Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
kyriacandro
Contributor
Contributor

Nbn speed

Hi guys so I've been getting 35-50 mbps download for about a year then last Wednesday we had scheduled maintenance in my area which was fine but the next day the internet was continuously dropping out and the speed was about 10 mbps tops so I talk to a person from optus and they tell me the maximum speed for my address is 16mbps please can some one tell me how that's possible when I been getting close to 40 for over a year
0 Kudos
34 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Nbn speed

Maybe its 16mps now after the maintenance. All you can do is raise a fault with Optus and make sure that they are aware of what you were getting before the maintenance.

0 Kudos
CameraMan
Contributor
Contributor

Have you changed your plan? Also it depends on what type of nbn you are connected to, like fttn/fttp/hfc/fttb etc.

Check with your neighbours too 🙂

Also, please give me a kudos if this helps please...

0 Kudos
kyriacandro
Contributor
Contributor

I've been on the same plan for 3 years im on a speed pack aswell the guy from optus said the maximum speed the connection can get is 16mbps but I know for a fact its been more than double that for over a year and has only happened since the scheduled maintenance
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

As asked, what type of connection do you have? Given you're being told the line rated speeds, I'd assume it is FTTN? 10Mbps is below NBNCo minimum speed limits. Assuming they haven't switched you to another node further away then its likely the scheduled maintenance knocked something and your line is now dodgy.

Thankfully its dodgy enough that the NBN has to come out and fix it. So contact Optus, let them know you had the scheduled maintenance and now the speeds are constantly under 10Mbps. Get them to organise a NBN tech to come out and check your line.
0 Kudos
CameraMan
Contributor
Contributor

16mbps is speed pack 1 so are you getting that? Or did you pay for a different speed pack? Check with the Optus people on the my optus app, and then compare.

Speed pack 1: 16mbps
Speed pack 2: 23mbps
Speed pack 3: 45mbps
Speed pack 4: 85mbps

So compare your speed pack with these speeds.

If this helped please leave kudos.
Thanks
CameraMan
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I forgot to mention these are approximate speeds, and 16mbps is the max off peak speed for speed pack 1
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@CameraMan wrote:
Sorry I forgot to mention these are approximate speeds, and 16mbps is the max off peak speed for speed pack 1

Where are you getting that max speed pack 1 info? Speed pack 1 (NBN12) is max 12Mbps so should be be getting anywhere near 16Mbps. The Optus typical evening speed is 11.1 as shown here.

0 Kudos
CameraMan
Contributor
Contributor

My friend has speed pack 1 and early morning when we tested he got 15.82mbps
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@CameraMan wrote:
My friend has speed pack 1 and early morning when we tested he got 15.82mbps

Interesting.

Is he with Optus? What kind of evening speeds does he get?

0 Kudos