Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

NBN speeds getting worse - unable to stream Netflix as well on 25MBPS NBN as old ADSL @ 2.5MBPS

Frustration is setting in. When we changed to NBN 5 months ago on 25MBPS plan the SageCom modem was connecting at around 23,000 kbps down (as per modem device info) and we had speeds around 20MBPS (not great out of the 25 we pay for). Since then it has been deteriorating. Am getting tired of constantly restarting the modem, our devices, etc. etc., often to no improvement. Then there are the dropouts, which as an example were enough last night to put a halt to us streaming Netflix, even though we had gone through the restart ritual yet again! Currently the modem is reporting connection at 20,200 kbps down and speed tests show around 16 to 17 MBPS, quite a drop off in 5 months. We are now experiencing dropouts during week days of around 5 a day, some enough to temporarily stop browsing, others enough to disconnect the modem and it often will not reconnect without a restart. Is this what we should be expecting?
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: NBN speeds getting worse - unable to stream Netflix as well on 25MBPS NBN as old ADSL @ 2.5MBPS

Hi @DomainBG, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with your connection speed. Please see our support page for the peak and off-peak guidelines based on your speed pack. If you still have any concerns please get in touch with our Tech Support team.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBN speeds getting worse - unable to stream Netflix as well on 25MBPS NBN as old ADSL @ 2.5MBPS

We contacted support on Friday morning and the issue was not resolved over the phone, even after an hour and a half call (lost income for me). The fault was then elevated and we were advised of an appointment to attend our business premises today between 8.00 and 12.00. All that happened during that time was a deterioration in the service, download now running at approx 1% of what we are paying for, with virtually no upload speed - unusable! It has taken 20 minutes to get to log in here to add this to the thread! At 12.00 we received another SMS to advise that we now have an appointment tomorrow for a technician to attend our business premises. How long will this go on for? We are trying to run a business that requires not only good download & upload speeds but also basic email abilities, which we don't dependably have at the moment. We are relying on using phone data to get by, but we are going to run out of our allowances and then we get charged additional! Not happy! Had to cancel appointments out of the office today to be present for a techo appointment which didn't happen, and now we are having to do the same tomorrow... more lost income! Disgraceful, Optus.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hey @DomainBG,

Ah, I'm sorry that there's been such a delay getting someone out to attend the fault. There is a process that we follow when a customer advises of a potential fault on the NBN network. We first create a fault report on our end; we first need to rule out the possibility of a modem issue or non-network related issue. At the same time we'll perform diagnostics on the line or NBN equipment installed (depending on the access technology type). Based on the report generated, we'll be prompted to raise a service request/restoration.

Once NBN acknowledge the ticket, they'll advise us as to whether a field technician is required to go out and attend the fault. This information is then relayed back to the customer. If a reschedule is required, we'll send out an SMS to let you know.

I'd really need to run through the ticket myself to confirm why there's been such as a delay. Do you have the fault reference or Incident ID handy? I'm more than happy to check on the progress of this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Ref# 17768097

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hey @DomainBG,

I've sent you a private message with further details. Feel free to discuss the matter with us here or via PM. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan, thanks for your private message re the fault & appointments. Apart from having very flaky internet access at the moment which is hindering our business productivity, what is very annoying is being sent an SMS on Sunday advising a techo will visit between 8.00 and 12.00 on Tuesday and at 12.00 on Tuesday we get a follow up SNS advising it will now be Wednesday. As we assume that someone needs to be in attendance in the office we had to change and cancel appointments for Tuesday morning, costing the business money. That was accepted as part of the deal, but when it gets changed to the next day aftern the previously appointed time, then that is very poor organisation and costly to us. Are those SMS appointments sent by Optus or NBN?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Update: Visit from NBN techo mid morning today (Wednesday) and after checking from our modem back he ascertained the problem to be in the aerial wiring to our premises. As we have two lines he tried swapping them but no result. It has been handed on to another department to replace the wiring, no suggestion yet as to when that may happen... in the meanwhile, very flaky broadband.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

I've sent you another follow up message @DomainBG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan, apart from a courtesy call from Optus on Xmas eve to let us know that there was nothing to tell us we haven't had any further info on the status of the fault. Technical assistance told us to go to an Optus shop and buy a pocket wifi modem and 50 gig of data to get us buy, with the idea that Optus will reimburse us by deducting the cost from our account, but no one has been in touch to get the purchase receipt number so this can happen, even though the Xmas eve caller promised to call me on the 27th to get the receipt details (didn't receive a call). Can you find out what the status is, it is driving us crazy. Even though the wifi modem is helping it doesn't integrate with our internal LAN network so it means connecting wirelessly for internet access, then changing over to LAN to access our server, very inconvenient! Costing time, and time = money in our office.
0 Kudos