Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor ANDYVS
Occasional Contributor

New Optus-supplied NBN AC Routers

I visited the local Yes shop today enquiring if they had any alternateives to the Optus-supplied Sagemcom F@st router for NBN-fixed.  The salesman said that they now had two new routers which were both AC.  One incurred a one-off cost of $40 and the other was $100.  I aked for data and he advised that they did not have any printed specs but that I could find it on the net.  I have looked everywhere but could not find anything.  Does anyone know anything about this? 

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Optus-supplied NBN AC Routers

I have seen one of the moderators reply in a post here about this. He has said pretty much the same thing, but not mentioned anything about any cost. The way I understood his reply to the post, was that the new ac router / modem was replacing the currently disappointing P.O.S we have been given.

Maybe the $40.00 is for those of us who have a working peice of junk "N" version and want to move into the new century by upgrading to "AC". Robot surprised Just a thought. As to the other, well, for $100 extra it would want to be better than Sagemcom is all I can say.

I do hope that someone in the mod dept can shed some light on this and as to how we can get them if the stores do not know anything?

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am going back to the same Yes shop tomorrow to try to get some details.  I will post an update tomorrow night (assuming the same guy is there).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey good luck. Stores are only franchised holders of the OPTUS name and therefore don't always have the full information to hand unfortunately. Hopefully, they will endeavor to find out this information for the benefit of any future customers that they want to entice to their franchise and of course sign up to some form of contract with OPTUS. It would be in their best interest.

The Moderator I was trying to think of was Dan_C. He had information regarding the newer release ac units, so if your out there Dan, please give us some news.

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Went back to the same guy at the Yes store in Castletown shopping centre in Townsville but he was not able to add much more detail.  He only started noticing new choices a couple of weeks ago when signing up new NBN customers.  He showed me that there are now 2 "free" options and 2 AC dual band options ($40 & $100) but thats all that he knew.  He advised that the franchise offices are often not given any details as they never see the routers - they are mailed out by Optus.  He recommended that I ring tech support to get the data that I am after but also warned that they may be Optus-badged with Optus firmware.  I will give them a call next week. I have lived with the Sagemcom brick and a TP-Link AV500 Wi-Fi Powerline Extender TL-WPA4220KIT for over a year now so I am in no hurry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Update: Just chatted with Bill on the Optus chat who gave me the following specs on the optional $40 modem/router that they now offer for NBN direct.

Bill:Technical Specifications

Bill:Wireless:Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11n access point @2.4GHz (Radio 2Rx by 2Tx)Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11ac access point @5GHz (Radio 3Rx by 3Tx)Automatic Channel SelectionWEP / WPA / WPA2WMMWPS

Bill:Platform
WAN1 port RJ-11 for multimode ADSL2+/VDSL2 up to 17AVDSL2 G.Vector compatible1 port RJ-45 10 / 100 / 1000BTLAN4 ports RJ-45 10 / 100 / 1000BTVoice2 FXS PortsTwo USB 2.0 ports

Bill:Media
SambaIPP printer sharingDevice discoveryUPnP

The above does not mean much to me but he also gave me contact details for tech support who should be able to give me make/model info so that I can check reviews. The contact details are:

NBN IVR - 1300300427 (Option 1 then Option 3 then Option 2)

Bill:24 x 7 (Open all Hours)

I will let you know what I find out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey there @ANDYVS 🙂 The make and model is Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC. Hope this helps! 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Sam, I just googled that modem and there seems to be confusion on another Yes forum about whether or not this is an AC or an N modem.  Do you know if it is AC and, if not, do you know anything about the $100 option - is it AC and what is the make/model number.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

It's definitely an AC modem, I've got it at home myself. 🙂 The cost is $40 for existing customers if you recontract for 24 months, or $119 to upgrade without recontracting. The make and model number is Sagemcom F@st 3864AC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Hannah-Linterested to know if this has external antennae or not, any info regarding the range of the WiFi signal and strength also. Any information in addition to the above would of course be gretfully received, even the colour and dimensions. Can you post photographs on here...??

Regarding existing customers, recontracting, would this mean I have to take out one of the newer plans then..? Not keen on that as my current plan is way better than wwhat they have available now. 

Seems grossly unfair as I have made it abundantly clear for several months that the modem supplied was not up to standard and calls to tech support were unable to help to the extent that I was given two final options,

1) contact manufacturer, who advised me they cannot help as it is specially made for OPTUS, and

2) do a search on google for YouTube video clips and see if there is a solution to my problem there.

This was after being escalated two times. I was amazed that this was the level of support I was going to receive and therefore chose to chase all of you, the moderators in the hope of someone seeing the issue and supporting the many of us with the issues.

Ok, thanks for the news and hope you can supply more,

Jeff

0 Kudos