Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
debrook
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Need Help with Suspected Scam Email that Looks Genuine

OK. As many of us know, it's seriously hard to reacha  real peron to talk to at Optus which is whay I am asking here..   I received an eamil this morning that looks totally genuine. It is about an overdue bill . The email address look genuine but as far as I can tell I have no due bills. I am on direct debit but for some unknown reason Optus has cancelled that a few times.  Can anyone here give me a phone number for a real erson to talk to  who can look up my account & advise me about thsi email. I can not risk having my phone & internet  cut off for no reason again.  Spent 3 days on teh phone & Facebook page askign a simple request that  never got done so  have no idea what the best way is to reach someone at Optus who can actually help these days.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Need Help with Suspected Scam Email that Looks Genuine

Is there any links on the bill to take you to Optus or a payment gate? If so that's likely a scam.

You should be able to see your current bill and account balance either usung the Optus mobile phone app or by logging into MyAccount here online (hit the person symbol top right of the screen)

ALso there's LIVECHAT here online (24/7) and someone should be able to check your account.

If you want to settle the hassle short term, then just go to the optus website and select pay bill and pay the amount asked. If its a mistake then it will just go into your account as credit and be used to pay next months bill (direct debit only takes what ever is needed for your bill after it uses credit in the account)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

debrook
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes there is. The email looks genuine which is my concern. Also the biller code is Optus's. It also doesnt have an account number though?? Looked at My Account online & all looks fine. Just wantign to double check with someone just in case

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If you hover over the link you should see the address. As you probably know never pay a bill via a provided link.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

debrook
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Knew not to pay but didn  trelise you could see the link. Def a scam Thanks so much 🙂

0 Kudos