cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

yippie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

New Optus NBN (FTTC) connection with Optus cable and ADSL in the same primise

Hello,

My suburb is now NBN ready.  I have a couple of questions about changing to NBN.

Currently I have two internet setup, TPG ADSL using the Telstra phone line and Optus cable (overhead line).  

Should I cancel the  TPG ADSL connection before approaching Optus NBN sales for NBN connection?

With the Optus NBN plan, I want to keep the TPG landline phone number instead of  the Optus phone number, is it possible?

The ADSL and Optus cable sockets are located on different part of the house, my preference is to have the NBN connection located or replaced the Optus Cable socket. Is this something I can decide or it is up to the NBN people?

Appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: New Optus NBN (FTTC) connection with Optus cable and ADSL in the same primise

@yippie wrote:

Should I cancel the  TPG ADSL connection before approaching Optus NBN sales for NBN connection?

No because you could potentially lose the phone number, which you want to keep.

@yippie wrote:

With the Optus NBN plan, I want to keep the TPG landline phone number instead of  the Optus phone number, is it possible?

Yes. When you order the new NBN service there should be an option port an existing number which is where you enter the TPG number.

@yippie wrote:

The ADSL and Optus cable sockets are located on different part of the house, my preference is to have the NBN connection located or replaced the Optus Cable socket. Is this something I can decide or it is up to the NBN people?

Realistically no. NBN installs FTTC to the first active Telstra phone port in the house (they can't use Optus phone ports).

You can always ask the installer on the day, but unless you have a Telstra line that goes where you want it then there is little change of getting it moved.

0 Kudos
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: New Optus NBN (FTTC) connection with Optus cable and ADSL in the same primise

@yippie 
My advice would be to hold off for a while changing services during the current circumstances.
With reduced support if anything does not work during the NBN migration it will lead to more frustration.

Depending on whats involved climbing in the roof, under the house etc NBN may or may not agree to your requested location.

Does the Telstra line come into the House on the same side as the preferred room? 

I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - if you have verified NBN FTTC will be provisioned at your home and if it is an Optus Coax overhead cable terminating on a HFC Broadband modem, generally that cable will be not be used by Optus for an NBN service (NBN rejected its use on technical grounds after buying the coax cable network from Optus) , even if it is for an Optus NBN HFC connection - a new coax cable will be run in by NBN for HFC customers. 

If you have two separate internet accounts, for each, once you are formally advised by NBN, you have a certain amount of time to migrate both services to the NBN - it may be 18 months or sooner depending on the formal correspondence you receive from the NBN. Optus may request you do it sooner than later.

Unusual case, however if you are planning to reduce from having two Internet services to one, I think you are better off  applying to Optus to cancel the telephone number on NBN installation and advise them you wish to keep your telephone number from TPG on connection. You may have to formally advise TPG of disconnection in case of continual billing after transition of the number to Optus due to any contract obligations you have with them. 

On NBN FTTC, the telephone cabling will be used, so location is generally the first point of entry where the existing telephone socket is located - do you have any parallel telephone sockets located near to the Optus coax wall socket  that the technician could use . If not, the Optus technician may be able to run an extension on commercial terms or if generous do it free of charge depending on complexity. Suggest you speak to Optus to clarify install process to arrange a technician visit rather than a self-install. If your home is easy to access underneath, you may be able to undertake a do-it-your telephone cable install by drilling holes through your floor, walls or hide it under wall and carpet edge by purchasing a long telephone cable from a hardware or retail store - they are available in varying lengths. 

Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc  and @Tigers1719  - my apologies to both of you , I didn't see your posts when I typed mine in and hope I have not inadvertently caused confusion with my comments. It would be good to have a side preview window that shows you already posted replies before you hit the 'Post' button to avoid an otherwise incorrect impression of coming in on top of a previous comments.  I leave the OP in your hands. Cheers 

yippie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all for the swift responses.

My 'wish' is to maintain internet access while migrating to NBN if possible.

From your comments, I plan to apply Optus to take over the ADSL service.  Once I am online with NBN, I don’t need the ADSL (I can’t keep it anyway).

It sounds like that when the NBN installation is happening, I won’t have the ADSL service as it will grab the Telstra port and hopefully my Optus broadband connection should still be active. I shall then to cancel the ADSL connection.

When Optus is ready to activate the NBN connection, I hope it is a straight forward activation and can go online without issue. If not, I won’t have internet access while diagnosing the NBN issue (my assumption is the Cable connection will be deactivated during the change).  Is my concern valid?

