Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

New modem arrived. Fetch connected via coax, no ethernet cable. Wifi light blinking

Hello. I recently moved into an apartment with only coax cables, no ethernet cables. I have a Fetch box that is connected to the coax. I took an ethernet cable and connected it from the Fetch box to the Optus modem I received this afternoon. The wifi light is blinking. I consider myself tech-savvy but I am at a loss. I think I need a ethernet cable to connect directly into the modem from the wall, but I don't see that in my apartment. How can I get this connected and get on the internet? I am struggling to use my phone and tether to my laptop for work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: New modem arrived. Fetch connected via coax, no ethernet cable. Wifi light blinking

What type of internet have you ordered? I'm guessing NBN HFC because you said you only have coax cables in the apartment. NBN HFC requires both a modem supplied NBN and a router/modem supplied by Optus.

NBN FTTN and NBN FTTB are the only NBN internet service that require just the Optus router/modem.

I'm assuming that the fetch box that is currently connected to the coax is only receiving free to air, is that correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: New modem arrived. Fetch connected via coax, no ethernet cable. Wifi light blinking

Hello--thanks for your response @YetAnotherAcc 

I figured the apartment had the necessary connections so I ordered before moving into the apartment. I selected Optus nbn™ Fibre To The Basement because that's what popped up when I input my address. My dashboard says AC WIFI MODEM (NBN FTTB/N). 

I'm guessing this modem won't work without an ethernet cable/connection coming into the apartment (and since there is no coax port on the modem). 

Or per your message, I can get a modem supplied NBN (how do I go about doing this?) and pair that with my router/modem supplied by Optus?

I tried calling the Free Activation support line but they were closed. I need access to internet ASAP as I am severely limited when it comes to my ability to work from home. Hoping I can get someone to come out and install everything within the next few days.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@kewajo21 wrote:

I figured the apartment had the necessary connections so I ordered before moving into the apartment. I selected Optus nbn™ Fibre To The Basement because that's what popped up when I input my address.

If the apartment didn't have the necessary connections then that should have triggered an automatic tech visit when you ordered the service from Optus. Where you told by Optus at any time that an NBN tech would need to visit?

@kewajo21 wrote:

I'm guessing this modem won't work without an ethernet cable/connection coming into the apartment (and since there is no coax port on the modem). 

FTTB required a phone connection in the apartment. That phone connection though could be either a standard phone cable or an ethernet cable, depending on how the apartment was wired. So if you have ethernet connections then one of them may potentially be the phone connection.

Or per your message, I can get a modem supplied NBN (how do I go about doing this?) and pair that with my router/modem supplied by Optus?

No need, the Optus modem is all that is needed in the apartment. Follow the instructions in the brochure that came with the modem for an FTTB install. Connect the DSL socket in the modem to the phone/ethernet cable in the apartment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Responding to your questions/comments:

1) Was not told a tech would need to visit. I put the address in again now seeing if I might be able to place a new order with the appropriate equipment and it said Optus nbn™ Fibre To The Basement is available.

2) The modem has the ethernet connections and a port for DSL. My apartment has a telephone jack. I attempted to plug the supplied telephone cable into the modem and jack, but the jack/port is too small (just when I though we had a solution!)

3) Reiterating the above, there is no ethernet connection in the apartment and the telephone jack/port is too small for the supplied telephone cable (yes, I tried the telephone cable and not the ethernet cable).

I'm at a loss. Hopefully I can get someone on the phone in the morning and have a tech come out to get everything sorted out.

Thanks for your help @YetAnotherAcc 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@kewajo21 wrote:

3) Reiterating the above, there is no ethernet connection in the apartment and the telephone jack/port is too small for the supplied telephone cable (yes, I tried the telephone cable and not the ethernet cable).

Its really strange that the jack in the wall is smaller than the telephone cable, I can't think of a reason for that.

Any chance you get take a photo of the port, preferably with the phone cable near it for comparison?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello @YetAnotherAcc IMG_1930.JPGIMG_1932.JPG

Here are some pics. I popped the cover off of this phone jack and there aren't any electrical connections running to it. 

I spoke with someone in Technical Support and they are sending someone out 6 April. I think I may end up cancelling the service through Optus (or downgrading to a mobile hotspot), though, as I do not have the proper connections and since I am not the homeowner (on a 6th month lease) I cannot authorize any maintenance to get the proper connections installed. 

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Here are some pics.

Now that makes sense. 

I popped the cover off of this phone jack and there aren't any electrical connections running to it. 

That's strange that there are no electrical connections running to it. This is what it should look like with wires: http://www.terios.org/Ericofon.html .

If it had wires, and it was a working FTTB connection then all you would have needed was an adaptor like this: https://www.amazon.com.au/Telephone-Adaptor-Modular-Australian-Connector/dp/B0794XCCPL .

I cannot authorize any maintenance to get the proper connections installed. 

That will definitely be a show stopper.

An FTTB connection has two parts, the phone connection in apartment (as we are discussing), and the main fibre connection part which is a router size box that is attached to a wall, typically in garage. So if that part has not been done, then the home owner would definitely want to say in where that part would should go.

So in conclusion, it really should be passed back to the home owner to not only organise the install, but also to be on-site when the tech arrives so that he can approve placement etc.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello @YetAnotherAcc 

I reached out to my property manager and they contacted Strata, who said the following:

• The NBN has been installed at the complex. It is located behind the storage rooms on units 22/20. The lock on the cupboard has been installed by NBN not the strata or the building manager.  Only NBN know the 4 digit code.
  • The access to the MDF is located in Unit 1 courtyard. You need to request permission from the property manager for their tenant to allow suitable access.

For the NBN cupboard, will the Optus tech know this code to get into it? Do you know what the MDF is? Assuming I have this information and the email from Strata saying this work is okay to proceed with, will the Optus tech be able to complete the install or do I need to follow-up with them to make sure they're aware this is what will be required?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@kewajo21 wrote:

For the NBN cupboard, will the Optus tech know this code to get into it?

I would hope so, and if they don't know immediately I'm assuming they could just call up their office/support people and get it.

Do you know what the MDF is?

Its the central point where the phone lines from all the units meet. The phone line from your apartment ends there, and its where it gets connected to the NBN line.

@kewajo21 wrote:

Assuming I have this information and the email from Strata saying this work is okay to proceed with, will the Optus tech be able to complete the install or do I need to follow-up with them to make sure they're aware this is what will be required?

It should be an NBN tech, but arganised by Optus, that is arriving. You should'nt need to tell Optus/NBN anything more before hand. As long as you have organised with property manager for them to make the MDF accessible to the tech, then that should be all.

0 Kudos