Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: NBN speeds getting worse - unable to stream Netflix as well on 25MBPS NBN as old ADSL @ 2.5MBPS

Hi @DomainBG Dan isn't currently in the office at the moment. I'm happy to get in touch however and request any updates in regards to this. We'll be in touch as soon as we have some additional information to provide. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBN speeds getting worse - unable to stream Netflix as well on 25MBPS NBN as old ADSL @ 2.5MBPS

Hi Phil, to keep the office running smoothly is there a way to use the wifi 4G modem with the Optus NBN modem/router so that the 4G modem takes place of the NBN modem? Cheers, David
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Telstra has arrived unannounced and apparently without Optus knowing (or Optus would have advised?) and the troublesome aerial cable is being replaced as I type this. Happy to see them here, but surprised that we weren't advised of the visit. Whatever it takes to get it fixed! 🙂 Regards, David
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Update: The aerial cable has been replaced. The NBN performance has not improved which demonstrates to me that it was not the aerial cable, the fault is elsewhere. Upload speed still very slow at below 1Mbps, download hovering around 12Mbps (on a 25Mbps download service) Do we wait for Optus to contact us to check if the repair was successful and let them know then?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Dan_C. Since our last contact I have had a courtesy call from Optus on December 24 to advise that there was noting to advise. That was the last contact. Yesterday a Telstra contractor arrived unannounced and changed the aerial cables to the premises to new cables. Unfortunately this did not repair the issues. The line does seem more stable in that we are constantly getting the same poor speeds - out of the possible 25 Mbps down/5Mbps up that were offered when we signed up we are getting around 11Mbps/1.0Mbps off peak. Wasn't in the office during peak to be able to check it last night. These are speeds we would expect from a NBN12 package, not NBN25! Up until two months ago we had speeds of 20/3.5 at all times off peak. Currently the modem is reporting that it is connected at 13129kbps... we were regularly connected at 21000kbps up until early December when the connection suddenly became flaky. We have had no follow up from Optus since the Telstra visit yesterday morning so we do not know if the fault has been logged as fixed or not, although the Telstra lineman acknowledged that it wasn't fixed. Meanwhile our office number is still diverted to my mobile which is inconvenient. Also, on advice from Optus we purchased a wi fi modem & 4G data to keep the office connected, which we were advised would be reimbursed by credit on our account. There has been no mechanism put in place for that to happen. Can you please find out for us what the status is of all of the above. I am also posting this private message in the forum thread in case you are not about so someone else can answer it. Cheers, David
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Here we are 2 months on from reporting a fault and being told to buy a 4G wifi modem and data from an Optus shop for reimbursement against our business account and we are still waiting for resolution of the fault, not to mention hassles in trying to get our reimbursement. Optus is a joke at the moment regarding customer relations and service, and as soon as all of these issues are cleared our business will be moving on, absolutely sick of being fobbed off, non-productive time chasing it up, paying for a service we are getting only half of. Since the mechanical side of the fault has been fixed (replacement of aerial wiring into premises) our DL speed has dropped to half of what it had been early December, and UL speed only 20%. We are told via private message here that "we will look into it" and "the ticket is still open but I will raise another ticket" and "email the receipt for the purchased modem etc. and we will have the reimbursement processed" (only to provide an incomplete email address to us - more time wasting). Very poor Optus Customer Service - current rating 1/10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sounds exactly like our issue. My speed tests range from 3mbps to 21+ mbps. We also pay for 25mbps. Netflix cannot cope and either buffers or stops. Fetch streaming says there is a problem too.  We are on the Central Coast of NSW.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Not good! Before the problems started we were getting around 20 out of the 25 we pay for. Mid December the speeds became very erratic from nothing to 17. By the time the aerial wiring was replaced we were getting just over 10, and under 1 upload. What a joke! My neighbour down the road is with another provider and his service went out completely (as ours did at times) but it was repaired... they gave him a month credit as goodwill.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Optus, you have one really annoyed customer here. Our business has had no communication regarding resolution, or not, of the fault since early January. All we have had is lip service from staff that watch this forum with a fire extinguisher on hand.Is the fault fixed? If it is fixed why have our speed dropped to 50% DL and 20% UL? Why has the credit not yet been processed against our account for the 4G modem and data that we purchased on Optus insistence on the promise of reimbursement? As soon as I can sort out plans for us for 4 business mobiles, and our business NBN we are out of here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

To keep readers in the loop (Optus seem to have a preference to deal with these things via private message) our business had a three week outage end of December, at which time an Optus operative instructed us to purchase a 4G wifi modem and 100GB of data from an Optus shop and we would have the full costs deducted from our account following submission of the receipt. We ended up only getting a modem and 50GB. After many months the line/service issues are not adequately resolved, but worse is that it took a few months for any credit to occur, and then it was only for the data, not the modem. We have no ongoing use for the modem, and Optus are welcome to come and collect it if they want. When we requested the remainder of the credit we were told we were only ever told that the data would be refunded (a lie) and on pushing it further we are now being told that a recording of the phone call has been listened to and it is clear we were told data only. Interesting that our requests for a transcript of the call is being refused, so we have now requested a sound file of the full recording. At the time I checked with the Optus operator that it would be fully refunded and was told yes. I believe the behaviour of Optus in this is "scandalous", especially as our business has been with them since digital mobiles were first available here, and we more recently had 3 mobiles, 2 landlines, and internet with them. Since this refund issue started we have ported out two mobiles to another provider and network, and have had one landline disconnected. As soon as the third mobile and the NBN service contracts are completed they will go to another provider as well and we will be done with Optus. The treatment that Optus gives loyal customers is contemptuous, I would warn anyone looking to hook up with Optus for NBN to think twice and go elsewhere.
0 Kudos