With the location of the NBN socket, the current Telstra ADSL phone socket is behind a cupboard located on one side of the house (close to the Telstra pit); and my preferred is the current Optus broadband  coaxial port which  is located on the other side of the house (far away from Telstra pit).  

From your comments I most likely have to get some cable guy to run an Ethernet cable under the house (floor) to connect NBN port to my current Optus coaxial wall socket in order to keep the current setup. I hope the Telstra or Optus can help (I remember seeing comments they won’t do those type of work).

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@yippie wrote:

My 'wish' is to maintain internet access while migrating to NBN if possible.

You should have no problem at all with that. They will not touch the Optus cable at all. Even when people only have a Optus cable service and migrate to the FTTC (like myself) the cable service keeps running.

I plan to apply Optus to take over the ADSL service.  Once I am online with NBN, I don’t need the ADSL (I can’t keep it anyway).

The's the right plan.

I hope it is a straight forward activation and can go online without issue. If not, I won’t have internet access while diagnosing the NBN issue (my assumption is the Cable connection will be deactivated during the change).  Is my concern valid?  

You only concern there is if Optus misunderstand your instruction and preemptively disconnect your cable service. The risk is very very low, but not zero.

You biggest issue is a delay/stuffup in porting the number. Its actually almost guaranteed to be a problem because Telstra have halted all fixed line porting. Even though your land line is with TPG and not Telstra there is bound to be work needed to be done by Telstra because you physical TPG line is almost certainly a Telstra owned physical line.

With the location of the NBN socket, the current Telstra ADSL phone socket is behind a cupboard located on one side of the house (close to the Telstra pit); and my preferred is the current Optus broadband  coaxial port which  is located on the other side of the house (far away from Telstra pit).

FTTC uses phone port not coax port. And FTTC requires a power point near the phone port for the NBN connection box or an extended phone cable if the power point is not near the phone port.

Distance to the Telstra pit is irrelevant, it the existence and location of the Telstra phone line within the property that's important.

I most likely have to get some cable guy to run an Ethernet cable under the house (floor) to connect NBN port to my current Optus coaxial wall socket in order to keep the current setup.

You would not be running it from the NBN port as that is a phone port (unless that is what you actually want). You would be running it from where you place your NBN box because it is its WAN port that you want to pipe to the other room.

Note that if you get the cabling work done before the NBN is up and running then you can't re-use the Optus coax wall port because that will still be used by your still active cable internet connection

0 Kudos
yippie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank YetAnotherAcc,

Got your point about the NBN box has the WAN port which I need to connect to my Optus coax port.

Just curious, with the NBN phone port, is it the same as the existing Telstra phone port for my ADSL connection?

If it is, basically there is not much work for the NBN guy on the installation day; the copper wire from the pit is already connected to the Telstra phone port, the remaining work is simply to power up the NBN modem and connect it to the phone port.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@yippie wrote:
Got your point about the NBN box has the WAN port which I need to connect to my Optus coax port.

Just so that there's no confusion. What you want to do is pipe that WAN connection to the same location as the Optus coax port. The port that your cabler will install will be a LAN port. The question is where are you going to put that LAN port. The safest way will just be to install another wall plate containing the new LAN port in your preferred location. 

If you don't want another wall plate, you'r cabler should be able to upgrade your current Optus coax wall plate so that it has a coax port (so that you can continue to use the Optus cable while you wait for the NBN), and a LAN port (so that's ready for the NBN).

If you have the cabler do the work after the NBN is up an running, then you can just replace the existing Optus cable wall plate with just a LAN port.

@yippie wrote:
Just curious, with the NBN phone port, is it the same as the existing Telstra phone port for my ADSL connection?

Depends on how old it is. If you currently have one like this it will be replaced with one that has a plug like this , though the plate itself will be different especially if its currently on a skirting board and not the wall.

@yippie wrote:
If it is, basically there is not much work for the NBN guy on the installation day; the copper wire from the pit is already connected to the Telstra phone port, the remaining work is simply to power up the NBN modem and connect it to the phone port.

In your house they will just work on the plug. When they test the line from your port to the Telstra pit, if they find it is not suitable then they will replace that line.

There will also be Telstra pit work.

yippie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks YetAnotherAcc for your replies.

I can move forward.

Have a good day.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors