cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Wheresmystuff
Occasional Contributor

New 50mb/s NBN - max attainable says 25. Wheres my speed boost?

I have just had a new NBN service activated this morning. I signed up for entertainment plus with speed pack 2 - 50mb/s.

The 1st thing I did was a speed test. 16mb/s line speed. 3 mb/s DL speed. This is worse than the ADSL I just swapped over.

I thought maybe the speedpack hasnt been added so I enquired today. I was assured it had been activated.

When I got home I ran the test again. Same. if not worse. I ran the est on my mobile 4G - it performed better than NBN.

I check the stats on my modem -

Attainable rate 25336/5809

Rate - 24047/5809

Does this mean that even though I am paying for 50mb/s I can only get 25 or is it that the 50mb/s speed boost pack hasn't been activated?

Also can someone explain why the fetch box isn't sent out with the modem? I was told that it woul dbe delivered in 7 business days from today. Am I being charged for the fetch portion of the plan even though I cannot use it?

The whole system is not very clear.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: New 50mb/s NBN - max attainable says 25. Wheres my speed boost?

@WheresmystuffHi,

The speed pack 2 that comes with your package is for 25Mbps download and 5Mbps up, so you are getting the correct speed.

This is what I got when I signed up in November.

You can upgrade your speed pack to 3 (50Mbps download and Ithink 20Mbps up) for an extra $10 a month.

I upgraded about a week ago and I am getting around 47 or 48 Mbps down and 19 Mbps up, it's good enough for me.

As for the Fetch box, I have no idea why they don't send it with the modem ?

I had ADSL2+ plan previously (getting around 1.5 Mbps download speed 😞   ) so I allready had the Gen2 Fetch box  in my house, I was suppose to get the new Mighty box with my new NBN plan, they did not send it, but if I order it now, it will be free but they will disconnect my Gen2 as soon as I call them and I will have to wait 10 days with no Fetch to get the new box and all my recordings will be deleted, so I am sticking with the Gen2 for the moment.

Same thing, I don't understand why Optus doesn't send the new box and then disconnect the old one once you have received and entered the code on the new one ?

Breathe deeply and keep calm 🙂

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Wheresmystuff
Occasional Contributor

Hi

My Mistake - I ordered the speed boost plus - 50/20 but the modem stats say max attainable is 25m/b. I just want confirmation from someone that the 25mb/s max attainable is the maximum I can achieve with or without any speed boost packs added.

On the Myaccount page it does not state what I have actually included in my plan. I know it was ordered but I dont know if it has been applied to my service?

If that max attainable rate is with the 50/20 boost applied and I then remove it will the max attainable be reduced?

I dont see the point in paying $10 extra for something that they cant provide.

If someone from Optus can confirm that this speed pack has been applied to my service I would really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Heya! Our tech team can double check which speed pack you are on if you can give them a buzz on 131344 or alternatively send me through a PM with your full name, DOB and the Internet username or account number and I'll check it out. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Jason_Mann
Occasional Contributor

how long did it take them to activate yours     i have been waiting 7 weeks and its still not on

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hey @Jason_Mann, that's a long time for a connection. Have you been in contact with our activations team on 1300300427 and discussed this with them? The team is open Mon - Fri 08:00 - 19:00.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Wheresmystuff

My NBN took about 2 weeks to get connected.

My speed pack update to 50/20 , less than 24 hours once I called them.

It was suppose to be done by the chat customer service agent, but of course they did not do it properly and nothing happenned, but when I called the next day and spoke to the proper team, it was done in a few hours.

It is probably best that you call them directly, as sugested in the previous reply, if you want more answers.

0 Kudos
Contributor Manto
Contributor

We signed up for the 50/20 on our fixed wireless connection. Just tested it and got 6/6. Best we ever got was 30/15 and that was months ago in the middle of a weekday. In the evenings it slows to adsl speeds

Optus sent another router which did absolutely nothing. 

So we are getting ripped off. Netflix takes ages to load and buffers a lot

Could ring the support number but what can they do about congestion 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @Manto, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Fixed Wireless service. If it is congestion impacting your service, our Tech Support team can check to see when the next bandwidth upgrade is scheduled and add your name and contact number to a register for updates.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Lakelands
New Contributor

Re: New 50mb/s NBN -

I asked Optus to upgrade my speed to the speed pack 3 - 50mbps.  Custom service officer told me that the service will be upgraded within 15min-4hours.  I tried the next day morning after restarting the modem.  Max download speed is about 17 and as the same speed before the upgrade.  Is there anything I need to do to get the new speed.

Thank you

Desilva

0 Kudos