Searching...
Highlighted
infotran

What is the best way to achieve the NBN speeds that you are paying for ? Optus's solution seems to be either give a checklist of "it's anybodies fault but ours", offloading to a customers forum or  having an online complaints form that either does not go anywhere or if it does go somewhere is never answered. Telephone !! you are joking. when you do eventually talk to someone they have to repeat everything several times before you can understand what they are saying. When you can understand what they are saying it's obvious they are following pre-prepared scripts and you have to phrase your question to fit the prepared answer rather the other way round. If you reach a point where they have run out of prepared answers suddenly the connection drops out. I have speed results that show since my cable connection was "upgraded" to NBN my speeds have halved. Can anyone recommend how I should proceed. 

Re: NBN

petergdownload

The first thing to confirm is what NBN speed tier you are on (paying for)?

The 'standard' Optus NBN speed is 50Mbps (Cost is $75 or $99 month). Have you ordered the Speedboost for another $30 a month.

Note that moving to the NBN involves a completely new contract and terms (and pricing). You don't just continue with what you had before.

Peter Gillespie

infotran

As on cable connection I was getting downloads in the 40's I didn't think a Speed Pack would be required. With an NBN connection and Optus supplied equipment I am now getting download speeds in the 20's. My personal equipment has not changed so I can only conclude thar the dramatic loss of speed is due to Optus connection or equipment. Incidentally do you know if the Crowd is monitored by Optus technical personel. Seems a bit like going to the doctors, filling in a form with your symptoms, pinning it on the waiting room notice board, going home and hoping some other patient reads it and gives a diagnosis ..... Strange world.

Solution

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

40Mbps is a strange speed to have had on Optus cable (they only sell two plans at 30Mbps and 100Mbps)

If you are getting speeds in the 20s then its possible Optus have set you to the 25Mbps speed teir on the NBN. You need to contact them and ensure you are on the 50Mbps speed. If you're not getting 40ish from Optus NBN on HFC cable then something is indeed not configured correctly or broken. You might need to ask Optus to get a NBN tech to come out and test your line from your end. Regardless you can ask them to test your line speed from their end any time and it would be interesting to see what they say.

Speed tests should be all done wired BTW, not wifi.

No the forum isn't a good place to get Optus staff directly. You're basically talking to other Optus customers here who can offer helpful advise hopefully. You need to try LIVECHAT or OPTUS FACEBOOK or the mobile APP for a more direct response. Unfortunately it can take a fair while and you can take a bit to get connected to someone who can actually help.

Peter Gillespie

ninkasi

When you move to nbn you may have also changed the router your other kit is plugged into - it's always possible that if you are performing the speedtest over wifi that the new router is having issues, perhaps a clash with another router nearby running on the same channel. To rule that out, you may be able to get onto the modem itself to check or you can try to plug your pc directly into the local router. 

Also keep in mind that nbn is using different technology to what you had before. You may for example have previously been using Optus cable but it has now been changed over to FTTN which uses a hybrid of copper from your home to where the nbn fibre node is located - and basically the new modem uses adsl from your house to the node, and the performance can suffer depending on distance. In short, there are a lot of potential areas where things could go wrong - best option is to complain to Optus and they can test it remotely and if there is an issue, can hopefully resolve it. I've found online is the better of the two evils, or if you call them to jump on the option to have them call you back if that is provided. Whatever happens, make sure you ask for a reference number so you can quote it should you need to contact them again - oh, and write that down along with the date/time and what was discussed. Good luck!

Solution

AlistarS

Some good suggests from both @ninkasi & @petergdownload

@infotran

1) Definitely chat with us over Live chat, Facebook or Twitter. We'll first go in and confirm which NBN speed tier you're on. Peter did mention this, but we'd only began offering the 50/20 speed pack by default towards the end of last year. Before that time, the 25/5 was provisioned by default. If that's the case, we should be able to switch you to the 50/20 speed pack free of charge. For information on average peak download speeds, check out our NBN speed comparison page

2) I'm not sure which NBN technology type you're using, but if you have an FTTP connection - plug your desktop/laptop directly into the assigned UNI-D port on the NTD. If you don't have an NTD, an Ethernet connection to the modem will work just fine. Run a speed test and compare the results with a test performed over WiFi 

3) Are you using our dual band AC modem? If so, try switching between the 2.4 & 5Ghz Networks. The 5Ghz Network is faster but has a lower transmission radius. The 2.4Ghz is best when you're further away from the modem. 

If we do have you on the correct speed pack, we’ve determined that there’s enough capacity in the area and you’re using our most up to date modem – we’ll raise an investigation.

infotran

I am reluctant to say my problem has been solved at this point, but. Having worked through some of the suggestions posted and having disconnected and reconnected everything suddenly my download speed has doubled. I can't point to anything that would suggest it was the cause of the slow speed but fingers crossed things seemed to be OK now. Ever cautious I am going to see how things go over the next week and will post any further developments later. Thanks to those that have taken time to hopefully have solved my problem.

petergdownload

Its regretable that the process is so mysterious and frustrating. I'm not sure Optus could tell you what finally went right. Some of this is on the NBN, some on the household but a good RSP is being paid to sort these issues on your behalf. Thanks for letting us know it seems to have come good.

AlistarS

Glad to hear we're making a bit of progress @infotran

Keep us updated. 

infotran

My slow NBN seems mysteriously to have solved itself. I can't point to any of the replies as the one that solved the problem so I would like to thank all those that took the trouble to suggest solutions.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos