cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Coolpantcate
New Contributor

Nbn constantly dropping out

This has been going of for maybe a month or two now and it's really annoying. So practically everyday, anywhere during 1 PM to 5 PM the internet connection in my house will completely drop out, then come back online for a few minutes, then drop out again. This will happen during the duration of 1 PM to 5 PM and it happens consistently. Yes we've contacted optus multiple times regarding this situation, and yes they've told us the same things over and over again like how they'll conduct investigations or how to restart the modem (at this point I'm an expert). Does anyone have or have had this problem and do you known if I can do something about this? I live in Macquarie Fields and moved from Canley Heights and my internet connection back there was a lot better than here and I didn't have NBN back then. Here I only got an extra 2 MB/s download speed and a connection that constantly disconnects.
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Nbn constantly dropping out

What NBN technology do you have? FTTN?

Does restarting the modem immediately restore the connection?

About how many drop outs a day would you say you have? 2? 10? 50?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Sounds like you are on NBN HFC. If so, yours appears to be a common problem with (NBN) HFC. Optus probably cannot do anything to improve things for you.

The real blame lies with our beloved politicians who decided that they could roll out an NBN quicker/faster/cheaper rather than a mostly FTTP NBN. It's not very quick (original promise was for 2016), definitely not faster, and appears to not be (much) cheaper.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Restarting the modem usually restores the connection but then it will just disconnect a few minutes later anyway. And for the number of times it drops out, I would say anywhere between 5 to 10 times during the span of 3 PM - 5 PM. And for the technology, I'm not too sure sorry.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Try find the tech at NBN Address Check

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

FTTN? HFC?

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
New Contributor

It says HFC

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

OK. So as Newline says, HFC is a bit prone to drop outs for some households. It should be fixable.

You've done the initial steps. At this point ask Optus to request a NBN tech is sent out to check your line. Optus btw have a record of all dropouts you have experienced.

Peter Gillespie
New Contributor Paquicamus
New Contributor

Hi Coolpantcate,
Same thing has happaned to me. They escalate and change the modem(blackone). Since then, the problem seem to have been solved. Another of their recommendation was to disconnet the power cable from the modem ONCE per week. Something to do with static electricity accummulation in the modem.
Occasional Contributor RegdeRuiter
Occasional Contributor

I am having the exact same issues with my NBN, and an Optus tech is coming Monday. I am being sent an Optus Internet assistance kit due to the issues I am having, though it looks like arriving after the technician lol
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Good advice, Paquicamus! Glad to hear a change of modem resolved your issue.

Let us know how you go after the tech visit, RedgeRuiter.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos