cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Nbn speeds

I currently have nbn connected with fttn and I am currently getting 34mbps download speeds and approx 7mbps upload speeds even though I have added the speed pack to try and get 100mbps which I understand runs at 60-70mbps realistically. 

Should I be getting better speeds even though I'm connected with fibre to the node or are my speeds OK as I am disappointed so far with the nbn network?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Nbn speeds

@Brendo77,

Of all the NBN technologies FTTN is the most variable. Its essentially just boosted up ADSL where they put the node within 1 km of your home instead of within 5km. Its still subject to that distance factor. So if you're 50m from the node you'll get 100Mbps while after 500m you're top speeds will drop. Only 50% of FTTN will get much over 50Mbps realistically (thank the liberal government for its cost cutting on the NBN)

Optus should be able to test your line speed and tell you what the top expected speed you can get is. Actually they're legally obligated to tell you this as they are not allowed to sell you a 'useless' speed pack. Find out what your top speed is and then go from there. 

Unfortunately changing providers won't get you better speeds (as they all use the same NBN cable) however if you find your speeds dropping a lot in peak hour then that is something under the ISPs control and you could look elsewhere for a better ISP.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

thank you for the feedback Peter much appreciated.

I live in a court and the node is at the start of the court approx 100m away so I am still not happy with my speeds when I am so close to the node. 

Optus tonight told me my maximum speed based on there parameters/guidlines for fttn would be 36mbps download Max and 6mbps upload Max I am just getting under this download at 34mbps and upload 7mbps. 

What I don't get 4-5 days ago when I did my speed test using Ethernet cable I was getting 40-45mbps download and 10mbps upload until I called them to ask why my speeds were so low. 

Before the chat session had finished the tech person did some adjustments to improve my speed and make it more secure and in doing so made my speeds worse than before. 

Not sure what they did but it hasn't been the same since? 

At the moment I'm feeling confused as many other tech people give different answers etc? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Brendo,

You court homes are all pretty neighbourly? If you can see if anyone else has joined the NBN and what speeds they are typically getting. Note that to find your top speed you need to test outside of peak time (6pm-1am). If your neighbour is getting 100Mbps then so should you.

So Optus have said 36Mbps is the max likely. Note that this is just an overall estimate based on many factors so isn't an absolute. So its possible to get 45Mbps at some points but then down to 25Mbps at others. At 36Mbps rated you should definitely not be paying for the 100Mbps speed package. Its up to you to decide if you want the 25Mbps or 50Mbps speed package as you are unfortunately stuck right in the middle of those (these two package cost about the same these days anyway). Note its quite ok for Optus to sell you the 50Mbps package if they have told you up front 36 Mbps is the likely max. 

Can't say what the tech person did although it ws probably some tech settings on your modem (they can't adjust the NBN cables themselves). I believe they can tweak it to go faster but the trade off is a higher chance of drop outs. The speed change could also just be a coincidence? You could request they remove any tweaks as presumably your line now has some non standard settings?

At 100m from the node you would normally expect 100Mbps easily. NBNCo only have to provide 12Mbps minimum to a household so I'm not sure if they'd say your line was working fine. I would suggest you request Optus to request NBNCo to send out a technician to see why the line speed is so slow at that distance. Note that you may not be on that node own the street might be one reason.

In the end though, while 36mbps is not great it may be all your home can get for the time being. I've no doubt it will be improved over time (hopefully if one of the above suggestions pays off) but it might be what you're stuck with for a while. Another RSP unfortunately won't be likely to fix the issue (as it appears its the NBN cables) although some ISPs are better than others at dealing directly with the NBN and proctively resolving these issues.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The only thing I'll add to Peter's already stellar advice is to have a think about the existing cabling your house. This is presuming that what Optus told you wasn't quite right and you can actually achieve higher speeds in.

The reason for this is I'm part of a group on Facebook with a great number of ex cable technicians (never been a tech myself) and they regularly talk about how significantly the cabling in your home can affect your end speeds, sometimes by more then 50%. In particular incorrectly disconnect back to base alarms and additional phone outlets seem to play a major role in all of this. 

If you have a few outlets or previously/currently have an alarm system, might be worth seeking out a licensed tech to come out and have a look. This will unfortunately be at your own cost as Optus/NBN only have responsiblity up to the network boundary point which for a house is the first outlet, everything inside is your responsibility. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own