cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

New nbn - phone number and email

My parents are with Optus, and last week spent several hours in store at Optus organising the transfer to NBN. They were told that they cannot keep either their old home phone number or their current Optus email address. 

This is seems crazy to me; why would this be the case?  Just to confirm, they are with Optus now, and NBN will also be Optus. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: New nbn - phone number and email

I have the same problem.

I am currently an Optus customer using cable broadband and landline. Optus advises that NBN Co determines what numbers they can allocate. NBN Co says that they do not have anything to do with numbers and it is a provider matter.

Did you get a resolution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @PFK, number allocation is definitely determined by the RSP, not NBN Co. You'll need to put in a migration order if you wish to transfer your Optus Cable username and phone number over to the NBN. Our pre-order form for Cable customers is available here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Hannah L and for confirming it is Optus controls the allocation of the number. I note that is not the advice provided by Optus representatives on two separate occasions. The explanation was that the need for me to accept a new number is due to 'technical issues' and was the decision of the NBN Co.

I have an order for a bundled NBN and phone with Optus but will probably cancel if they continue to insist that I must accept a new number. I note the form you have provided arranges for the transfer of services but makes no mention of a new number.

posts elsewhere on this forum suggest that the 'new number' is not disclosed up front. This has been my experience.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

The only possible explanation I can think of is that they were confusing a migration with a relocation request. If you were relocating a Cable service to an address already serviceable for NBN, you'd need to take up a new number but this is not the case for a migration (staying at the same address).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Do you ahve any suggestions about how I can resolve. As I said, I am a current customer using Optus broadband cable and home phone staying at the same address and changing to Optus NBN broadband with home phone. I have been allocated a new number and twice been told I must accept the new number and cannot retain my current number.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Can you please send me a PM with your order number, DOB and full name so I can take a look?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Order number is 62115882

<removed for privacy>

<removed for privacy>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

I've removed you details. Please PM them through, with this link → http://yesopt.us/pmalex so we can look into this further for you 🙂 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

An update.

NBN connected: works well and new phone allocated!

Your colleague moderator  Dan-C said he would arrange for the continuation of my current number but this did not happen and he does not reply to emails. I have had to make follow up calls to Optus and was told by one of your phone reps he would follow up and call me back; again this di not happen.

It really is an indictment of any problem resolution systems that might exist at Optus. There does not seem to be any way of escalating an issue to someone who as authority to do anything about it. Im just relieved I only signed on a for a month by month arrangement because it means I'm free to go elsewhere.

I remain baffled that an existing Optus customer with a broadband and home phone plan loses his existing home number (of 17 years) when transferring to an Optus NBN plan with home phone plan. Is it some policy or an effor. Whatever it is, no one seems to care although I'm sure each indvividual with I have communicated would have a very different reaction if I arbitrarily changed their personal mobile number. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors