Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN.

Hi

I am currently with optus and using cable internet .

Can anyone tell me if I switch to NBN with optus , does optus use the same cable for NBN or the twin copper wire  ?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN.

To answer your question it depends on which technology the NBN is using to connect to your home. Seems likely it will be cable but it also might be FTTN or FTTC (both of which use the old copper lines and no cable). Check here  to see which it is (Let us know). 

Assuming its cable, then definitely the existing Optus cable will NOT be used. NBNCo bought both the Telstra and Optus cable networks but found the Optus network was too poor to support so many more users at high speed. As such it will be scrapped entirely in the next few years. If you don't have an existing Telstra cable to the home then NBNCo will come out and attach one to your wall. Its likely to be an aerial connection from the street.

Note that Optus is cancelling the contract of any cable users on their end once the NBN arrives (about 3 months after). This is so they can shut down their network and save $$. This means you are free to stay or leave without any contractual penalty.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I checked it is FTTC  for my address, so it means it would be twin copper wire connection ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yes that uses the wire connection in from the street. Good news is there's usually no setup involved. You just request the NBN and you'll get sent out a modem to plug in and away you go. 

It would be really fantastic if Optus didn't shut down your old cable account when the NBN goes live (so you can confirm its working properly) not sure if Optus don't do this or if sometimes they just shut it down anyway no matter what you request.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie 

PS FTTC is the second best NBN technology (after FTTP). Easily does 100Mbps and can be upgraded even furtther down the track if desired.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Just a forewarning with FTTC, if your Optus services connected to a white box on the side of your house, it may not be as simple that @petergdownload described.

It may require a tech to reconnect it to the old Telstra copper cabling that they've used for FTTC. But that's not a hard job.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.