Searching...

Re: Nbn speed

[ Edited ]
ZAZ

I am on 50 getting 28 on wifi 48 on ethernet

Its nit that simple Peter.

so how donwe prove our lack of performance.

you seem to be a spokes person for the moderators  going by the number of postscand your involvement..

and what power and influence do the moderators  have.

ZAZ

Speed varies day to night

tests have been done no faults

no one had attended

I am not aware nor have I been made aware of expected or messured speed.

I will not give up ir let optus off the hook.

psid for 40/50 want 40 or 50

as for comments on wifi most services and devices on wifi very few computers and MACS on ethernet.

so can optus explain about why they insust on ethernet for tests and what they say when only wifi available.

if you think wifi is so bad why do you offervwifi modems?  Everyone does, teltras model in house is based on wfi not ethernet 

Dan_C

I'll post this one publicly as well . Others may find the info useful.

"So can Optus explain about why they insist on ethernet for tests and what they say when only wifi available.

This isn't something that's specific to Optus. All ISP's will ask that you perform a wired speed test. 

Wi-Fi is subject to a lot more interference than a wired connection. There's a number of factors to consider. 

The layout of your home, objects blocking the signal, interference from electrical devices or a neighbours local Network—all these things contribute to Wi-Fi being generally less reliable.

Any type of technology that delivers a service over radio waves is subject to the same limitations (that's not to say that the technology isn''t still improving) 

An Ethernet cable connection is typically faster and more reliable than wi-fi, and can handle the full speed of your plan (due to the reasons I've mentioned above).

if you think wifi is so bad why do you offer WIFI modems?  Everyone does, teltras model in house is based on wfi not ethernet 

We don't offer a "WiFi service" per se. We offer access to the internet via whichever method you prefer i.e. Hard wired, Using the Optus supplied modem or your own modem. 

There are other options to consider, such as WiFi extenders or powerline adapters." 

FYI - @petergdownload isn't a spokesperson for Optus or the moderators. His opinions are purely his own. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Hi @ZAZ,

Preferring wired to wifi is my personal preference, mainly because it removes one big area where transmissions can go wrong due to settings or the environment. But that's just for diagnosis. Wifi is great (when you get it working as you want) but its also temperamental and prone to many points of failure.

FWIW Optus (and any Telco are largley only responsible for getting speeds to the main modem. After that wifi performance is variable and no minimum is promised etc. As long as the Optus modem is capable of getting some wifi signal to your devices, Optus has fulfilled its duty.  

So the wired peed is generally what is focussed on. FWIW the NBN industry (and governing bodies like the ACCC) have agreed that an 'effective expected peak hour speed'. For Optus they say this is around 40Mbps on a 50Mbps plan. Currently its 45 in real life. This is not a minimum but just a ball park your can mostly expect to get. If you're getting well under 40Mbps for long periods then you can definitely complain, hopefully more easily.

Perhaps check whether your line is on an 'aggresive' connection setting?

For the mods, I personally think they're the best service option within Optus. Can take a bit longer to start and have the conversation but they seem to have a pretty good handle on a lot of the backend stuff and who and where to go to fix something. However in your case the issue might seem to be the underlying NBN FTTN to your home? Which would need Optus to chase up with the NBN for you.

Peter Gillespie

NBN and as @Dan_C says, my comments are mine alone Smiley Happy

Highlighted

ZAZ

12 weeks

three modems

no change

as for wired been in any lounge rooms lately

family sit there with in my case

ipad mini

ipad

MAC

casting box from google.

daughter is building a brand new house asked builder where is cat fuve cable and data points

he looked at me in amazement.

my three slim line medion laptops have no ethernet sockets

scanner printer from brothervwifi only.

casting dingles wifi.

neither dies my phone or  my ipads or my android.

very few have 5 g so black modem partially good 

30% on 5 g rest if house on 2 g

pursuing the ethernet demand is flawed.

do a poll here hm using wired connection in their homes?

your moderation advice does not fix snything most users here would not know a wired ethernet port if they fell over it.

Dan_C

I'm sure that would be the case with the majority of our subscriber base.

I think the point @petergdownload and I are trying to make is that Ethernet is always going to outperform WiFi.

No matter what. There's so many articles out there worth reading, It''d be hard for me to link just one.

Could your WiFi performance be improved? Sure. It's still not going to go perform as fast as an Ethernet connection.

WiFi technology is improving and will continue to improve. There are modems you can purchase with 802.11ax WiFi (however they come with a high price tag) 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Wifi is great, but it takes

IMO your daughter is correct in running cat5 through the house. It costs almost nothing to run the cables now. A recent innovation in wifi is modems able to act together as a mesh. You have a unit upstairs a unit in the kitchen a unit in the a unit in the bedrooms. Best world they should all plug into a wired point in the room. They can then connect up and blanket your home in fast wifi that is seemless (i.e. wander around and you have just got good wifi). Meanwhile a few other points have wired - like the main TV, study, any kids desks.

Some examples might be google wifi. Or Asus AI Mesh that I use a couple of units

Wifi and wired. Work brilliantly together but one without the other is only half the story.  

Optus provide a set wired speed that they are accountable for. As a wifi modem its pretty average and just does the job okish. If you want to get better performance then you'll need to pay for that yourself.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
40 Kudos
32 Kudos
25 Kudos
23 Kudos