Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Ryan1992
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No Internet after relocation service. HFC box missing

Hello,
Me and my partner recently purcahsed our first house and organised for Optus to relocate our NBN service. We moved in on the 3/4/20 and received a text saying we would be connected on the 6/4/20, no problem, right?

We left our router plugged in and have had no connection on any comms outlet. After a bit of research we found out this property has a HFC connection and requires a special box that needs to be installed by an NBN tech. Unfortunately, the box is not in the house and has likely been taken by the previous owner. I've called optus twice now, once I was told the office is closing and they cant help and I'm currently on hold/have been for 2hs.

Please help.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: No Internet after relocation service. HFC box missing

The NBN HFC connection belongs to NBN not the property owner. Its probably faster to just contact the previous owner and tell them they must return it.

If they claim they own it because they paid for installation they are incorrect. The connection box should have clear text on it that says that the box must not be removed from the property.

0 Kudos
Ryan1992
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: No Internet after relocation service. HFC box missing

You're absolutly correct! Got in touch with the old owner and unfortunately the old HFC box was disposed of.

The NBN man came around today to install a new HFC box, I had a family member hold the fort as I couldn't get the time off work.

I came home this afternoon, nice shiney black box with 4 solid lights on, tip top.

Plugged in the router following all instructions and WAN light solid green, no internet. Multiple resets and power cycles. Still no interent.

I phoned tech support and they are closed until Monday.

When NBN with Optus works, it works. When it goes wrong, which admittedly is rare, there is an abundance of disappointment regarding the quality of customer support is, an incredibly long drawn out affair, lack of communication, difficulty in communication.

We are changing providers to one of the smaller mobs and cancelling our service with Optus.
0 Kudos