cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN

Hi i have NBN crap. It is in garage seems to be to far away for good connection. Son can't play Xbox, super slow to load computer etc. Can i get the power connector thingys (from optus) to try and get better speed etc. Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN

So nothing to do with NBN then? NBN provide a connection point to your property. What you do with it after that is your decision.

What sort of NBN do you have? FTTP, FTTN or HFC cable? What plan speed are you on 12? 25? 50? or 100?

Are you currently connecting everything via wifi?

Simplest way to bring the connection to a better place is just buy a 30m CAT5 cable and plug it in to the garage modem and then rollit out to your house.

The power adapters may also work well but its not a given. Sort to buy them here

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

100 i am on, think it Fttp. I can not have a cable running through the house. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes WiFi connect

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok,

So you have a hose (100 FTTP) providing internet to your garage that you then pipe through a straw (wifi) to your home. 

Not criticising, just painting the picture. 

As an aside, If you wanted to save money you could drop the 100Mbps to 50 or even 25 without much difference in speed available in your house.

I would strongly suggest you look at how you could run a cat5 cable from your garage to a wall in your home. Under floor, trench, in the roof, etc. Its cheap and you can plug your modem in, inside your home which would provide much better wifi. You could also then plug the power adapters in inside your home to provide even better connection to other rooms.

You can also try the power adapters which will likely improve the situation. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter the joys renting it is where it is and i will try alternative ways. All new to NBN. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Figured it was renting. 

But nothing stopping you just rolling out a cable and tucking it in through a side window. Looks a bit ugly but that's the trade off.

Regards

Peter Gillespie