Searching...
Highlighted

NBN wi fi

Zog

Having recently migrated to NBN from Optus cable I can say it is not one of my better decisions. The Optus installation process was a joke - three different appointment times in one day and not one of them kept on time. The technician did not produce or offer any identification. Not very professional.

Now there is the Modem. The wi fi has a range of maximum 12 metres - less than half of what I had on cable. So unless I am sitting in the same room as the modem or very close by I have no wi fi service. Optus tell me that this is standard for their Modem. I was also told that Optus offer wi fi as an extra and that they are only required to provide a DSL cable connection. Of course this was not mentioned before I agreed to go to NBN. If it had been mentioned I would most certainly have looked for another carrier. I also had to ask for an increase in download speed which was initially promised but not delivered. No doubt somebody was hoping that I would not follow up on their promises. 

I must say that after close to 20 years with Optus I am extremely disappointed with their overall performance with my NBN installation and particularly with the quality of the equipment supplied.

Be warned. Think very carefully before you sign up with Optus for NBN.

Re: NBN wi fi

figuresofstick

Hi Zog,

There are lots of things that can impact the range of your wireless, such as the channel that the modem is on, the material used in the structure of your building, proximity of other things that produce radio waves on or around the same frequency

I'll give you an example, with my current modem at my house I can get a range of about 20 metres, however I recently took it to my parents house as they were having wireless issues, I achieved a range of just 7 metres which is significantly less that you're achieving. I was able to achieve a better range by changing the channel that the modem, along with having the luxury of being able to situation the modem in a better position within the house.

In regards to your speed it is likely that when your service was provisioned that it was set to the wrong speed. I highly doubt that it would have been done deliberately as that would be illegal.

Regards,

Chris

Zog

Chris

The new modem is in exactly the same position as the old modem and nothing has been changed structurally in the house. The only new addition is the NBN box in the same room which the Optus technician was aware of. If this was likely to cause interference to the modem the technician should have been aware of this and should not have installed the modem where it is.

In view of the above I believe that it is fair to say that the new modem is of inferior quality when compared with the old modem. 

Changing channels is an option which I will try.

Nghi

Please let us know how you go with changing the WiFi channel. You can also install Apps on your phone to do a scan and work out what channels your neighbours are using and switch to less congested one. I'd also recommend placing modem as high as you can as WiFi signals propagate down. 

Marshy

I am a Mac user. My current setup uses an ADSL Optus supplied Speed stream modem, as my Optus supplied wifi modem died of a power surge. Luckily, I kept the old one! The modem is connected to the Wan port of my Apple Time capsule and then my IMac is connected to a Lan port , all via Ethernet cables. The Airport Timecapsule is used as my wifi base station. Everything works fine, I just connected my Airport TC and it was a goer.

I have just signed up for a FTTN NBN with Optus. I am hoping that it will work, just by connecting the TM to the modem, just like the ADSL. I also want the phone service to continue. 

Will this be the case?!!?

Judging by the posts I have read, I doubt it, as most people RUBBISH the Optus supplied Sage modem.

If lots of people are complaining that this modem is absolute rubbish and crap, why is Optus NOT doing something about it. I.e. Supply a different brand or allow people to BYO modem.

If my nbn setup does not work, I will cancel it, and go back to adsl. Better slow speed than no speed!, and look for a better ISP.

WAKE UP OPTUS!, and listen to your customer complaints!, 

I will now also have to buy a UPS to keep it all going. In some regards, the nbn is a backward step.

Jiefu

From what I have read elsewhere, this sagemcom modem has been put under the microscope by some tech experts. One of the first things that was commented on was the wireless amplifiers had been removed and in the place of them was just plain wire bridging. This would explain the poor WiFi transmission capability of the unit. When these guys contacted the parent company to see why it was removed or if they could obtain the part and refit it, they were advised that this is a unit only supplied to OPTUS and they have no control over the clients requirements, they build to specifications required.

As to why OPTUS take this attitude of couldn't care less about the end user, is beyond me, especially when like myself there seem to many 20year customers who are ready to give them back the modem and all that goes with it and all because they wont let us use or tell us details so we can use our own VOIP Routers.  By now they surely must be fully aware that they have a white elephant and to persist with serving it will only cost them more customers and good faith.  The packages they offer are as far as I can tell the better ones out there, but they are sabotaging themselves with bad publicity and angry customers now for a good 12 months and all over a POS VOIP/ROUTER and notwanting to tell anyone the secrets to setting up their own.

As Derryn Hinch used to say "Shame on you OPTUS..! SHAME...!"

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!

Buddo

My experience exactly. I have been with Optus for 10 years and requested a relocation of my service to the new house 6 weeks prior to the move and then the nightmare began with hours of calls and no outcome. This post is a year later and clearly there has been no change or attempt to remedy the issues customers are facing. Optus Yes router has limited range and I also cannot connect to my Time Capsule. 

[ Edited ]
Buddo

Jiefu

Hi Buddo, it is a sad state of affairs, especially when the opportunity to prove that they can be so much better than the current big Telco is just sitting there for the taking.  I guess, this is a sign of the times though, the end user means very little to any of the corporate giants, be it Telecommunications, Energy supply or even the Fuel Chain outlets.  The ACCC is just like the UN, a toothless tiger. The can roar and make a lot of noise but ultimately they can do nothing or maybe it is they want to do nothing because it would mean they have to get up and actually do some serious hard work.

As I said in my previous post, OPTUS have some of the best package deals going, but they are falling short in many areas. Whilst most of these are technical and will be addressed, the serious one of customer based support and satisfaction is not. This is far from anything on the agenda these days and unless you persist and discuss with them, You will hit a blank wall.

One thing that many public memberrs do forget though, They often call up as a last resort and are completely frustrated, at their wits end with the service faults and issues. When they speak to someone at OPTUS, if they do not respond in clear and concise english, their mood escalates and of course this leads to a negative attitude almost from the instance the call centre responds.  I know it is unfortunate to have this language barrier as it is frustrating enough with your service being crappy, but just for one moment, imagine being in the operators shoes and doing a 6-8 hour shift and responding to lord knows how many people with a like minded thought process.  Scary to say the least. They are there to be the first point of contact and not the first point of abuse. I do admit some have attiudes, but ask yourself why..?  I treat every one that I speak to with the same respect I would expect in return and I have to say, I have by far more success in resolving my issues, usually first time. I also get the name and employee number as a record and note this down with date and time.

Of course none of this absolves the corporate identity from the failure to come back down to providing the service that they promised in the first place. Here, also the problem goes further when it is allowed to continue without checks and balances in our country by the one and only body that should be doing such things.

So many faults, so easy to fix and yet so far from ever happening. From corporate greed to inept government laziness and the need to keep costs so low that all infrastructure is offshore and tendered out to the cheapest bidder.

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!

Buddo

Hi Jiefo,

I agree with you and do feel bad about venting at the telephone operators, who do have a pretty lousy job. Unfortunately, it is impossible to talk to anyone with authority who should take some responsibility for the ineptitude of the company. I must also add that I have had hours of 'respectful' conversations but when one gets to the 20th hour over a 5 week period talking to umpteen people, none of whom can answer any questions or you get different answers from different telephone operators, the it becomes extremely difficult to keep ones frustrations in check. The overall level of incompetence, lack of service is mind boggling!

This is not a cheap service and as a tax payer, I have already spent a fortune on the NBN which is not delivering the speeds I see in Seoul, Singapore, Taiwan etc. So I am stuck with a 10m range wireless modum router that is slow and unreliable and I have no answer as to how this can be changed. I can't even buy my own wireless router as I was told it would not connect to the NBN modum.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
89 Kudos
54 Kudos
28 Kudos
20 Kudos
19 Kudos