Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Thatch
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: New NBN FTTN Connection using Netgear Nighthawk D7800 X4S Modem/Router

Crazy isn't it.  This post was originally created almost 3 years ago and the same problem persists.  

You'd think that @Optus would have woken up to the fact that making life more difficult for customers gives us reasons to LEAVE, not stay.

Hope you can get your Landline issue sorted.  Luckily we don't need ours, otherwise I would have switched to a different provider long ago.

0 Kudos
Thatch
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Great build Mark... well done on finding the solution and thanks for adding your detailed notes. I’m sure your notes will help others avoid some frustration when Optus Team can’t.
Thanks again. Thatch
0 Kudos
aswell10
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Guys

Just recently bought the Netgear Nighthawk D7800 modem router and came across this page after Noticing there was no Phone port on the Netgear.

Even though my NBN FTTN is with Telstra , the instructions by Mark was very helpful.

Initially I tried to connect the DSL directly to the Netgear which worked and attempted to connect LAN to WAN on the Telstra gateway to get the phone to work as ATA as we use the Home phone. After 4 hours could not get the phone to work and set the right configuration.

Then enabled ‘Access Point’ on the Netgear and connected the Netgear from RED INTERNET to LAN on the gateway and both the internet and phone work. I can see the Netgear on the devices list on the Telstra gateway and on the Genie Network Map. However on the Map there is red line between the D7800 and internet logo?

Little bit disappointed that I could not use the modem aspect on the Netgear and it was intended to use the Netgear for both modem & Router. However house phone is required.
Eddieteetree
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi and thanks for all that hard and prob very frustrating work! I know that’s how I feel when attempting this stuff.
I just disconnected fro Optus tech and to use a Netgear Nighthawk (inreplaced the useless Optus modem supplied for an ADSL conn. with this) with NBN they say it’s just a matter of an Ethernet conn from the Net. Night. to the supplied Saegem modem and it SHOULD reconfigure and connect automatically. Can’t try it until tonight myself but hope it helps someone wanting similar.
Stay Healthy
0 Kudos