down and 18Mbps up. .

Good to know. At least I can now stop associating the 49' s with mobile only.

The tech indicated that the swapping between these IP ranges was normal for this connection, but he didn't know much about it.

I've seen a few comment about IP yoyo-ing so I figured that was normal, its just the fact that one of them was a 49 was what had me confused.

In the old router, the WAN connection type was listed as DHCP Client. Releasing and Renewing the connection did nothing to help it connect.
Oops; found a setting in the old Netgear router that allows for "Always use WAN ethernet connection", so I will try again when I can disconnect the network.

I guess they figured its designed for one or the other and there was no need for auto-detecting smarts.

0 Kudos
frankus333
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks YetAnotherAcc

Optus Network team have informed me that there is something wrong with the "provisioning" in the back end of my connection.  I don't know what that means, but itt will be interesting to see if anything they adjust makes a difference to the dropouts over the next few days.  If they improve, I won't know how much is related to provisioning and how much to the DNS changes I've made today, but I'll live with that if its fixed.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Optus Network team have informed me that there is something wrong with the "provisioning" in the back end of my connection.  I don't know what that means.

It just means activating/providing the service, which includes all the system/back end changes that they need to make to give you what you ordered.

0 Kudos
frankus333
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks YetAnotherAcc

Not sure why they didn't get it right at the time of commissioning of my NBN back in September last year, or why it that is the problem it took until April to show up.

Also not sure if they have done anything yet.  I missed a call from them last night which suggested they had done the adjustment.  If so, it hasn't improved anything, judging by the failures overnight and this morning.  I am waiting on a callback to clarify.

0 Kudos
frankus333
Contributor
Contributor

G'day folks

The game of ping-pong continues! Optus has now said they have passed data on to NBN about the outages, and NBN has now accepted that another tech visit is required, which will be the third. Scheduled for Wednesday 27th PM.  This sounds like they are still trying to pin the problem to my site, rather than fix the "back end".

Meanwhile, I have continued to explore ways to get rid of the Optus DNS and use only CloudFlare or Google. I can presumably only do this on my LAN at the device level, due to the 5366 Optus router DNS settings being locked. My son has his own router connected to the first LAN port of the Optus router, and it is possible to set his up to remove the Optus DNS server address (192.168.0.1) coming from the Optus router and use only Google and CloudFlare addresses. I am hoping this means all his devices can be free of Optus DNS?

The site "whatsmydnsserver.com" seems to confirm that when a Google DNS address (8.8.8.8, or 8.8.4.4) is set on a device network connection in my LAN, the DNS servers are Google or Google LLC. However, when CloudFlare DNS addresses (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1, 1.1.1.2) are used, whatsmydnsserver never displays a DNS server, although the connection seems to work normally, as tested with browsers and podcast receiver, and Linux updating software. Not sure what to make of this? Is CloudFlare somehow a concealed DNS service? Does setting up CloudFlare require something more than just plugging those DNS addresses into my network connection settings on the computer? These DNS changes have certainly drastically reduced the number of DNS errors in the logs, to virtually nothing.

All of my fine tuning of the DNS options doesn't seem to have solved the dropouts problem, so I am wondering if my suspicions about Optus DNS being to blame are not well founded. I know it had a significant problem back in April, as outlined in my first post (completely refusing to resolve at least one site; risky.biz According to the site owner, it was "Some sort of Optus/Vocus peering issue" (?)). But I wondered why others seem to want to avoid it as well? What sorts of problems have others experienced that are clearly due to Optus DNS issues?

I was able to get the old Optus Netgear CG3000-2 modem/router to work as a router when plugged into the NBN modem ethernet output, but not as a router when plugged into the 5366 LAN port. As it does not have a 5GHz wifi option, and setting up LAN static IP addresses is not as straightforward as with the 5366, which also allows the landline phone to be available, I will most likely perservere with the 5366 for now. As I have had three of them in the past two months, I doubt the dropouts are due to this router.

The other option would be to consider the new 4G/LTE backup router, (which is free with other providers but not Optus). I'm not sure this would help much in my situation, as the dropouts are short duration, and I'd probably have two interruptions per dropout; when it switches over to 4G/LTE, and when it switches back. This might just extend the disruption to videoconference meetings as participants are kicked off twice instead of just once. I noted a post which indicated the switchover to 4G/LTE can take 1-5 minutes, which is longer than some of the outages. If the switch back takes a similar time, this option would be worse than what we are putting up with now.

Have any other contributors had any good experiences with the new routers in short duration dropouts? I guess they are great for long duration dropouts, but maybe not so helpful in my situation?

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@frankus333 wrote:

I can presumably only do this on my LAN at the device level, due to the 5366 Optus router DNS settings being locked.

That is correct at the moment. Optus are supposedly working on fixing that, but who know when that fix may be applied.

My son has his own router connected to the first LAN port of the Optus router, and it is possible to set his up to remove the Optus DNS server address (192.168.0.1) coming from the Optus router and use only Google and CloudFlare addresses. I am hoping this means all his devices can be free of Optus DNS?

Yes. All evidence to date is that it will.

Not sure what to make of this? Is CloudFlare somehow a concealed DNS service?

Cloudflare's DNS servers are designed for speed/security/privacy so there is definitely some concealment to it. I have a domain registered with them and set various elements of my DNS entries to use a proxy instead of directly revealing my domains IP address.

Does setting up CloudFlare require something more than just plugging those DNS addresses into my network connection settings on the computer?

No.

What sorts of problems have others experienced that are clearly due to Optus DNS issues?

Not resolving domains, slow resolutions, resolving domains sometimes and not other times.

I was able to get the old Optus Netgear CG3000-2 modem/router to work as a router when plugged into the NBN modem ethernet output, but not as a router when plugged into the 5366 LAN port.

I can't think of a reason that should not work. On the CG3000, have you made sure that the gateway is set to the IP address of the 5366?

The other option would be to consider the new 4G/LTE backup router

That 4G backup version is based on the 5366 so I doubt it will make any change to your dropout issues.

(which is free with other providers but not Optus).

I think you will find that they are only free if you stay connected for a minimum of 24 months. They may not have lock in contracts, but the modems are only free if you stick with them.

frankus333
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks YetAnotherAcc

I will be pleasantly surprised if Optus is prepared to unlock the DNS settings to allow complete avoidance of their DNS servers. I wonder if there might be some Optus network services that need Optus DNS to work properly? Have folks been operating successfully with Optus DNS servers completely avoided/bypassed? The reason I ask is that since I have been progressively isolating parts of my network from their DNS servers, the droupouts seem to have increased in frequency. This may be a coincidence. I won't put things back to normal again until after the NBN tech visit tomorrow.

Regarding the old Optus Netgear CG3000-2 router; the gateway address is the same as for the new 5366TN-A router (192.168.0.1), but I did not specifically notice any setting where I could confirm that. I will have another look when the other issues have settled down.

When you say that the 4G/LTE backup router won't make any difference to the dropouts problem, do you mean it IS likely to be the router that is the cause? Not any particular router, because I have had three in the last two months, but the 5366 series in general? How do you think it is causing the dropouts?  And what can be tweaked to minimise this?

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I wonder if there might be some Optus network services that need Optus DNS to work properly?

I can't think of any that would not work because of non-Optus DNS. There are definitely service that will not work if not on the Optus network, like firmware updates for one.

Have folks been operating successfully with Optus DNS servers completely avoided/bypassed?

Yes, me. I haven't been using Optus DNS or even the Optus routers since day 1 which is 8+ months ago.

I can only really think of one minor noticeable interruption. If there where more interruptions they were unnoticed. With everyone home, anything other then a momentary blip would most likely have been noticed.

When you say that the 4G/LTE backup router won't make any difference to the dropouts problem, do you mean it IS likely to be the router that is the cause?

No I'm saying that if there was a problem with the router then upgrading to the 4G version probably would not make a difference stability wise because the 5366 and the 4G version are based on the same hardware and firmware. 

0 Kudos
Huddo3087
Contributor
Contributor

Same Same Same  Yes I am too having similar issue.

Have a FAST5366 Sagemcom.  Has been pretty good since receiving it 7 months ago.

Speeds and connectivity have been solid.

Noticed past month regular drop outs, let's say 6 per a 24 hr period.

I just blamed the NBN/ internet in general, or perhaps local works in the area.

I thought why all of a sudden?

Anyway last week I get am SMS from Optus saying they noticed I'm having stability issues that maybe due to the power supply adaptor that connects modem to power.  So they told me they identified a problem.

They advised they're sending a replacement power adapter.

Today I get that replacement, connect it and guess what, after 30 mins.....a drop out.  @.5 hrs on the chat with the tech.

Still doing int, although non for 4 hrs, touch wood.

Apparently the tech guy said they will monitor and call me SAT and have reserved a tech who may attend my house.

Anyway let's see what happens.

ref: https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=20067

0 Kudos
Huddo3087
Contributor
Contributor

Also can anyone tell me what the errors mean

I refer to the log and see every minute, is logged a DNS error.

Most say

DNS name resolution failure (srv.giraffic.com)

DNS name resolution failure (www.staging.shopback.ph)

DNS name resolution failure (app.musemuse.cn)

DNS name resolution failure (live.musical.ly)

They are constant.

What the?  are they ?

TIA

0 Kudos