cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor deadsled
New Contributor

New NBN Sagemcom Modem wifi range is rubbish, can I use my old Netgear modem?

Was on Optus cable internet with a Netgear CG3000, now with NBN and the Sagemcom F@st 3864AC modem I can't even get wifi in the bedrooms, or downstairs directly under the location of the modem!

I've read that people have used their old Netgear modem as a wifi repeater, but i'm not sure how to do it. Any help!?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Occasional Contributor LBarnes
Occasional Contributor

Re: New NBN Sagemcom Modem wifi range is rubbish, can I use my old Netgear modem?

I have recently moved to Optus NBN from Optus Cable same as yourself. The suppied Sagemcom router is pretty useless. I myself get dropouts on average twice a day when i am at home and like you say the wireless range is poor. I have also read that you could use your Netgear cable modem and plan to test this myself this weekend when i have some time. If you use the phone line to make calls this is going to be an issue for you, i have a post labelled NBN dropouts which one of the guys on this forum replied to with more detail on this when you need to use a phone as well. This was not an issue for me as i have not used a landline in years. If the Netgear router won't work you can also replace it with something else. I have heard the ASUS RT-AC68U router is really good for about $229 as another option.

0 Kudos
New Contributor deadsled
New Contributor

Re: New NBN Sagemcom Modem wifi range is rubbish, can I use my old Netgear modem?

Thanks for your response. I followed some directions about using the Netgear as a repeater, and it kind of works, but is flaky and very annoying. For some reason the internet from the Netgear is now dropping out, even when the wifi signal is strong and uninterrupted. This never happened prior to NBN. It's mainly a problem with my smartphone. You think everything is fine as wifi is connected ,but then you realise you haven't had internet connection for ages... So you turn wifi on and off and then it's back and boom, messages/emails/etc come flooding in... Meanwhile the laptop seems to have been ok??

I don't know what is causing this problem, and now I don't know which problem is worse - the lousy range from the Sagemcom modem, or the weird internet dropouts.

Optus please help!!??

0 Kudos