Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Old Cable modem any use to anyone?

bcys1961

We just updated from Optus Cable to Optus NBN which means we were given a new modem. 

Is the new modem of use to anyone? Seems a waste to throw out a working modem . Can it be recycled ? Or could we keep it as a spare ? Will it work with the NBN ?

Thankyou . 

Solution

Re: Old Cable modem any use to anyone?

Jeneral__Pain

Optus HFC modems cannot be used on the NBN network at all.

You might find another Optus customer who wants to use it, or keep it as a spare, but ultimately as the NBN rolls out into more Optus HFC areas, the Optus HFC network is being shutdown anyway.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

bcys1961

Thankyou . 

Just something else to add the wastepile of our throw-away society then. 

petergdownload

eWaste depots should be popping up soon. But its essentially defunct.

Peter Gillespie

DarrenH

Mate just curious, thinking of upgrading (maybe) to NBN, what modem did they roll out to you ?  ta

Darren

bcys1961

Hi , 

It's a Sagecomm . Thats all I know . 

Signal strength and coverage around house is not as good as the old cable modem . All in all I got no benefit in upgrading and only did as we were told we had to . Internet speed is not a big deal for us , but I don't notice it to be any faster than before .  

DarrenH

Thanks mate.  Yeah I thought you were gonna say that.  I have a Sagemcom as well for cable.   The wifi component is rubbish.

petergdownload

Just to clarify. Then NBN often uses a two box solution for some technologies (e..g HFC Cable). The Modem  is supplied by NBN co and is the same for everyone. The Router is supplied by the RSP and is different. In most cases you can just plug in any router of your choosing (it just needs to have a WAN port). Many RSPs though require you to use their Router if you want to plug in a landline.

FWIW the Optus supplied Router does not have a very good reputation when it comes to wifi. You can always plug a third box into the Optus Router (SageCom) and us it solely for improved WIFI.

Peter Gillespie

bcys1961

I had one cable modem - a Black Netgear modem.

It was replaced with 2 items - little black box called NBN-Arris which then connects to the Sagecomm modem. 

Could I plug the cable from the Arris box int othe old Netgear Modem ( into the red connection called WAN ?

The Netgear modem seemed to give better coverage so if I could use it I would . 

Thanks in advance.  

Jeneral__Pain

Yes but your home phone WILL NOT work as it's provisioned on the Sagem.

You can buy "any" ethernet WiFi router to get better coverage, but Optus won't support/prove faults unless they occur with the Sagem.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
105 Kudos
37 Kudos
29 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos