cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Helplease
New Contributor

NBN

I was advised tonight by 2 optus representatives that the NBN is fiber all the way to my house. Is this correct? How do I find out if this is correct? I have just signed up for NBN because of slow ADSL speeds. 0.39 mbs. They tell me this is because I am 4 Klm from the exchange. I have never been told that before. I have been an optus customer for about 20 years.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
New Contributor Helplease
New Contributor

Re: NBN

I am in Petrie Qld. And also would like to know how to contact the telecommunications ombudsman as this issue has been ongoing for years and the information and communication from  this company has not been upfront and the assistance from over seas India and Filipinos is not sufficiently fixing problems. The help lines are there do not work and are there in name only.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can check your NBN type and availablity at the Optus NBN page - just type in your address. All ISPs have this feature so search on any of them if you want more confirmation.

Seems like you are in for a treat. As you should be able to get 50 times your current speed without breaking a sweat on the NBN. 4km is getting to the limit of ADSL distance so you having slow speeds now is no surprise. None of the Telco ever shared info on houses distance from the exchange. It was what it was and you got the speeds that you got. The good news is that the NBN now runs the wires (fibre) to your home and is required to guarantee minimum speeds (25, 50 or even 100). So Telcos now have no excuse for not providing those speeds.

The bad news is that Telcos appear to be cutting corners with providing sufficient bandwidth for their customers (and Optus has had a fair share of critisism - see post immeadiately under yours). So its possible your actual speeds may still vary. Keep an eye on peak hour speeds (google speedtest for an immeadiate speedtest any time). If you find the speeds drop 7pm-11pm then it means the issue is the Telco, not the NBN. If they are consistently low then its more likely the NBN is at fault.

But lets go positive. Smiley Happy Many people are very happy with their shiny new NBN and here's hoping you'll be one of them.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Aman_B

Hey @Helplease, we’re sorry for the delay getting back to you. If you’d like to chat to us right now, you can chat with our Live Chat team here: http://yesopt.us/chat2us.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Telecommunications Ombudsman...how to complain:

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Have all your ID and account number on hand as you need these to fill out the online form.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors