cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Pat72
Occasional Contributor

Nbn startup fee

Hi everyone 

having a frustrating experience with Optus been a cable customer for many years with no issue. 

For nbn migration was told I needed to contract for 2 years. Was reluctant to do this as have heard some stories about reliability of Optus nbn so don’t want to be locked in. 

The sales person agreed on month to month $75 month so I thought fine. Was a bit suspicious when I couldn’t download the critical information summary she sent me so decided to investigate further. Sure enough after multiple transfers I eventually found that there was a $200 start up fee they had “forgotten” to mention. 

I don’t see why I should need to either pay this or recontracf for 2 years. It looks like not all providers charge this. Am I being unreasonable? 

Nbn are due to come out on Friday. I am contemplating canceling the installation but it looks like even this will be difficult with each department passing the buck and long hold tines. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nbn startup fee

Hi @Pat72 its disapointing to hear Optus sales staff are still misleading customers during the the NBN transition. They've already been fined millions  for this. As an Optus cable customer what may have not been made clear is that Optus are breaking your contract. They are shutting down their network and as such you have no obligation to remain (and no penalty if you don't) 

That said you are now in the market for a new contract. Be that with Optus or any other ISP (a primary benefit of the NBN is that you can chose any ISP to provide a same high speed broadband that previously only Optus or one other Telco could provide). If pressed (as a long term customer) Optus staff should just move existing month to month customers (M2M) across to a new NBN M2M contract. Technically there is a $200 fee but that should only apply to new M2M customers not those that have done the 'hard yards'

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Following up on the $200 M2M fee. When you move to the NBN with Optus everyone is essentially ending their existing contract and moving onto an NBN contract. As mentioned Optus were not adverse to letting the customer believe (or in the past telling the customer) that they have no choice, this is the NBNs fault and the decision must be made now. All cable customers have the option to choose any RSP at this stage without penalty. 

That said, Optus is a good product and has been steadily improving in its technical offering (speeds!) over the past year. Its content offering has been too much the focus IMO but FWIW the Fetch / Content package is a good one. If you decide to go with Optus then the new contract is then a negotiation between you and Optus. 

First up is to realise there is a month to month option and decide if you want it. Optus staff will generally try spruik the 24 month contract (which has the benefit that there is no $200 fee). The Optus M2M plan with $200 fee is a standard Optus offering. Where it gets variable is how Optus apply the fee to long standing customers (those already M2M). IMO they should definitely just transition customers to a similar NBN contract M2M at no cost (they've long since recouped any startup costs earlier after all.) However it seems some staff do try get the extra $200 if they can. Whether you get the $200 fee seems to depend on who you talk to and what you request (and a little bit of luck).

I'll flag a mod @Dan_C and perhaps he can look into whether this fee is appropriate for you.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Moderator Shauna

Hey @Pat72 - thanks for getting in touch with us. Can you please send through a private message confirming your account number, full name and DOB? I'll take a look into this. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor Pat72
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter. Latest is they have flagged this as an “nbn fee” and that they can’t do anything about it. 

They told me to sign up first and they would then consider a vague “compensation” offer, but no guarantee. 

I have asked them to cancel the Friday NBN installation while I decide what to do. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Shauna

@Pat72 Probably a good move to take the pressure off. There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule for how transitioning a long time customer from Optus Cable to NBN Cable is handled. This seems to create varying responses and outcomes from the customer service / sales department depending on who you talk to - which is not ideal. 

Frankly I find it astounding that at the very moment all their customers suddenly get the choice of ISP, Optus chose not to treat existing customers with all due deference but instead tell them its NBNs fault, infer they must re-sign up for 24 months and finally hit them with a $200 fee just for staying.

FWIW this is not an "NBN Fee". There is an NBN Fee but it only applies to homes joining the NBN after the 18 month transition period has expired (and then I think its like $300 or so). This is a simple "start up fee" which as a long term customer really shouldn't apply.

sshot-21.jpg  min.png

Hopefully Shuana can set things straight and maybe even entice you back into the install the week (although if it has been cancelled then you may have a bit to wait again as NBNCo has its own schedule).

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor JCJCJCJC
New Contributor

@Shauna I'm in a similar position - existing Cable Broadband customer - Optus breaking my contract with an impending disconnection date. Been happy with my cable service speeds etc and was about to sign over to a new NBN100 plan at $115/month when I saw the $200 start up fee which I'm pretty unhappy about. Given the deals on offer elsewhere this fee makes it a difficult decision to stay when I wanted it to be easy, I'll PM you.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @JCJCJCJC,

This is not something that we can currently assist with here on the forum. 

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. 

If not, please chat with us.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors