Searching...

New FTTC intermittent dropouts

owen2229

So my FTTC connection was installed yesterday. The speeds are good, close to 50/20, but I've been losing the wan connection (WAN IPv4 Address becomes blank in Sagemcom device info) at least once every 10-15 minutes. The downtime lasts about 30-40 seconds, internet would work again without me doing anything.

I swapped the Sagemcom with Asus RT-68U. Same pattern. I'm going to contact Optus support, but I thought maybe I'll try the Yes Crowd first.

Re: New FTTC intermittent dropouts

petergdownload

Optus will have a record of every dropout. It sounds like the FTTC connection might need ot be checked. 

The NBNCo will have to come out and do this. Optus will arrange that on your behalf. Definitely give them a bell.

Peter Gillespie

owen2229

Thanks Peter. I tried to call Optus but it was 45 minute wait, but luckily I managed to explain my issue via online chat before dropout lol. NBN tech visit has been booked.

petergdownload

Chat seems much quick at Optus.

Let us know how it goes.

Peter Gillespie

owen2229

Sadly it did not go well at all.

NBN tech is booked for Friday 1-5pm.  NBN tech called me at 4.30pm saying he will come at 5.30pm, but showed up at 7.30pm. Of course by the time he was not in a condition to really investigate the issue, so he just blamed it on Optus Sagemcom although I already told him my own Asus and TP-Link routers get dropouts just the same.

And Optus disconnected my Optus cable service although I already told them not to until my NBN issue is fixed.

It doesn't matter what information I provide, everyone is just going through the same meaningless motion. I can see this will be a long tedious process.

petergdownload

I tend to recommend people on cable going to the NBN should pick another RSP to do it. That way the NBN can get 100% up and running while the Optus cable keeps ticking over. 

That said, Optus defintely shouldn't have shut off your cable (and are legally obliged to to turn it back on). The ACMA told them that a little while back.

So at this point you'll need to get Optus to arrange another NBN visit (7:30pm? Wow  Smiley Surprised).

Peter Gillespie

owen2229

Well on Monday Optus livechat said he booked another NBN visit for today (Wednesday). I requested morning slot because you know, 7.30pm is just not the time to be productive. 

No show today.

Asked Optus livechat, was told NBN tech was not booked because the think NBN network is fine and the problem is the Optus Sagemcom.

I find that hard to believe because my Asus and TPLink routers get dropouts just the same, but I'm willing to try new Sagemcom if that's the only way to get things moving.

But why didn't Optus tell me NBN tech was not coming?!!

petergdownload

Pretty unbelievable. To make a booking (or say you did) and then at some point someone just quietly cancelled it? And just left you standing around waiting Smiley Frustrated Here's hoping the replacement modem does the trick.

Peter Gillespie

owen2229

So after new Sagemcom and 2 more NBN tech visits, the latest opinion from NBN tech is my dpu is 225 metres away, which is too far, so there is nothing he could do.

I walked to the closest dpu pit, it's less than 100 metres. So maybe the closest dpu has no spare ports?

I talked to Malcom on LiveChat today, to ask him about the dpu situation. He doesn't know anything about it, and said my NCD needed replacing. I told him my NCD was already replaced. Then Malcom said OK, my issue was resolved, because I only had one dropout today. Yes like I would waste time on livechat if I only had 1 dropout a day. Malcolm is the type of Optus rep that BS all the way, clueless deceptive and unhelpful. This is the 2nd time I got him. Next time I will just exit and try a different rep.

I talked to Brea, she said she will raise the dpu issue to NBN and I should hear something within 24 hours. I'm not betting on it but I sure hope so.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos