Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RayJack
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

New Optus modem wifi signal strenth

Why is my new optus modem wifi signal strength less than the old one since connecting to NBN?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Optus modem wifi signal strenth

Somebody asked about the NBN modems yesterday and the only thing that came to mind is the reported poor WiFi range of the Sagemcom devices. Not sure if these are dual band but 2.4 Ghz would be the best option for range.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/NBN-Modem-options/m-p/547586

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/sagemcom-f-st-3864ac

0 Kudos
RayJack
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Yeldarb.

The optus sagecom 3864 modem is indeed 2.4ghz but couldn't see anything about dual band;  I suspect not.

I think I'll take up with optus tech.  I'm sure they'll have had plenty of complaints already.

Thanks again for your reply. 🙂

Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes it appears by that product review and the complaints on this forum that WiFi range is definitely a problem. Unless you have substantial interference I can't think of anything else that would decrease the range. Changing channels may help and for experimental purposes changing to 5Ghz (if it has it) might be worth a shot however 5Ghz may decrease the range even further. Some modems have variable power settings on the WiFi however not ever having a Sagecom modem I haven't had the opportunity to look through the settings.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony-Knowledge/How-to-change-your-Wi-Fi-channel-and-...

0 Kudos
RayJack
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again. 

I know interference is not the issue. It just seems signal strength of the new Optus modem is not as good as the old one. Problem occurred after we were connected to the nbn. 

Prior to connecting the brand new sage com Optus modem and the nbn modem, the signal from the old Optus modem was stronger. 

Thanks again for your help. 

Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Retento
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I've just connected to NBN with Optus from cable with Optus and not only is my wifi signal weaker, my download speeds have decreased from 30Mbps to 11Mbps. That is on the NBN50 Plan. Ridiculous.

RayJack
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Oh retento that’s a real bummer. I don’t have the problem with the speed it’s just the signal strength. 

I guess you will have to take it up with your service provider.  

I’m wondering if there is a simple fix for the signal strength like an amplifier. 

Good luck mate. 

Rayjack

Retento
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I was considering buying a wifi range extender but my concern was that the wifi range was not a problem on my former cable plan. It could be an issue with the new modem, I guess. I'll take a deep breathe and start the conversation with Optus. 

0 Kudos
RayJack
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

You’re welcome. 

I thought I would try one more thing before contacting Optus. When I connected my iPhone and smart tv to my new Optus modem originally it gave me two networks to connect to; one was my Optus 5G and the other one was the same without the 5G suffix. I have been having the issue when connected to the 5G one so I reconnected via the other one which I suppose is 4G (I have no idea). Believe it or not this has fixed the problem on both my iPhone and smart tv!  The range is better. I’m sure there is a technical reason for this but don’t really want to know. I’m just happy that so far it’s back to normal. 

0 Kudos