Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Floppinab
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN via HFC gone BAD

Hi there,

Really need some help.

About 4 weeks ago my home Internet Optus service(NBN via HFC in inner west Sydney) has got really bad.

Web browsing pretty poor, 

multiple retries required for most connections in various services.

some things don’t work at all. My VPN refuses to connect. When I wifi my iPhone, AppStore does not connect.

have tried Optus online and voice support and got nowhere.

would appreciate any help, I’ve got a pretty unusable service right now.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN via HFC gone BAD

What do speed tests show?

What speed plan are you on?

Are you connected to the modem as wired or wifi?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Tano
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Floppinab, clarifying the details @petergdownload has proposed would make it easier for us to diagnose. Feel free to send through a private message with your internet username, full name and DOB and I can take a look from my end as well. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Floppinab
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

I'm on Plan ID 604219.

Should be on Speedpack 3, 40Mbps.

Issue the same whether connected via wifi (2.6Ghz or 5Ghz) or via cat5 direct to the router, so it's nothing to do with local wifi conditions. Service had been perfect since we came across to NBN around 9 months back but just went bad 3 or 4 weeks ago.

On speedtest takes 2,3, 4 more attempts before it works. This error comes up pretty regularly

Download Test Error

A socket error occurred during the Download test. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later.

When it does work I get Downloads 37Mbps and uploads around 13Mbs during evening time. Pings vary a lot htough between 12 and 80ms.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I think you've largely ruled out internal issues. Potentially a broken modem but unlikely.

Sounds like the classic issues plaguing the HFC NBN that caused the rollout pause (Too much cross talk in the wires and junctions)

I'd say you need to ask Optus to arrange an NBN tech to investigate.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Floppinab
New Contributor
New Contributor

That was my initial reaction Peter but the fact my VPN never connects and Apple AppStore also never connects suggests there is something else at play.

With my limited knowledge I though some sort of port blocking, optimisation going on but I just don't know.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It might be internal Optus settings. They do have some traps with VPNs and ports and forwarding etc. The speedtest error though appears a generic response to a failed attempt so I wouldn't read too much into it. Do other speed test sites also fail at the same time? 

You could also try doing a tracert to say the speed test IP or other Ips to see if some point along the trip is failing in particular.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos