Evening speeds around 11 he is with optus on either fttn or fttp
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Nbn speed

"on either fttn or fttp"

That's a world of difference in capability 🐵

Evening speeds should be around 16Mbps. Not always but on average. If you're getting less then Optus is not supplying enough bandwidth for all its customers on your node (They're legally required to meet the targets they set themselves / advertise) . You should have a chat and if you do decide you're not happy then switching to another RSP is probably the easiest solution.
0 Kudos
CameraMan
Contributor
Contributor

Doesn’t it basically depend on the type of nbn connection you have? Because sorry I forgot who asked the original question but it depends on how your nbn is connected. Fixed wireless is the slowest because it is used in regional areas where implementing wires is expensive and difficult.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@CameraMan,

The technology plays a part but they're in 4 main groups.

1. Fixed Wireless is its own category and has data and speed limits (and often congestion)
2. Then comes FTTN. This is basically like old ADSL with the closer you are to the node deciding how fast you can go. Roughly 50% of houses can get 50-100Mbps. The other half between 25 and 50 Mbps. Its a lottery.
3. Next comes HFC Cable and FTTC. HFC just uses the old HFC network and can do 100Mbps+ easily enough. FTTC is new (again sort of like ADSL but the 'node' is right outside your door.) FTTC can also easily do 100Mbps+
4. And of course FTTP. Which is what we all should have installed as it can do 25-10,000Mbps you just have to turn the appropriate dial. 20% of households are FTTP.

Unfortunately over 40% of households are FTTN and they lost the lottery (although a fair few of them can still get 100Mbps because the node isn't too far away)

But about 70% of the population should be able to hit 100Mbps if they want too. As an aside the NBN is now tweaking Phase 2 of the NBN and all HFC users will be able to go 250Mbps within the next 12 months (70% can now)

FTTP all have access to 1000Mbps but the pricing is bad ($150+) and also the upload speeds are hobbled.

PS The original poster was FTTN and had good speeds already. They just dropped for a yet unknown reason.

kyriacandro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi that's correct I've had almost 50mbps for well over a year im on speed pack 3. They did scheduled maintenance then my speed was terrible I contacted optus and the guy on the phone says the maximum speed you're line can get is 16mbps. What im saying is hows that possible if I've been getting 45mbps for probably 2 years
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So have you progressed this @kyriacandro? Are Optus saying the top speed is 16Mbps and they won't do anything else?

First thing is to just confirm Optus haven't cut you down from NBN50 to NBN25 themselves. They might have done this automatically when they go the NBN line test. So confirm the NBN50 pack is still applied.

If that's not the problem then they need to organise an NBN contractor to look at your line.

What postcode / nearby street are you in?

0 Kudos
CameraMan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,
As I said before check with your neighbours and see if they are having similar issues. I feel like they are supplying the wrong bandwidth per house.
0 Kudos
kyriacandro
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in south Australia 5042 and the optus tech says on the phone the fastest speed the line can get is 16mbps he and I said im on a speed pack etc but he is saying that's the fastest download available on that line and I'm saying to him how is that possible when I've been getting triple that for 2 years I don't know how much more clear I can be with them
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@kyriacandro wrote:
I don't know how much more clear I can be with them

Then you need to either escalate it to a manager or tell them that you want to make a formal complaint. And if that fail, tell them you will complain to the TIO (Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman), that will certainly get their attention.

0 Kudos
kyriacandro
Contributor
Contributor

I just don't understand why they can't tell me why it was getting a certain speed and now apparently the line can only get a third of that
0 Kudos