Searching...

New NBN FTTN Connection using Netgear Nighthawk D7800 X4S Modem/Router

Thatch

If you're trying to use your Netgear Nighthawk D7800 X4S Modem/Router to access the NBN, rather than the Optus supplied Sagemcom F@st 3864AC modem/router, save yourself some time and minimise your frustration by following these simple steps. 

Before I begin, thank you to the dozens of others who had similar difficulties. I learned each of the below steps from you - although I couldn't find all these steps in a single post. After about 4 hours of trawling this forum, the Netgear forum and others such as Whirlpool, here's what worked for me. 

Personally I don't need to use the landline VOIP phone connection. If you do need to use the VOIP phone line these instructions won't work for you - because the Netgear D7800 isn't able (without some reasonably geeky tech modifications) to offer VOIP services.  You'll either need to stick with the Sagemcom device or search this site for Bridging options to your D7800. 

Step 1. Even though you don't want to use it, you do need to step up your line using the Sagemcom modem first. Unbox, power up, plug it in to the phone socket and connect to your computer (wired or wireless, doesn't matter). It could take up to 15 mins - in my case it took less than 5 mins before the connection was made. 

Step 2.  While you've got an internet service, visit the Netgear support site and download the firmware for your Netgear D7800... but don't get the current version v1.0.1.24 (i.e. ends in .24), instead download the older version that ends in .22. Save it to your computer to install in a moment. 

I had .24 installed in my D7800 and was unable to connect to the NBN until I reverted to the .22 version. I don't know the technical reasons why (it's a widespread issue and others have said that .24 disabled a port or something). What I do know is that .22 does allow you to connect with the NBN. 

Step 3.  Disconnect the Sagemcom device and put it back in its box (hopefully you don't need it again).  

Step 4.  Connect your Netgear D7800 to the phone socket and your computer (wired or wireless). open the Admin Console of the D7800 (via 192.168.0.1 in most cases).  Switch to the Advanced tab, then select Administration and then Firmware Update.

Browse to to find the firmware version you downloaded in Step 2 above and then select Upload.  Wait until the upload is complete. 

Once you've installed version .22 you MUST reboot your D7800 for the service to begin working. Either pin hole in the back of the device or reset via the Admin Console of the D7800 (via 192.168.0.1).

Step 5.  Did you reboot the device?  Don't skip Step 4... It won't work if you forget this step. 

Step 6.  Check the settings under Setup and Internet Settings. This is what mine say now. 

Country = Australia

ISP = Optus

Transfer Mode = VDSL(PTM)

DSL Mode = VDSL2

Check the "Enable this interface"

Leave the next few options as they are unless you know what you're doing. 

"Does your internet connection require a login?" should be set to "No". 

Internet IP Address is set to "Get dynamically from ISP".

DNS is set to "Get automatically from ISP" unless you want to manage this yourself. 

Step 7.  Put your feet up and marvel at the (hopefully fast) NBN speed you're now achieving. 

I hope this helps you navigate the otherwise challenging set up process and gives you the opportunity to use the device of your choice.  Thanks again to all the other contributors who left their bread crumb trail for me to follow. 

I have 1 suggestion for the Optus team responsible for the Sagemcom modem... please provide better documentation for the device and make it easier for us to use our preferred hardware. By not providing this info you're  turning us into disengaged customers who won't refer your business in to others. Your "control" isn't worth the bad press it causes. 

Thank you and good luck. 

Thatch

P.S.  If I missed anything important please leave a comment below. 

Re: New NBN FTTN Connection using Netgear Nighthawk D7800 X4S Modem/Router

MrLapin

Hi Thatch,

just found your your article and it is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Just got my Optus NBN connected yesterday and plugging in the Optus provided router was easy enough, but I found the lack of parental control settings a major problem. So out came the old  D7800 which is excellent in this regard. Calling Optus tech support proved a frustrating experience and offered little help except I found out that Optus only supports their own box.

your article is a god sent and I will try this tonight... one question... I note that the current firmware version is 10.0.1.34. Have you by any chance tried this version with the Optus connection?

Thatch

Hi 

Thanks for your note.  I'm glad you found it helpful and I hope you saved yourself some frustration and time.  Shame Optus Tech's don't write this kind of material and help us all out.

To answer your question, after getting started on firmware 10.0.1.22 I waited until firmware 10.0.1.28 was released before I upgraded.  It continued to work without issue.  I'm now using the current firmware 10.0.1.34 and continue to work trouble free.  Whatever was wrong with .24 seems to now be resolved.  

Enjoy your NBN experience.  Hopefully it's noticably faster than your previous connection.  

Thatch 

Musti1611

Hi thanks for your fantastic write up. I am a new FTTN customer having significant trouble with my new optus connection. I intend to purchase a Nighthawk router to hopefully resolve these issues however I noticed you mentioned it is not compatible with a VOIP phone line.

I do not use VOIP however I do intend to maintain my standard house phone. Is this the same thing as the VOIP line? Will my normal house phone work with the Nighthawk router you used or will I need to keep using my rubbish Sagemcom optus provided modem?

Thanks for your assistance. 

Thatch

Hi there. 

It it sounds like you plan to have the same set up we have. We have no VOIP, but we do still have our normal home landline (although we never use it). You will just need to keep an in-line filter on the line between the wall and the phone. 

Glad the post was helpful for you. Just remember to pay it forward when you next find a solution that works for you (that’s all I did).  

Cheers. Thatch 

melodyfoo

Thank you so much man, I've been trying to get my netgear modem to work with FTTN for ages. I honestly hate the performance of the optus provided modem. You are a god!

Thatch

Glad you found it useful... thanks for letting me know it helped. :-) 

wrandtj4

Just confirming...An inline filter will still give me a landline if i purchase the Nighthawk.....So thats wall plug to inline filter..whichs splits to landline and Nighthawk.

Need to say goodbye to this Sagemcom...so looking forward to Nighthawk

Highlighted

Thatch

I’m not sure if that works or not.  On my set up I don’t have a phone line in the house... we just rely on mobiles.

Come back and let us know once you’ve tried it.

douglas69

thanks, I have managed to get the modem router up and working. But I am struggling with the phone line. The Optus modem has a port dedicated for the phone which comes through the NB box. I believe I can configure (or Netgear say I can) if I get the port number for the Optus modem. Has anyone got any idea on what that might be. Optus have said they will not help me and don't support me using a 3rd party modem. Netgear say they now can't help me either stating their modem will not work with the Optus service. So much for the Nighthawk being NBN ready. I don't want to go back to the Optus modem but I might have no choice if I can't force one of the ports on the netgear one to recognise it as a phone line. Can anybody help me please? thanks Doug

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos