cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Nbn connection

Hi,

I recently had nbn connected at the installation appointment. I’ve setup the modem and tried all the trouble shooting advice (reset and off and on etc) but it’s still not connecting. I have 2 phone line ports in the house.   One is a new one that has the dsl line connection. One has the old phone plug connection. Just wondering if one or both of these should work and how Can I change the old phone plug connection to the dsl one? 

25 Replies
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Nbn connection

Hi @Jen88 and welcome.

Have you receive an activation SMS from Optus saying that your service is active? So the tech comes to your house to install the new phone port? Did he activate the service for you during the instalation? Did he/she advise you on where to plug in the modem? I suggest you to contact optus via live chat to confirm that service is active and which port to use. I would unplug everything from all the phone ports. Then try out one at a time to see which one is active. Sometime they might install the active port in your garage. Maybe look around the house to check if there is another phone port. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I got the text message to say it was now connected and it was all good to connect the modem. My dad was at home waiting for them to call 30

mins prior (as advised) but they never called. He didn’t even know they had been and gone...? Strange I know! 

I have 2 connections so maybe it’s just the other one that I need to try to connect to. Just need a different plug. I think I’ve found them at officeworks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

sounds like you have FTTN as described here

https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/nbnco2/learn-about-the-nbn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-node-exp...

What was connected to the 2 telephone ports prior to NBN? Have you received the modem from Optus? Plug in the phone line to the modem as described above. Log into your modem and see what the error message.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’m not sure what was connected previously as I’ve only lived here 18 months and haven’t had anything connected in that time. 

Ive got the modem and connected it to phone line 1. Error message says no internet connection check cables.  

Phone line 2 has an old plug so I can’t connect it to try. 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

50% chance its phone line 2. Head to the shops (Middays)? and grab whatever adapter you need.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Jen88, any luck since last night?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No. I’m still without internet. Every time I call optus they say someone will ring be back and they don’t. I just get text messages to say appointment times, that it’s working or I should connect the modem. Latest message is they are sending a new modem. 

Worst part art is I organise to be home and take time away from work for these appointments and no one turns up. 

i Really hope this isn’t what it will be like dealing with optus in the future. I moved from Telstra for that reason

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Have you tried the second phone plug yet?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes. No success

0 Kudos