cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: New Optus-supplied NBN AC Routers

Hey @Jiefu, the modem doesn't have an external antenna. It's the same size as the N version of the Sagemcom F@st 3864 but it's black instead of white.

Yes, you'd need to take up one of our in-market plans when recontracting, there's no way around that unfortunately. If we were replacing your existing modem under warranty you'd receive an N version original Sagemcom modem as a replacement. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Hannah-L Thank you for the information and the photograph. I have also received Specifications from another moderator Jax, who has been really great and I will post them up here for others to see. It does seem odd though, the specs indicate 2xUSB 2 ports and in your picture I can see a USB 3 port on the RHS of the photo.

Anyhow, I want to upgrade my hardware, but not my plan, what do I need to do?

Thanks, Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

These are the specifiactions for the Sagemcom Fast3864 AC Unit

Platform - WAN o 1 port RJ-11 for multimode ADSL2+/VDSL2 up to 17A o VDSL2 G.Vector compatible o 1 port RJ-45 10 / 100 / 1000BT  LAN o 4 ports RJ-45 10 / 100 / 1000BT Voice o 2 FXS Ports  Two USB 2.0 ports

Wireless - Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11n access point @2.4GHz o Radio 2Rx by 2Tx  Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11ac access point @5GHz o Radio 3Rx by 3Tx  Automatic Channel Selection  WEP / WPA / WPA2  WMM  WPS

Voice - Signalling SIP  Codecs G.711 / G.729 / G.722 wideband  Fax G.711 transparent and T.38  SIP Proxy  CLIP / CLIR  Call Waiting, Call Hold, Call transfer  3-Way call, Call forward  MWI / VMWI

Routing/QoS - ATM QoS  VLAN QoS 802.1p  IP Diffserv  IGMPv3 snooping, IGMPv3 proxy IPv6  Accelerated IPv6 routing  WAN IPoEv6 / PPPoEv6  DHCPv6 IA-PD  DNS v4 / v6 server & relay  Firewall v6 ready

Media - Samba  IPP printer sharing  Device discovery  UPnP Firewall  Stateful Packet Inspection IPv4 & IPv6  Intrusion detection  Intuitive address and port forwarding/triggering  DMZ  Local / Remote access with user / admin  Profile discrimination

Management - TR-069 management  TR-098  TR-104  TR-111  HTTP intercept for intuitive user help.

Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

The other USB port is on the back of the modem. 🙂 If you'd like to go ahead with the upgrade please let Jax know via private message and she will place an order for you.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

this is not a AC its only N i have the same modem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The specs posted above state it is both AC and N.

Wireless - Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11n access point @2.4GHz o Radio 2Rx by 2Tx  Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11ac access point @5GHz o Radio 3Rx by 3Tx  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

which is the better modem. I see one is offered on one plan and the other comes with a dearer plan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Khun_Tilt

The specs are for the 3864AC modem which is a wireless AC device; it is backwards-compatible with wireless N and wireless G (by default).

@dottway

The Sagemcom 3864 has a white enclosure and is wireless N: the Sagemcom 3864AC has a black enclosure and is wireless AC. The AC version is, therfore, 'better'. My best guess is that they are otherwise similar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey Guys, I had the White N series router and I bought the Black AC router without changing my plan. Admittedly it cost me $99 to do this, but the choices are limited if you want a home phone as well.  I was going to follow a path of my own, but since getting the 3864 AC, I have found little that does not meet my requirements so far.  I am on a FTTP connection and I have tried it a full speed for a month as well. It handled that and I was hitting D/L speeds of 95 to 98Mbps. Now I am back on my normal tier and I am 47 to 51 Mbps with the wifi throughput in house to laptop at 867Mbps on the 5Ghz and anything on the 2Ghz always at 300Mbps.  The 3864 N never achieved better than 270 Mbps and the D/L speed was always giving me grief at 30 to 45 Mbps, with many drop outs occurring each week.

The 3864 also has other features which are useful when turned on, such as beamforming technology, IPV6 is there if OPTUS enable it and it has the two bands, 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  I have about 12 wireless items connected with only about three of them on the 2.4 ghz frequency and the rest on the 5ghz frequency. I also have one hard wired computer which is connected at 1Gbit via cat 6 ethernet cable. The home phone has been fully functional except for two occaisions, but then it is a Telstra Cordless 🙂 so it's probably feeling like it is on strange turf.  If you want to have the phone and not mess about, dual band capability then the AC version is a good choice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Newline  I'm not sure what the point of your comment was. Bricko made the comment the new modem was NOT AC but N. I just pointed out it was both. Whether N is there as part of backward compatability or not is irrelevant.

0 Kudos