cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: New Optus-supplied NBN AC Routers

@Khun_Tilt

I appear to have misunderstood your post. Please ignore mine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Jiefu

The Optus Sagemcom modem-router has a poor reputation here and at Whirlpool. A lot of the criticism does not specify the model - 3864 or 3864AC. I have a feeling that a lot of the criticism is the result of a locally congested wireless environment and distance from exchange (ADSL) or node (FTTN).

I have been using the AC version for 11 months on FTTN. I have everything connected to it by wireless (AC, N and G). My connected devices include a Fetch Mighty STB. I won node lotto - I am 195m wite length from node. I also live in a quiet wireless area in country NSW, so there is basically no wireless congestion. I have absolutely no complaints about the 3864AC and have found it to perform well. I have VOIP (landline) using a Panasonic cordless phone: I have found the VOIP performance clearer than my old ADSL/POTS connection.

The option for everyone who doesn't need VOIP/landline is to use a modem/router with a higher specification. BTW, judging by posts about various other devices that show their GUI, it would appear that those devices use the same firmware (and, therefore, same hardware) as the 3864 - Broadcom.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I agree, it is well founded criticism on the Sagemcom. I believe it was the original N class, but the issues relate to both in the long term. Like you I landed on the Golden Lotto NBN, but that is no excuse for having to settle for sub standard equipment as a one and only means of connection.  OPTUS really do treat their customers with a form of indistinct contempt by giving us no options other than this one choice.  The excuses for not allowing us to set up our own modem routers are beyond belief especially when it comes to the VOIP settings, which are the only real restrictions.  An example of how good or bad it can get is the experience I had when I was configuring the AC unit. I contacted OPTUS for tech advice and the first point of contact was unable to help me and so referred me to the manual download.  We all know how much value there is in that Smiley Frustrated. So, I called back again and tech support advised me to contact the manufacturer, which I duly did. The manufacturer, advised me that this unit was specially prepared for OPTUS to the companies specifications and I should contact them.  So, again back into the circle of doom I go and contact tech support, explain everything again for the third time, this time I am escalated to a level 2 tech, repeat my story and he tells me, try the manual, try the manufacturer site to which I reply been there done that.  He can't help me, escalates to Level 3 tech support and I think,...Finally I'm getting somewhere.  I speak with the tech support guy, relate my entire story for the 6th or 7th time and,..........his reply,.........have you tried to see if there is a video on you tube to help you with the setup.

So, if you consider just this one factor and then multiply it by the number of people who have been messed about by this hacked up piece of hardware, without having the ability to use their own and setup their own phone, it is no wonder it is referred to as a piece of garbage.  I just defend the AC version for the average home user as the better alternative of the two.  It should be the standard, not an option.

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Does anyone know how to order and pay for one of these AC routers? Visit shop?Phone customer service?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @El-mo,

Good question 🙂 Reach out to one of our broadband live chat team members’ www.optus.com.au/livechat/pbb. You'd just need to request an upgrade to our new Sagemcom F@st 3864 with AC. Keep in mind that there's a $40.00 upgrade fee for this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Yeh Right...!!Smiley Mad I reached out Dan, they told me I had to purchase a modem router for another $100 as my plan did not include that particular version modem.  No upgrade, no return and partial exchange or anything, outright purchase a new one. So now I have two, although I will say the dual-band easily outperforms the single band in every possible way. this is from my own perspective and on my own particular network.  If this is a $40 upgrade as you say, then does that mean I am entitled to a refund..?? or credit..??  No offence to you Dan, but different folks say different things and I have had some of the best OPTUS people try to weasel their way out of the deal they promised, quoting "it was only for two weeks and you were outside this time", or "this was not part of your plan",  that is until I produced photographic and written proof of my plan and purchase dates etc. This took a little over 12 months to sort and even escalated up to as high as the senior shift supervisor, whatever that is. The minute I sent the email with photographic proof, it was "Oh, sorry I misunderstood you, you should have said this in the first place".  So you can see my scepticism of this $40..!!

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @Jiefu, I'm sorry for any misinformation you've received from other service channels but the FAQ's in relation to the modem upgrade cost state, "Existing customers that are out of contract may receive an AC WiFi modem for $0 if they choose to recontract onto an eligible in-market plan. In-eligible plans will incur a $40.00 upgrade fee."

Can you confirm that we do have you connected to the NBN network? The pricing you've stated sounds oddly similar to our two modem solution offering for Optus Cable customers. That's our NETGEAR CM500V + SAGEMCOM F@ST3864AC. Feel free to send through your details and I'll take a look. I'll confirm which rate plan we have you on but irrespective of your rate plan, I'm sure I'll be able to arrange something to offset part of the $100.00 upgrade fee charge. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Dan, what details would you like. Also, if you read through the bits I have posted on these three pages you will see where I have stated the point where I explained about being charged the $99, the person who organised it and the dates. I do believe there was even a $10 postage fee applied addionally. anyhow, let me know what else you require, Thx Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@Jiefu Please send me or Dan a PM with your full name, DOB and account number so we can investigate.